Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question A thread deleted when deleting a new post. Bug?

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by over
Hi,

I guess this is a major Bug. It's hard to test on a live Forum but I think I'm right.

I deleted my own post, just used to inform users about a moved thread via the mail. Then the whole thread was gone! :(

I didn't understand nothing.

Now I think to have found the bug. If you by default sort the posts to have the latest ones above, the "First post" is the "Latest post". When you now delete the "First post" (actually the latest) the whole thread is deleted!
Of course this should only be possible if I in this case delete the "first post" to be found as the last one in the list.

I would anyway prefer an extra "delete thread" function instead of built into the deletion of a single post.

Regards
over

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

What kunena version do you using ? What Kunena template do you using ?

The quote function works like expected ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by xillibit.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by over
Hi,
thanks for a quick answer!

I had a look about the Version. I guess a little to old to ask for support. We have to try ro find the time for an upgrade!
Kunena 1.5.4 shows in the Backend - with no changes to any Kunena template.

But could you please anyway tell me if it was a bug that has been solved. I have no idea what to search for in the Forum.

Will download the actual version and install it on a local server as a start.

over

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by xillibit
It's the first time that i see, this kind if problem with Kunena 1.5. I have tested on the latest Kunena version, i don't have the same issue.

Do you using the default_ex template ?
Do you have any problems with quote function ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 10 months ago #5 by over
Hi xillibit,

OK! Thanks.

Yes the Template default_ex is used. As I wrote with Kunena 1.5.4
So far I didn't see any problems with quoting a post.

I'll install the latest version of Kunena on a test server and have a try.
I don't dare to test on the live-system. It may take some days until I have it running. I'll let you know even if it works as expected.

To make sure you know what I mean, I made screen dumps. It may be a little bit confusioned just in words. I think this happened with my disappeared thread. But I'm not 100% sure.

As you see the first posting showed in the list is the latest. The note before accepting to delete the post is allways the same and doesn't help much.

over
Attachments:

More
13 years 10 months ago #6 by over
Hi xillibit,

Thanks again fot your help. You've earned one star or more by me.

I installed the latest version on a test server and had a try.
After deleting the latest post the thread was still there. You can archive this thread as solved or obsolete.

But I have the wish that you change the note text about deleting the thread only to appear if it will be deleted or even better a separate function to delete a thread. I'll add this to another part in the Forum. Hope I get it right.

regards
over

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #7 by over
As reported in another thread it happend again. A thread is gone. In the former case it was after deleting one post from a thread. In this case it was after a normal posting.

In the first case i'm not sure what happend after submitting the delete but I think I got back to the Forum. In this case I got a gray page but with the site header showing. I had manually to go back to the Forum. This worked imediatly so the connection should not have bin broken. A server timeout probably not. The thread was gone. As I in this case know the thread I had a look in the db table and found the thread with 4 entries. My new posting is not there. But the thread is not showing up in the Forum and then of course not the 4 postings. So the thread must be blocked somehow. I found the tip about the hold field and checked this. I was now informed that this is not used for blocking the thread/posting but as I understand another word for the J! standard published. J! standard also have two other fields to block a table entry during update. I couldn't find something like it.

The similarity I see is that in both cases I posted to the same thread twice within a short time (30 minutes or so) without any new posting from someone else in between and this very seldom happens. It could be 3 Months ago.

We do not have any problems with the server. A year ago we moved to a new provider partly because of this reason It is really fast and in our case handles more heavy jobs than a small post to the Kunena forum. e.g. submitions including update of db tables and at the same time uploading 5 large images.

Versions
Joomla 1.5.19
I do not have the exact version numbers of the system but they are for sure "modern" Nothing with old 4.something

over
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by over.

More
13 years 7 months ago #8 by sozzled
Thank you, over, for getting back to us on this problem of yours.

In summary, you are using K 1.5.11. You have deleted one posting but, for some reason, the entire thread (in which that post was made) is now no longer visible on your website.

Was it possible, perhaps, that the post you deleted was the first posting made in that thread?

If I am right, it may be that the other messages that belonged to the thread have been "orphaned", that is, there is no topic (which is "created" by the first post in a thread) to which they can be assigned. In order to fix this, you will need to look into your database to see what the topic-id is for the remnant posts (the thread that's now "invisible") and see if such a topic-id exists.

It's complicated to explain. Perhaps another technical person can explain it better.

We strongly advice our users to only use the Delete facility in extenuating circumstances. Perhaps we should issue the advice: do not delete the first message in a thread - it can possibly disrupt the integrity of the thread structure if there are other threads in the topic. This problem may have been alluded to, in a roundabout fashion, in User access to delete own post.

K 1.6 has much better deletion features: messages are not immediately removed from the database ... they are only hidden from view.

Let's hear some other ideas on how to help with this problem. :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #9 by over
Ohhhh Mann as a German would say. :silly: I'm not a German

Please give it to someone with some technical knowledge.
It's all explaind in this thread. You should have a look why and how a forum path disappears. Maybe a person with technical knowledge knows whats going on. Would be nice to know.If a connection is broken or the server has somekind of problem, the last post may be lost of course but the remaining shouldn't disappear from the forum.

I've already explaind the deletion of the first/last including a scrren dump. My sugestion was to change the information text to not be that confusing about first and last posting

For my urgent problem I've now myself found a work around to activate the latest disapperad thread. Came of the idea to have a look in "My recent discussions" and hop there I found it. Then submitted a dummy posting. Voila the thread is now shown in the forum again. I lost my last posting but the othere ones are there.

over

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #10 by sozzled
I spent over two hours yesterday, looking into this issue. I have to admit, because the topic was 3 months old, I didn't look closely enough at every message in this discussion and, especially, I overlooked the image shown earlier (reproduced below) and the area highlighted near the bottom:

So I confess my guilt in this and now realise that the time I spent yesterday could have been avoided if I'd looked closer at what had been posted before. :blush: Yes, I proved yesterday, for both K 1.5 and K 1.6), that if you delete the first post in a thread - and I mean really delete it ... from the database - then you will make orphans of all the replies to that message. In other words, you will destroy the thread structure and you will not be able to view the topic again.

So, let's review this discussion:

over wrote:

I deleted my own post, just used to inform users about a moved thread via the mail. Then the whole thread was gone!

over wrote:

I guess this is a major bug.

The user reporting this "bug" suggested that this situation might have something to do with the deleting the last message posted to a thread.

This is a summary of the situation. If I have misinterpreted the situation then please correct me.

I'm sorry, but we have not been able to confirm that deleting the most recently posted message to a thread results in the destruction of the thread structure. We can confirm that deleting the first/oldest message will destroy a thread's structure and, for that purpose, there is a warning given during of the delete process (as clearly shown in the above image). As part of my testing yesterday, I deleted a few latest posts, too, but I could not reproduce the "bug" that has been suggested.

over wrote:

You should have a look why and how a [thread] disappears.

I know one cause for a thread's disappearance. It's because the first post - the oldest post - in a thread actually defines the structural integrity of the whole thread; the first post is the thread's "parent". If you delete this database record, you destroy the structural integrity of the forum thread even though the records of the other messages are still in the database; the "child" records become orphans. To fix the problem you need to modify the second record in the thread to make it the "parent".

I still don't understand the possibility suggested in this thread, that somehow the deletion of the last post to a thread can create data loss. That remains a total mystery to me. :dry:

I would be interested to see the detailed steps involved in your workaround, please. :)
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds