Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Does anyone have a fix for "Ice Vertical Menu" when used with Kunena 1.7.2?

More
12 years 2 months ago #1 by Marcool
I'm just wondering if my previous post in the subject Strange interaction between Kunena "New subject" page and JS Menu is readable... It just gives me a white screen on my machine (various browsers). Is there maybe a problem with the length of the post, I maybe shouldn't have included so much code in raw format like that...

Could an administrator please look into this for me as it does seem the data from my message is there only unaccessible.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Marcool, and welcome to Kunena.

I also could not read your earlier message and I don't know why. Perhaps it was the raw code that you posted. I assume that you cannot edit you previous message. We don't need always need a lot of detail to understand the problems. Evidently something you posted on the forum caused a problem with the software that was unanticipated. These things happen from time to time and it would seem as this particular problem (caused by something that you previously posted) will have to remain a mystery for the time being.

Perhaps you should read the posting guide printed at the top of this page and start by giving us some information about your Joomla set-up. Your configuration report will give us that information.

You should also read msg #1 of If you are having problems with Kunena, please read this first which addresses Javascript-related problems. Maybe this will help you in your case.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago #3 by Marcool
Ngierk...
I hoped that wouldn't be the answer (although I figured the odds were low...) and that I wouldn't have to retype my message...
That's what I'll do anyway, maybe you could trash the broken thread for me and I'll continue in this one then!

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #4 by Marcool
So here goes...
The config report of Kunena is bellow :

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Missing | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 100M | Max file upload: 32M

Joomla default template details : revatemplate | author: Reva | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: Janvier 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.1 | creationdate: 2011-11-16

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.1 | Build: 5162 | Version name: UnderUret | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.7.1

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

And I also have a fleet of little modules and other things, the main one of concern in this case being Ice Vertical Menu published by IceTheme .

My problem arrises psecifically on the New Subject page... When on any other part of the forum, or of the site, my menu behaves correctly, presinting dynamic JS submenus onmousehover.
But on the New Subject page the menu seems to break somehow and the submenus are printed not in their correct place but aligned with the menus main div on the right...
I know that both this menu and Kunena make extensive use of the mootools library, and I'm pretty sure there must be a conflict in there somewhere.
The thing is I'm nowhere near adept enough at JS to diagnose such a problem, and I'm wondering if you could maybe help me identify where the problem is coming from.
You can obtain a copy of the menu in question here , that and Kunena should be sufficient to reproduce the error (although I have not tested on anything other than my own config).
Please beleive me when I say that I have messed with all the options I could possibly find in both the menu and Kunena, and that I can't find any logical explanation for this in user-standard configuration, nor on the internet.
Here are a few pictures showing the problem :
This is normal behavior:
[IMG

This is the problem
[IMG

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Marcool.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5 by sozzled
You have menu problems. If you want to build a custom menu, please read how to go about doing it: Customised menus .

I suggest that you start by getting Kunena to work "normally" before you experiment with customised menus. Read How do I restore my Kunena menu? I also think you should familiarise yourself with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)

Ugrade to K 1.7.2 (which fixes a lot of problems).

Are you running your website on your local PC under XAMPP for example ... or have you modified your configuration report in any way?

What happens if you do not use that Ice Vertical Menu module. I can't tell you any more because I cannot access your website, but I think the answer to your problem is to read msg #1 of If you are having problems with Kunena, please read this first .

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #6 by Marcool
Hello sozzled,

Firstly, I had read the "If you are having problems with Kunena, please read this first" article before posting, as it's title, nobody can argue, is rather explicit...
On the other hand it seems my post is not explicit enough, as I do not have any problem with the kunena menu, that one is working fine, it is the other menu that breaks when on the New Subject page, not the Kunena Menu.
I have upgraded to 1.7.2 this morning to no effect.
I am indeed working on a MAMP installation to create the website, and honestly I see no reason what so ever for anybody to ever modify their configuration report... I can assure you I didn't anyway! Here it is again just in case :

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Missing | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 100M | Max file upload: 32M

Kunena menu details:

Joomla default template details : revatemplate | author: Reva | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: Janvier 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.2 | creationdate: 2012-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.7.1

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

I do know that this is not a problem with Kunena... I spoke extensively about that in my first post... the one that is broken, and although I was less detailed in the second post (my patience was low at that point), I am only here to ask for help and advice as to what could be breaking the Ice Vertical Menu module when the New Subject page is called, if you could tell me in any way how that page differs from others, apart from the fact that it has a load of <post> in it... that would be helpful in trying to figure out why the module is acting up.

Kunena is a fantastic forum, very customisable and to date perfectly suited to my needs. I can't help but congratulate the whole team for that! I know in my case the problem is with my relatively "old" module, and I would just like help in fixing it.

I have already posted on the forum of the menu developer and I wanted to try and get some help from people who understand Kunena better that me (or them).

Thank's again for a great forum, and for your help in this.
Regards,
Mark.

More
12 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled
Thank you for your reply, Marcool, and I am very pleased that you took my advice to upgrade to K 1.7.2. One of the great new features of K 1.7.2 is that it allows us, as forum moderators here, to have a clearer picture about others' site configurations. In your case I can now see that you are using Kunena on a local PC-based platform - one that no-one else in the world can access in order to be of direct assistance (if that should be the case) - and so, from this time on, we're largely basing our advice from what you can tell us and what questions we think may be relevant to the case.

Putting it simply, this is a case of Support for PC-hosted websites (e.g. WAMP, XAMPP) .

I think that this is still a case of a conflict between the Javascript-driven menu and Joomla's Mootools Javascript library. I cannot tell you specifically how, or in what way, this conflict needs to be overcome. If you have suspicions that the Ice Vertical Menu is the cause of the conflict then it would seem reasonable to take the Ice Vertical Menu from the equation.

I, personally, have no knowledge about the Ice Vertical Menu. For your sake, I have changed the subject of this topic and moved the topic to another category to give others the opportunity to comment and to give you their thoughts on what they have done to fix the Ice Vertical Menu so that it works with Kunena. That's about the best I can do for you. I hope that, for your sake, someone else has an answer. Good luck

More
12 years 2 months ago #8 by Marcool
Hi Sozzled,

To answer simply... this is not a case of PC-hosted websites.
I am not running WAMP or XAMPP, I am running MAMP, which is quite different.
Maybe you should take another look at the configuration dump, or that you reconfigure the configuration dump generator as it should definitely not be telling you that I am on a PC based platform...
I am using a local machine to edit a site that is soon to go live, and the versions of Apache, MySQL and php that are installed on the server and in my MAMP are a match, I don't think it makes any difference that the site be on my machine or online at this stage, although I confess it would be a lot easier to discuss topics like this one!

Anyhow let's set that aside (although this is now in the wrong thread...) and focus on the issue :
I also think this has to be a conflict in Javascript somewhere, and as you say most probably in mootools, but I am not competent enough in using either to be able to find the cause of the error myself, without a few pointer. What use of javascript does Kunena make on the New Subject page for instance...

I will try and dig into the code a little more but I thought that it would be easyer for somebody with knowledge and experience of Kunena to point me in the right direction at least.

Thanks again for your time...

More
12 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled
G'day, Marcool,

It's unfortunate that we really can't directly assist, to see what Javascript is being exercised at the time this problem occurs on your site, for the simple reason that your site is inaccessible. Your site is not on the internet. Firebug for Firefox may be able to help.

As you say, people may download and install the Ice Vertical Menu software and may be able to tackle the problem in that way. Someone may have already done that and may be able to help. If you were able to place your site on the internet, offer a test account, others may be able to help there.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #10 by Marcool
As you say it would be a lot easier if I could take the site live right now, unfortunately I am working for somebody who already has a deal with a webhost, and the server only comes online at the begining of next month... I'm trying to get it all polished before then...

Maybe I could talk about a test server, it wouldn't do any harm to test the upload anyhow!

I'll let you know what I can do!

Thanks for the continued interrest and support. I'm onto firebug right now (although the Chrome debug console was unable to flag anything as illegal for me...)

EDIT : I tested the reply page and Lo and Behold! It works fine on that page!! Does that make any sense to you?!

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds