Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved English language only setting enquiry for k 1.7.2

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #1 by bufc
I wish to have my forum set to English language only (as i wish to able to moderate)

I have quite a few people starting to register whos user names, names and emails addresses are foreign to me...which is fine but they are now starting to post in a foreign language that i cannot understand.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by bufc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic English language only
Thank you for starting what could be a very interesting discussion.

As a general answer, this is more a question about how you decide you want to run your forum than, in my opinion, about finding a technical solution for a basic human problem. Indeed, many forums experience similar issues where people post material in a language other that one that the site administrators and forum moderators may be familiar with. Therefore I would like to offer my suggestions to you in response to the more general question:

What should I do when people post messages in a language other than the one I want them to use on my site?

This site here (at www.kunena.org ) has a policy of requesting that people post in on the forum in English only. Kunena is a product that is used by people from all over the world. We understand that people may not use English as their first language but, by the same token, it's not our job to translate what they write into English (so that we understand what they're asking) and neither should we attempt to translate our answers back in their language either. This is a self-help forum where the questions people ask may help other people, too. That is one reason why we use English so as to make the advice we give more "universal".

We have a number of language-specific categories here, too. These are used only where we have a native speaker of those laguages to moderate the material posted there. This is necessary to prevent the inevitable misuse of our forum for spamming purposes and it relies upon the voluntary efforts of skilled people to patrol the categories and respond as best they can.

I don't know how your forum is set up or for what purposes you use it. If you are concerned about the possibility that people are posting material that is inconsistent with your site policy or code of conduct then it's really up to you to do something about it. One thing you could say is "Please post only in English on this forum" if someone does not adhere to your site code of conduct. If people ignore your friendly warning then you should probably suspend their posting privileges - indefinitely, if you feel it's appropriate.

You could spend some time using Google Translate, for example, to get a feel for what these people are posting. However, if you suspect that your site is being misused, the power is in your hands to deal with trouble-makers.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 10 months ago #3 by bufc
Thankyou Sozzled

I have already taken the step of disabling the users until i fathom how to proceed.

The one post that is now on the site (which i cant understand the language)...how do i delete or hide it ? I cant find the setting to allow me to edit or stop other users posts

More
11 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
When you are logged-in as a forum moderator (or site administrator) you can use the DELETE options from the forum front-end. See Moderator's tools in the Wiki for more information.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #5 by bufc
Thank you once again. I have now deleted the Topic / post from my forum. I have also disabled all users whos language i do not understand and i hope they understand that is purely becuase i need to be able to keep tabs on what is being posted.

I will now try and attach a notice on the forum that explains English only and also what the main purpose the forum is for.

Cheers
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds