Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Problem only in IE8

More
13 years 11 months ago #1 by johanfmp
Problem only in IE8 was created by johanfmp
I have a strange problem on my site www.vinkenier.be
When visitors open the forum with firefox all is show as it should and working fine.
When visitors open the forum with IE there is a strange problem. When opening a thread the info that should be visible in the "last post" part just pops up and then goes blank.
What is going wrong here?
I think it's not the template, I only use default_ex (there are only 4 images which have been modified/replaced tot match the site, but they have no influence with the problem I think). The 4 images are s_nophoto, nophoto, folder and foler_nonew)

Also the images/buttons to update/change the avatar don't show in IE. Here happens the same thing, it shows brief and then disapears.

I'm using the latest version of kunena (1.5.11) which installed without any problems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Problem only in IE8
G'day, johanfmp, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your really interesting question and for explaining the problem so well. I must say that I've never seen any behaviour quite like it.

First of all the contents of the last post column appear then the contents disappear. It's like watching a bizarre Microsoft magic show! :laugh:

I'm sorry, I can't figure this out. Aside from the fact that I'm not that clever when it comes to figuring out why Internet Explorer behaves so very differently from other browsers, you have a set of Javascript libraries on your site that are interfering with my ability to see what's going on. So, maybe there's something in that Javascript that's causing this peculiar behaviour? This one has me stumped. :S

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #3 by Cerberus
Replied by Cerberus on topic Re: Problem only in IE8
Ok first off please restore the copyright information for kunena at the bottom of your forum, as you are im break of the GPL licence. Failer to do this will resault in you not receiving any more support from these forums, and if the devs feel the need you may also be banned from this site completely.

once you have restored the copyright information i will tell you how to fix your site and give you a full detail on the reasons.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Cerberus.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
I hadn't noticed the absence of the "Powered by Kunena" link at the foot of johanfmp's forum. I'd like to make a few off-topic comments about this and I am not directing these remarks at anyone in particular. :)

First of all, I want to assure all users that we will not ban anyone from using this website, nor will we refuse to discuss issues that people may have with their implementation of Kunena, if they choose to remove the "powered by" link.

The discussion about the the GNU GPL (that also refers to the "powered by" link) is, perhaps, a little difficult to understand so I'll try to make it a bit clearer.

Kunena is an open source project. This means that users are able to modify the source code any way they like. The only legal repercussions are when users onsell this work, or profit by this work, without attributing the source of that work. While it's possible to remove the "powered by" information it hardly seems fair that we should promote the means to do it, to show you how to do it or to encourage users to do it. We strongly discourage this practice and we have removed references from this site that explain how to remove the "powered by Kunena" feature. If users discover how to remove the feature, that's their business and we can live with that as long as there is no conflict of interest.

There are few hard-and-fast rules governing the removal of the "powered by" link. Unless there is clearly an intention to deprive the developers of Kunena from their rightful recognition for their work, it's more a case of we should be able to tolerate the practice.

The "powered by" link serves a couple of purposes. It helps us help you (and that's the main reason). It's also a nice gesture to say thanks for the dedication of the development team for building this forum. We don't get any money from this (well, not yet, anyway).

Although it's a matter of personal choice, as I have said, I don't have any qulams about leaving the "powered by" link intact on all of my websites and my reasons have nothing to do with the fact that my name is mentioned in the credits! :laugh: I see the "powered by" link is just a fair exchange in return for obtaining this product for free and it's a public show of my appreciation. I think this is the majority view of Kunena users, too. We appreciate the fact that Kunena is used in over 150,000 websites around the world and it's a comforting feeling knowing that this work has found such widespread appeal.

Coming back to the issue of support: Over the past several days, we've had many long discussions about our approach to Kunena support. I think you will see a few changes for the better in the coming days.

I know most people appreciate Kunena and the work of this forum. If they didn't they wouldn't be posting the large number of questions everyday. We don't always receive thanks for our voluntary efforts, either. So, as a way of showing your appreciation for what we try to do for you it would be a nice gesture if, in return, you kept the "powered by" link on your site. B)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 11 months ago #5 by johanfmp
First I want to say sorry for removing the "powered by". I will put it back if that's a big problem for you guys. I even want to add a link to kunena in the links section if needed.
I want to state clearly that I don't sell, nor take any credit for Kunena. I don't ask money for my work I do for my friends by building a website. For me it's just nice to see that I can get all those things to work in a nice presentation with my little knowledge about php. I'm not a programmer. The site doesn't sell anything, it just is a place that provides info about the finches. If people ask me for a good forum, I always tell them to use kunena. If they prever to use another one, that's their choise. Some have more features and bells to it, but I prefer to stay with something that's basic and stable. It just has to do what it is meant to do.

Further about this strange behaviour... I found out that on some pc's (identical hardware & software) the behaviour happens and on others it doesn't... To me it's getting even stranger.

There are java scripts running that prevent a right button click and paste a copyright on only our own pictures.

More
13 years 11 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Problem only in IE8
That's OK, johanfmp, I wasn't singling you out for special treatment. :) I just wanted to clarify a couple of details.

I can't see what's going on at your site because your Javascript stuff plays havoc with Firebug and with IE's tools to look at your website. If I can't see it, I can't even begin to guess why you're having the problems.

Keep the Javascript at your site (if you're concerned that people might steal your images), by all means, but I don't know how to help you. :(

Like I said, IE is not my strong suit these days. ;)

Time to create page: 1.284 seconds