Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Auto fill in new topic subject with URL

More
12 years 3 months ago #1 by mik0392
Hey there,

I was wondering if there's a way to redirect someone to a new topic page, and have extra parameters in the URL to auto fill in the Subject field?

Any help on this is much appreciated, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
"Auto fill in the Subject field" ... with what? Based on what? Why?

More
12 years 3 months ago #3 by mik0392

sozzled wrote: "Auto fill in the Subject field" ... with what? Based on what? Why?

For example,

I would have "buttons" on the home page, that would have a link like:

index.php?option=com_kunena&view=post&catid=4&do=new&subject=[Support]
or
index.php?option=com_kunena&view=post&catid=4&do=new&subject=[Bug]

if you know what I mean?

Just something small that I like to keep things looking nice.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #4 by sozzled
Perhaps, anywhere from six minutes to six months (or longer) someone may be able to provide you with a free-of-charge feature that will do that. What you've asked for, while I can see could be desirable, is not simple thing to do but, yes, it's quite achievable. I can see that something like this could be done with Javascript (create a popup and feed the radio-button response back into the Subject text field).

It's also just as easy to ask your users to create topics with a more "structured" kind of format ... by hand, themselves.

However, creating separate URL links, on the basis of a radio-button selection, is puzzling to me. What do you expect to happen as the result of resolving the targets of these links:
  • index.php?option=com_kunena&view=post&catid=4&do=new&subject=[Support]
  • index.php?option=com_kunena&view=post&catid=4&do=new&subject=[Bug]
Of course, it's possible to create menu items to create these kinds of URLs. It's my guess that you want the URL "parameters" (generated by those menu items/buttons) to "drive" the backend and thereby part-complete the subject field. In order to drive the backend, you need to script the backend (with PHP). I would not do it that way. I would still use the New Topic button/menu and, when the form is displayed, add a Javascript popup, with radio buttons, to complete part of the Subject entry.

No matter how you do it, though, if you make things too "easy" for your users, they won't think for themselves at all. Interesting idea but I think there will be problems with the execution of it. Just my few cents' worth. Good luck.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #5 by sozzled
There is another way you could achieve a similar result. If I understand your question, you want your users to better "categorise" their questions into, say, "bugs" and "support".

If you setup separate categories for each of these things and then create menu items to direct your users to a specific category, then the [xxxx] part of the subject is redundant. Anything in the "bugs" category is obviously something that would imply "[Bug]" in the subject, woudn't it? Just like we have here, at this forum, separate categories for different things, adding that extra information in the subject is unnecessary, isn't it? If something is posted in the K 1.6 and K 1.7 Support category, the implication is that it's something to do with support for K 1.6 and/or K 1.7. Does that make sense to you?
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds