Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Kunena SEO and last post first

More
12 years 4 months ago #1 by Plugje
My users like to have the Last post first, so I changed the default ordering in the database for new users and in the User Manager from Kunena admin for the existing users. I use Jomsocial so users are not able to go to the Kunena settings and change it themself. So far so good.

I wanted to change it also for guest, so started to search the forum for a solution. Actually I couldn't find a solution but a lot of discussions from people asking for this. Then I reallised that something bad will happen with the links, especcialy find by search engines.

I use SH404 for SEF.
When guest are reading the forum (and a search engine) they get First post first. When I look to the URL this is happening with a topic from let's say 15 posts with 5 posts on 1 page:
When a user is loged in he get's item 15 at the top, so that's page 1 for him. Item 10 is on the top of page 2 and item 5 is at the top of page 3.
When a guest is watching the topic, he gets item 1 at the top, so that's page 1 for him. But item 15 is at page 3 suddenly.
So linking to this post isn't posible, because this link: category/topic/page3#5 (for a loged in user) doesn't work for a guest. And also a search engine get's another page.
And even worser, when the Last post first option is selected, and the topic is growing with new pages, the first item will go from page 3 to page 4, 5 etc...

Without SH404 the URL's are handled by Joomla SEF and Kunena. But more or less the same thing is happening. Only the link will be category/topic?limit=5&start=10

Then I was thinking, wouldn't it be a better solution to take out the page or start in the URL and use the topic numbering range instead?
I my situation it would be: category/topic/1-5, for the next page category/topic/6-10 etc. In this case it doesn't matter anymore how the order is arranged, it always give the same link. Now I can link to a specific item like category/topic/1-5#3.
Ofcourse this only works when you select in the Frontend setting in Reply Numbering Inside Topic the Show Position in Topic option instead of the Show Real Post ID.

What you guys think about this? Or is there another option to get the same results?

I also want to take pictures from the forum and show them in a slideshow. In the slideshow I want to link the picture back to the item, but this is imposible because of the URL. Users loged in go to the item with the picture and guest not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds