Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important Performance Problem

More
14 years 8 months ago #1 by failbit
Performance Problem was created by failbit
Hi there,

i'm facing a performance issue with Kunena 1.5.4. This is an upgraded Kunena from Fireboard (Joomla 1.0.x) -> Kunena 1.0.11 (Joomla 1.0.x) -> Kunena 1.54 (Joomla 1.5.x). The migration worked fine so far, i have no problems with functionality.

Overall, the Forum is super fast. It's hosted on a dedicated server with enough resources. BUT: if i'm in the categorie overview, and want to switch to a specific categorie (f.e. 400 topics, 9000 replies) it takes foreeeeeeever to finish the load (ok, about 1 minute). CPU load (mysqld) is at 100% in this time...

The strange thing about this: if i switch back to the overview and click again in the same categorie, it goes super fast. Seem's like mysql caches the result for a moment, and therefore gives me the fast response the second time.

Investigating the mysql-slow.log file tells me, that the query in charge is this one:
Code:
SELECT a.*, t.mesid, t.message AS messagetext, m.mesid AS attachmesid, (f.thread>0) AS myfavorite, u.avatar, MAX(b.time) AS lastpost FROM jos_fb_messages AS a JOIN jos_fb_messages_text AS t ON a.thread = t.mesid LEFT JOIN jos_fb_messages AS b ON b.thread = a.thread LEFT JOIN jos_fb_attachments AS m ON m.mesid = a.id LEFT JOIN jos_fb_favorites AS f ON f.thread = a.id && f.userid='331' LEFT JOIN jos_comprofiler AS u ON u.user_id = a.userid WHERE a.parent = '0' AND a.catid = '8' AND a.hold = '0' GROUP BY id ORDER BY ordering DESC, lastpost DESC LIMIT 0, 20;

Time taken:
Code:
Status Dauer starting 0.000017 checking query cache for query 0.000139 Opening tables 0.000025 System lock 0.000008 Table lock 0.000061 init 0.000055 optimizing 0.000021 statistics 0.000138 preparing 0.000030 Creating tmp table 0.000259 executing 0.000004 [b]Copying to tmp table 54.548688[/b] Sorting result 0.001145 Sending data 0.000623 end 0.000004 removing tmp table 0.000517 end 0.000007 query end 0.000009 freeing items 0.000058 storing result in query cache 0.000011 logging slow query 0.000002 logging slow query 0.000058 cleaning up 0.000029

Am i missing some sort of indexes or so in the database? How else is this arguable? Does anyone have a tip on this one?

P.S.: I posted first in the wrong forum: "Kunena 1.0.11, older Versions and Fireboard" could a moderator delete the post there please?

Best regards,
failbit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #2 by Baldcat
Replied by Baldcat on topic Re:Performance Problem
hi there..

I have similar problem as well, haven't got any logs for you just yet,, but we have successfully built a php-fusion to Kunena convertor.. but loading the pages takes ages..

Even using the lastest discussion mod on the home page take for ever just to get 10 results..

the site is here to take look site.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/index.ph...mid=111&func=listcat

I'm hoping it is not because of the size of the forum.. (23000 posts, 60 categories)

I tried changing a few categories to sub- (because we couldn't do this in php-fusion) but it didn't make any difference.

More
14 years 8 months ago #3 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re:Performance Problem
On first looking if this is an upgrade from an old FireBoard version, this could indeed be a missing index. That query should only take a fraction of a second.

The easiest way to check is to go into the administrator/components/com_kunena/install/kunena.install.upgrade.xml file
and manually check whether your database has the same indexes defined as in the fresh install section of the xml file.

Even with 100,000 of messages this query should be fast.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 8 months ago #4 by Baldcat
Replied by Baldcat on topic Re:Performance Problem
is there a way to rebuild the index ??

More
14 years 8 months ago #5 by failbit
Replied by failbit on topic Re:Performance Problem
I solve my issue. What i did:

- made a fresh kunena installation
- in phpmyadmin, exported only the sql-structure from the jos_fb tables
- did the same export for sql on my migrated forum
- made a diff between those two files, and realized there are _many_ differents.

I then decided to just export the DATA (without structure information) from my migrated forum. Then i imported the fresh SQL-STRUCTURE from the new kunena installation. Finally i imported my DATA into this structure -> works like a charm now.

Thanks!

More
14 years 8 months ago #6 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re:Performance Problem
Other than missing keys, did you have other differences?

Would it be possible to see the list of differences you ended up with?

The main problem is that prior to FireBoard 1.0.5 all database changes had to be done by hand, which is very error prone.

Thx!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 8 months ago #7 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic Re:Performance Problem
I have the same performance issues since i migrated my Fireboard to Kunena 1.5.5. I not quite shure if I can handle the solution from failbit (I´m an SQL N00b) so i wanted to ask if there´s another way to rebuild the index. Thanx a lot in advance!

More
14 years 8 months ago #8 by failbit
I'm sorry, i can't deliver a complete list of the differences. Since i upgraded manually, i don't have access to the old tables anymore.

Aside the missing keys, there was different auto increments (f.e. in jos_fb_messages: ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=37000 <-??). Also there were tables in my old installation which didn't exist in the new structure.

I would highly recommend to import your Data in a fresh sql-structure. If i remember correctly there were 30+ changes.. Some of these changes are not easy to apply to a not empty database.

More
14 years 8 months ago #9 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic Re:Performance Problem
@failbit: Would it be poosible for you to post a more detailed explaination? I know the basics about working with the phpmyadmin, but I don´t really know how to export the data only and import it into a clean structure.

Just for understanding: I´m using the latest Joomla 1.5
I uninstalled my fireboard and installed Kunena 1.5.5. I am experiencing a lack of performance since the update. Opening a section from the section view takes much longer than in the old fireboard. So I think your solution would workfor me too.

Many thanx in advance dude :)

More
14 years 8 months ago #10 by failbit
@Ratman: i initially updatet from fireboard to kunena 1.0.11 first. I don't know if this is important.. After that i updatet to Kunena 1.5.

For the phpmyadmin part:

1) choose your database (the one which have the poor performance)
2) click export
3) choose only the jos_fb* tables
4) choose gzip compression and click "send" at the bottom of the page. you will receive a complete backup of all your forum data. (this is for backup only). keep it at a safe place.
5) repeat 1-3
6) on the right side, there is "structure" enabled. disable it, and do step 4 (this time you only get the data)
7) uninstall kunena, and after that delete all jos_fb* tables with phpmyadmin (CATION: be sure your backup is working!!!!!)
8) make a fresh kunena install
9) in phpmyadmin in your database, click "import". choose the second file you have saved.

there may be some conflicts, about tables not existing any more. in that case, you could edit the file and delete conflicting items. or you write again in this thread =)

Hope that helps!

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds