Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question How do I increase the width of the Last Post column?

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by damsella
I have searched extensively on here and also dug through kunena.forum.css, listcat.php, showcat.php and latestx.php, but cannot see how to do it.

It must be doable, I just can't work out how!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
Unfortunately, column widths are not specifically "doable" or "settable" for Kunena. It's the Joomla template you using that is overriding consideration. We can help but you can actually fix this problem for yourself! :woohoo:

The secret of my success is that I use Firebug for Firefox (and I also have an inkling of knowledge about CSS). I've also invested a couple of hours experimenting with Firebug to understand how it works. Yes, I know, spending a couple of hours to understand how a tool works may not sound like a lot of fun when you really only want to solve a problem but, believe me, when you know how it works you can solve just about anything. As the saying goes, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." :)

I know you've probably seen me write this innumerable times before, but I'm going to write it again (obviously) because I feel that it's important: please read Before you ask for help with template issues ... .

Obviously, in order to find out where the column widths are defined in your Joomla template, it is necessary for us to know the URL of your website and, if need be, a test account if the forum page is not accessible to non-registered users.

Also, please advise what versions of Joomla, Joomla template, Kunena and Kunena template you are currently using.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #3 by damsella
Thanks sozzled. I should have mentioned that I have looked with Firebug but can only see reference to the height (150%), not the width.

I am using Kunena 1.5.9 with Joomla 1.5, for Joomla I am using the YooTheme Colorplate template and for Kunena am using blueface_1.5.7 - but have the same issue with default_ex.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by damsella.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Well, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say. I think that the width of your "Last post" column is proportionally "about right" and I wouldn't widen it any further.

How much wider did you want to go?

If you removed the modules you assigned to the right side of your page, you would have a larger area to display your Kunena forum. Have you considered that?

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by damsella
Yes, it's fine in Firefox but it's too narrow in IE. I can't take away the left hand modules, which is why I just want to make the Last Post column that little bit wider.

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
damsella wrote:

Yes, it's fine in Firefox but it's too narrow in IE.

Microsoft has to do everything differently! *sigh*

Which version of IE are you using?

More
14 years 1 month ago #7 by damsella
I know, it's such a pain! I am using IE8. Lots of my users use IE too, unfortunately.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled
That's OK. I'm just pleased that you aren't using IE 6! :laugh:

The following image is a partial view of your site, viewed with IE8:

The image below is a partial view of your site using Firefox 3.6:

I don't see much of a difference, sorry. Maybe the problem has to do with how wide your screen is, or whether you have your IE window maximised, or something like that? I'm using a 55 cm monitor, 16:9 aspect ratio, at 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution.
Attachments:

More
14 years 1 month ago #9 by damsella
Sorry, once again I didn't make myself very clear! I have already changed the width of Last Post in Categories view. It is in each Forum where it is too narrow in IE.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
I'm sorry. Again I see no perceptible difference between these two displays. I could post you images of what I can see but, I think, the issue has to do with your computer monitor, what resolution you are running, and whether you have your IE window maximised or not.

If the display is too cramped for your monitor (and the kinds of equipment that your users might be using) I suggest you find a different Joomla template that allows more width for displaying the Kunena component. We could adjust the "Last Post" column but I fear this may be more harmful to the overall good design of your website. Please let us know if you still want to proceed with instructions about how to change the column width, and what value you would like to set it to. It's your site and it's your choice. ;)

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds