Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question How to turn off signature in posts?

More
14 years 3 months ago #1 by forfattervaerk
Hi all,

I really love Kunena :) I hope you can help me with this issue:

Every time someone writes a post their signature appears at the bottom of the post. I know there isn't a button to turn this off so my question is - how do I change it?

Please let me know which file to hack and exactly how and where to hack it. I'm new at this so please forgive my ignorance ;)

Please note that I still want there to be an option for members to write a signature on their profile that other people can read when they click on the profile name. I only want the signature to be removed from the posts.

Thanks!! :cheer:

J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2 by rich
Hello forfattervaerk,

search in kunena.forum.css
Code:
#Kunena div.msgsignature { text-align: left; word-wrap: break-word; /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */ color:#999; font-size:x-small; padding: 5px 5px; }
and add:
Code:
display: none;

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #3 by sozzled
I read this request last night before I went to bed and I thought to myself, surely this is completely defeating the purpose of what signatures are all about, isn't it?

A lot of people ask for technical solutions to non-technical problems or to imagined "problems" ... and when they change the fundamental design of a product they may, inadvertently, make their users suffer because of it. This is why, before I make any changes to something that my users are already comfortable with, I think very carefully about what I'm doing and how this will affect them.

A forum signature is the way that users sign their messages.

Do you understand what that means? It means giving your users the ability to sign each and every message that they write (just like I do with my "If you think I am wrong ... " quote) because maybe, just maybe, their "signature" contains some important information that they want to be posted with their messages. Perhaps your users don't want to make other users search for that information by clicking their profile, for example? Have you thought about that?

A forum signature is unique, individual and personal to each member. It's a fundamental feature of every good forum component. Your users will show their appreciation for your forum by how they use this feature.

When you give someone the ability use a discussion forum and to sign their messages in their own, unique way, why would you take that away from them? :huh:

However, if I understand the intention of the request, perhaps you might want to allow your users some other means to write about themselves and there are other components that will do that ... and they'll do it better than restricting your users to a lousy 300 characters! :)

forfattervaerk wrote:

... I still want ... members to write a signature on their profile that other people can read when they click on the profile name. I only want the signature to be removed from the posts.

This is, in my opinion, a dangerous idea, an unwise choice and one that you will probably later regret. As I said before, the forum signature is the means for users to "sign" their messages., and you want to cripple them? When you consider the years of effort that have led to the development of web-based discussion forums, and the wisdom of the thousands of developers and millions of users who have designed them, would you so easily and recklessly throw all of that away?

So, whilst I thought how easy it would be to answer the request with a literal, technical solution, I felt it was more important warn those who might be tempted to use it.

If you want to allow your users to write a few sentences, paragraphs or articles about themselves (to be seen when other users click their profile name) use a component that's designed for that purpose. Leave Kunena to do the forum stuff the way that it does best and use some other profiling component (like JomSocial or Community Builder, for example) to let your users write about themselves. Doesn't that make more sense? B)
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by forfattervaerk
Hello again

I discovered your replies after a lot of time had passed since you wrote them (my bad). I would like to thank you both for your helpful replies :)

Rich - your advice did the trick. Thank you! :cheer: However, the code has been changes for Kunena version 1.6.1. so I can't find the right place to remove the signatures from posts in this version. Does anyone have a trick? If so, please let me know which file to search in and what to insert where :)

Sozzled - I understand your viewpoint and you make a good point. Believe me, I though about using JomSocial or Community Builder before asking this question. The thing is, my website gives a lot of tools and opportunities for its members and I know for a fact that using JomSocial or Community Builder would both confuse the members and cause serious integration problems in this case. My website has been planned and designed very specifically to suit these members and it was actually a request (on removing the signature) from them that had me pose the question to you :)

Also, I allow them 2000 characters, not the standard 300 :)

So, once sgain; can someone tell me how to remove the signature from posts in Kunena version 1.6.1.? Again; please let me know which file to search in and what to insert where :)

Thank you so much again (and this time I'll subscribe to the topic to read your answers quickly) :cheer:

Best regards,
J.

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds