Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question [Resolved] How to add a link at the top of every Forum page?

More
12 years 1 week ago #1 by sunny33days
Hi, I want to add a text link at the top of every page in my Kunena forum. Which file (or files) do I need to edit to do this? I just want to add a few text links to other sections of my website directly above each topic, category, and the main index and recent forum pages (basically all pages in the forum).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #2 by sozzled
It's quite easy to add text or anything you want to the top of any page on a Joomla site. Depending on what you want to do, I can't see how Kunena should restrict you in any specific way.

The easiest solution would be to write a custom module and display it in a module position on your Joomla template. That's what I would do. The JED lists several extensions that allow you to build custom modules where you can add whatever HTML you like.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #3 by sunny33days
Hi I tried that, but the links don't look intergrated into forum pages or the Kunean template this way. They're either above or below, or what not, but they don't look integrated into the forum template this way. Isn't their kunena files that I can edit to get them directly inside the kunena template?
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sunny33days.

More
12 years 1 week ago #4 by sozzled
It is easy to write a custom module - out-of-the-box, standard Joomla includes, for free, the ability to add custom module - that you can locate anywhere on a web page. All that you have to do is to find (or create) a module position within your Joomla template to display it. In addition to the module positions that exist within your Joomla site template, there are other module positions provided for you within the Kunena Blue Eagle template. I do not think there is a need need to modify anything.

More
12 years 1 week ago #5 by sunny33days
Thank you Sozzled, I had no idea you could do custom Kunena modules like that. Very cool! I noticed the document only mentioneds module positions for Kunena 1.0, 1.5, & 1.6, but nothing for 1.7. Has anything changed for the current version of Kunena vs. 1.6 positions?

The kunena_announcement" module position would of been perfect, however this module doesn't seem to work right. Instead of left align or center, it places the code/link at the very far right column. Because the right column in the kunena_announcement area is so thin, it makes the module very tall as the links don't fit horizontally in this thin area. I wonder why it was decided to put it in the far right column instead of center where there is much more room to add a link, text, or any custom code.

More
12 years 1 week ago #6 by sozzled

sunny33days wrote: Has anything changed for the current version of Kunena vs. 1.6

I don't think that a lot has changed but that's something you can, no doubt verify youself. ;)

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #7 by sunny33days
Thanks Sozzled, yes I did confirm that all the 1.6 positions work in 1.7 as well, just wanted to make sure no others haven't been added, that I didn't know about. I love the fact you can choose which message number you want to add custom module postions at. This is pretty neat.

The kunena_announcement module position doesn't seem to work correctly with the default Kunena 1.7 template. It places the code vertically at the far right instead of center.

I though about adding links to the Category headers, but doesn't support code there or anchor text links. I'll just put the menu links after message 1 for right now as my closest fix. I would like to put these links above message 1 however, but I don't think this is possible with the current module positions.
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sunny33days.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #8 by sozzled

sunny33days wrote: The kunena_announcement module position doesn't seem to work correctly with the default Kunena 1.7 template. It places the code vertically at the far right instead of center.

... which is exactly the way it's supposed to work, just like you see it here at this site! ;) Saying that it doesn't seem to work "correctly" is untrue. However, if you don't like the way it behaves then you can change the behaviour by adding your own custom CSS rules to your template.

sunny33days wrote: I though about adding links to the Category headers, but doesn't support code there or anchor text links.

I'm sorry but that is, also, untrue. You can use BBcode in category headers (again, see the Index page on this site which shows you examples of links embedded in category headers! See Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1) in the Wiki where this fact (that you can use BBcode in category headers/descriptions) is mentioned.

I think we have properly answered the original question, "How [do you] add a link at the top of every forum page?". The answer is that you write a custom module and display it in a module position - one that is located at the top of a page - of the template you're you've assigned to your [forum] menu items. We'll leave it to you to figure out the fine details of which module position of your template (or some template that you might like to build yourself) you want to use. :)
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds