Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Hot Thread Icons

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by freddiepete
Hot Thread Icons was created by freddiepete
I know we have the choice of topic icons for our threads which I think is great. But a friend I'm building the Kunena forum for is requesting for hot topic icons like the screen shot attached. Has anyone ever done hot topics like this before?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
Interesting idea. How do you "decide" what is a hot topic?

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by Cerberus
Replied by Cerberus on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
hot topics on most forum components is decided by the system using the amount of intrest in the topic, if there is lots of intresst in a topic the system marks it as a hot topic and changes the topic icon acordingly, your " k1.6 a moderators view " would be classed as a hot topic.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
... in other words, the number of "views". :unsure:

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #5 by Cerberus
Replied by Cerberus on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
yes but done as an image rather than text so it doesnt just get lost in the masses of threads.

i may work on this one on friday see if it can get it working :)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Cerberus.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #6 by sozzled
Cerberus wrote:

yes but done as an image rather than text so it doesnt just get lost in the masses of threads.

Yes, I understand the requirement. I'm just asking what's the basis of when the hot topic visual indicator is generated.

This isn't too difficult to do. I would approach this by creating an array of the ids of, say, the top 10 (?) most-viewed threads. You can be achieve this by storing the results of a query, something like:

SELECT thread, SUM(hits), subject, catid, id FROM #__fb_messages GROUP BY thread ORDER BY total_views DESC LIMIT 0,10;

Then, when you are displaying the topics on the page, see if the id of the topic = the id of one of an element in the array I've just mentioned and, if it is, highlight the topic with a "hot topic" flag. That's the theory and involves extra processing at the host, but it shouldn't slow things down too much.

I'll leave others to work out the specific PHP coding. B)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 10 months ago #7 by freddiepete
Replied by freddiepete on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
Good idea, any coders out there willing to try this out?

More
13 years 10 months ago #8 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
sozzled wrote:

SELECT thread, SUM(hits), subject, catid, id FROM #__fb_messages GROUP BY thread ORDER BY total_views DESC LIMIT 0,10;

Sorry but that would not work. This query would calculate hits for every thread on your system.

First off that information already exists in the messages table, second the absolute number is not really any good for that. You need to calculate the number of views over a time period (e.g. the last 7 days) and optimally you would want to compare it to the system average of views and pick ones that are significant outliers. For example if the system average for views per thread per day is 10 and you have a thread that received 50 or more, you would want to mark it as hot.

If 3 months later that same thread only gets 5 views per day, it would no longer show as hot.

Now - all of that information is currently no collected by the forum. It is a great idea and I have some thoughts on how to make this happen while also making it scale for any size site, without the need for extra queries.
This wont happen for K1.6 though. We need another data model change that is already done in the Kunena 2.0 trunk plus an extra history table that stores views over time.

Great idea though and definitely something I would like to add to a future release.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 10 months ago #9 by sozzled
Yes, I agree, fxstein, and the SQL query I gave above was only intended to be used as an example. Yes, it's necessary to put a date range into the query to isolate only, say, the past week or month or whatever timeframe is more appropriate for each user's purposes.

It's an interesting request and one that, I believe, would be useful to the project but, as you say, it won't happen at this present time. Something for the future and something for others to experiment with. :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #10 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: Hot Thread Icons
Instead of hits, I would use replies when deciding if the topic is hot or not. If there have been a lot of replies in X last days, topic would be hot. We already store that information and currently we are also reading that data anyway.. :)

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds