Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question K 1.5.9: I am not receiving subscription email

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #1 by pracket
My mail is configured fine in Joomla. I have another function that uses JUtility::sendMail() and that works.

But when I post a new thread (and am subscribed) and someone else posts on my thread, I don't receive a notification.

Is there a setting I have to set so that I'll receive the subscription e-mails?

I already have "Allow Subscriptions" set in the Kunena configuration.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to improve search relevance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #2 by pracket
Interesting, when I "Report to Moderator", it works, my mod account receives the message. But when I test out the subscribing function, that does NOT get sent out. So it seems the mail configuration is right, but why is the subscription not sending? I'm assuming it's supposed to send out immediately, not do a daily digest kind of thing.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm using Kunena version 1.5.9 (not 1.5.10, which I see has bugs where subscription e-mails don't work)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to improve search relevance

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #3 by sozzled
We have spent a huge amount of time thoroughly testing the Kunena subscription mail facility. This is what I can tell you. The feature works in Kunena 1.5.9 (and in earlier versions) and the feature works in K 1.5.11 (which has not yet been released to the public). There is a problem with K 1.5.10 but the email failure is worked around with HOTFIX K 1.5.10-2

Most of the problems that arise are because users have wrongly entered their e-mail addresses or their email programs are treating such incoming mail as junk. In some cases there are problems with the webhosting service.

You are correct in assuming that subscription emails are issued immediately there is a new message posted in a discussion topic. However, let me remind you, that if you subscribe to a discussion topic then you will only receive emails if another user posts to that topic. In other words, you will not receive emails if you reply to the topic you have subscribed to.

Please verify this test scenario I have just described.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4 by pracket
I don't know what to tell you.

I logged in with User A, and I see in this thread that I'm subscribed (since I've posted to it, and I see the "Unsubscribe" button).

Then I log out and log in with User B. I go to that same thread and "Report to Mod", and it sends successfully, and I see it in User A's email inbox (Gmail). Then I post to this thread but no e-mail goes to User A. I checked the junk mail folder and it's not there.

The one odd thing I noticed yesterday is that I think I remember first getting some error when trying the "Report to Mod" function, something like:

PHP_FROM-something [email protected]

Then I tried it a second time, and it worked.

Anyways any other experiments I can try for debugging this?

More
13 years 11 months ago #5 by sozzled
This is a difficult one to diagnose. On the one hand "Report to moderators" works. On the other hand "Email for subscribed users" doesn't work.

The specific tests that you need to perform are contained in msg #43074 (perhaps people can now see the benefits for having a detailed list of tests)

In addition to those tests, it's also important to know that if you are sending email from "localhost". This is the advice that I received from Matias this morning:

Emails do not get sent if you use localhost://forum or 127.0.0.1://forum but, for some reason, "report messages" are being sent.

Therefore let me ask you this question: are you testing Kunena on your own PC (perhaps using XAMPP or WAMP)?

Fortunately something good has come from this topic. As a result of your information we detected a problem with a test version of K 1.5.11 that affected the ability to report messages to moderators. This problem has been fixed in that version. We would not have wanted to introduce another new problem into K 1.5.11. B)

More
13 years 11 months ago #6 by pracket
Actually yes I'm running on localhost. I'm running on WAMP. Hopefully when I test it on the live server it will work fine.

More
13 years 11 months ago #7 by pracket
You're right, it works on my live site. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds