Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question submit reply delay 'notice to user'

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #1 by greg
I have Kunena, Jomsocial and JS G-Kunena on my website. JS G-Kunena is a 3rd party component that subscribes every member of a JomSocial group to receive emails of post to the assigned forum. The emails work great in attracting activity to the forum discussions. My issue is with the delay that shows up making a forum post (new thread or reply) when the poster hits submit in a forum with many members subscribed to recieve emails. This delay seems to be longer relative to the number of emails being merged by the Kunena tool.
The delay can be as long as 35 seconds with a subscription of 225 group members. This causes ambitious ,impatient posters to hit submit again and from time to time repeated submits have caused 5 to 8 emails sent and post made to the forum with the identical content.

I am not sure this needs to be fixed I was thinking more of how can I display a message while the submit process works like " Hang-on while I address emails, stuff the envelopes, lick the stamps and send the mail. this process may take more than 45 seconds" There is a message
or
Is there a way to not recognize a second and subsequent submit click on an identical post?
thank you in advance on your anticipated reply.
**** sozzled ****, I did do a search and found few replies that answered my question or considered the user notice
Greg
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by greg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by Cerberus
This is a question for the makers of JS G-Kunena and not the guys here as to me it seem like it their module is causing ur issue and not kunena itself as i have 2 site running K1.5 and one running the dev version of K1.6 and i dont have this issue.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
:laugh: Well, you know what I think! But seriously, this is exactly one of the things that I fear about sending emails to people every time that a new message is posted on the forum. It's not just that I think it's an unfair imposition on your users that seems to defeat the purpose of having a discussion forum in the first place. Why not just correspond with one another by e-mail and be rid of the forum? :ohmy: It's not just the unfair burden on your users but there's additional burden put on your server to generate those emails. Yours sounds like excellent case study for others to learn about the dangers of wanting to send emails to all users who are members of your forums.

I know nothing about JS G-Kunena except from the one or two discussions here that I saw and the result that a couple of people had to remove it from their sites because it was causing other problems. As Cerberus stated, there may be an issue to be addressed to the developers of that software.

However, if there's an unacceptable lag between the the time your users push the "submit" button in Kunena and when they can read what they just posted - and it should not surprise you to know that the average human attention span is only 2 seconds before people begin to grow impatient - then you need to do something to reduce that delay or place a message on the screen saying "Please wait - don't press any buttons". There's your solution! :)

It sounds like you already have a very active forum. You've achieved what you set out to do. Maybe it's time, now, to retire the lure that you used to generate the necessary critical mass to allow your forum to move ahead under its own steam? B)

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #4 by greg
Thanks for the quick reply, I myself do not like to get emails of forum posts but many members of groups and forums are unlike the members here at Kunena.c0m who work online several hours of every day and visit their favorite forum sites often. I think it is a danger for developers to lose sight of the audience of their art. Look at yahoo groups and poll the folks there. most use email notices of all forum posts.

JSGKunena turned out to be a great tool and surly does piss of several folks who I simply instruct to leave the group to reduce their unwanted email. JomSocial Groups have little value on our site other than this email forwarding and the new photo album setup. Kunena is where the conversations happen and when the emails go out many members pop on to review the retort however the typical few ever reply

Options like 'subscribe to all new posts of a specified forum' would be welcome and leave the member in control of their email receiving. I enjoy sozzled's strong opinion and equally strong intellect. I hope he can realize that all options may not be one he would chose but that doesnt make them a bad choice.

Sozzled, How do I post a message on the screen while the submit button is doing its magic? I search out your replies as you do great research and have a wonderful ability to organize your instructions. thanks in advance
Greg

this is an edit... I went into a forum with over 300 posts (some poll hack) and made a post where there was only 4 seconds delay... HA I wonder if the big delay in my subscriber forum is js-GKunena setting up subscriptions????????
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by greg. Reason: didnt want to piss off sozzled with too many post today

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled
Thanks for the feedback. :)

As usual, the opinions I give are often only my thoughts and they don't necessarily reflect the policy of the developers or administration team at K.com. I only ask people to consider others' preferences when they try to organise their lives with a one-size-fits-all technical solution. As long as users can opt-in or opt-out of those technical "solutions" I don't have a problem.

Whether most people, some people or one person prefers to use a particular technical approach is a matter for conjecture and I don't want to debate the substance of that proposition. It falls into the category of "how long is a piece of string?" Everyone has their own opinion, and I totally respect that. In the same vein, there are no bad choices: there are only different outcomes as a result of the choices that we make.

Getting back to the technical substance of this topic, sometimes your server may not be under load (and the delays you experience may be momentary or insignificant) and sometimes they're not. Such is the way of the internet. In relation to the matter of what to do when you press the submit button, you might like to look at the discussion Auto redirect back to post . We've had other discussions on that issue, too :)

The abovementioned discussion topic shows you the file that you need to modify if you want to add, or modify, the "please wait" message. There's also probably something in the language file that you can modify, if you like. B)

The redirection screen will disappear in K 1.6.

Even so, there may still be matters that you need to take up with the developers of the product you are using. I can't offer you much more help from the Kunena viewpoint apart from what I've already written. :)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds