Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Kunena 1.5.12 Minimum number of characters in post ?

• C0n
  • C0n's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Only the strongest will survive
More
13 years 6 months ago #1 by C0n
I was browsing my kunena configuration but could not find anywere the minimum number of characters for a user to post. I was woundering if its possible to set one because it will stop users from posting replys / creating topics with a small amount of information for example 3 letters "lol".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by sozzled
C0n: How many months have you been using Kunena? I am fairly sure that you should already be aware of the answer by now: there is no configuration setting in Kunena to do this.

I'm sure that with a bit of your own resourcefulness you can figure a way to prevent users sending short messages if this is a problem. I don't know the technical solution but, then again, I've never encountered the problem, either, with users of my website posting "nothing" messages. I think a lot of this has to do with the "maturity level" of your users; you can help them by asking them to refrain from posting short, nonsense, messages and, if they don't heed your requests I guess you'll have to adopt a tougher line. It's really up to you, isn't it. ;) That's just my opinion and you and others are entitled to disagree with me.

In short, I'm sure you can do this (a simple piece of client-side Javascript to count the number of characters before enabling the Submit button) but I don't know where you would put the function. I'll have to leave that to a K 1.5 technical expert.

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #3 by C0n
I know but if you cant find it on the forum you might aswell ask the question if still nobody has a clue then get cracking to find the soloution yourself :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by sozzled
Fair enough. Well, it looks like you'll need to build a solution, won't you? Sorry I can't help you more.

If you were using K 1.6 then there might be an easier solution but you're not [using that version] and there isn't [a better solution].

More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by fxstein

C0n wrote: I was browsing my kunena configuration but could not find anywere the minimum number of characters for a user to post. I was woundering if its possible to set one because it will stop users from posting replys / creating topics with a small amount of information for example 3 letters "lol".

Fair request - currently not implemented. Maybe this or something similar can make it into 1.7

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #6 by C0n
I was kind of supprised nobody mentioned it before its one of those things that you would expect to be there to stop short pointless post's.

More
13 years 6 months ago #7 by sozzled

C0n wrote: I was kind of supprised nobody mentioned it before its one of those things that you would expect to be there to stop short pointless post's.

I'm not in the least bit surprised that this request hasn't come up before. For some discussion forums posting short, "pointless" messages is considered normal behaviour; in some of these places this behaviour is not only tolerated by the community, it's sometimes encouraged because because this high-volume activity generates a higher Google rating (perhaps). Sites that are ratings-driven are often (not always) a bit like a narcotic - they don't do much for you except give you that feel-good "hit". There are rarely complaints from members of those communities where such high-volume, low-quality messages are normal, because that's the kind of behaviour that the community expects.

In other sites, either the short "pointless" posting behaviour is not practised or it is not "normal". In any event, those communities seem to regulate themselves fairly well and there are rarely complaints there either.

It all really comes back to one of my pet subjects: trying to modify human behaviour via technology. I don't think you can win here: human beings do not like to be told what to do by a computer system and they'll behave any damn way they like. Rather than trying to control "bad" human behaviour with "smarter" technology, I think you'll have a quicker win if you show people that there's a better way to behave instead of criticising the behaviour they now exhibit.

Just my opinions, of course, and I don't know if my opinions have any place in this very technical discussion.

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #8 by C0n
Well what i dont understand about this is the fact it was achived with the forum search bar, With a minimum of 3 characters to be able to search so I wounder how you could apply the same concept to the post text field.

More
13 years 6 months ago #9 by sozzled
Yes, the same concept can be extended. It's a simple matter of Javascript.

Here's an example (that has nothing to do with Kunena). Suppose you have a form with a Submit button but you don't want the Submit button to become usable until a user has entered 15 characters (or more) into a text box. So your form consists of the following HTML statements:
Code:
<form> <intput type="text" id="txtInput" name="txtInput"> <input type="submit" value="Submit" name="btnSubmit" id="btnSubmit" disabled> </form>
This basic form will generate an input box and a disabled Submit button. Then next trick is to figure out how to enable the Submit button when the user has typed 15 characters or more. To do this, you need to write a Javascript function.
Code:
function enableSubmit() { var el = document.getElementById('txtInput'); var sb = document.getElementById('btnSubmit'); if (el.value.length > 14) { sb.disabled = false; } else { sb.disabled = true; } }
Now you have to tie the two things together, like this:
Code:
<form> <intput type="text" id="txtInput" name="txtInput" onkeypress="enableSubmit();"> <input type="submit" value="Submit" name="btnSubmit" id="btnSubmit" disabled> </form> <script type="text/javasript"> function enableSubmit() { var el = document.getElementById('txtInput'); var sb = document.getElementById('btnSubmit'); if (el.value.length > 14) { sb.disabled = false; } else { sb.disabled = true; } } </script>
It's actually quite easy if you understand how to leverage the DOM in Javascript. This was just an example, of course. All you need to do now is to find out what are the data elements in the form that's used by Kunena and plug the appropriate code into the PHP module and your done. B)

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10 by C0n
Thanks for the example sozzled :D thats usefull i think i could apply this if i could only find the submit button in the kunena template code :/

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds