Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Installation error: -1 - An error has occurred. -It was not possible to copy the selected file.

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by jayw
I've searched through the forum and found several other users that have similar issues but no posted solutions.

I get an installation error trying to install Kunena 1.5.11 with both Upload AND Install from Directory but the installation appears to work in that after I get the error page I can access Kunena.

Should I just ignore this and move forward or could there be some lingering problem that did not get cleaned up by the installation process?

-jay

1. I'm running on a dedicated Linux server and have root access.
2. After encountering this error, I've successfully installed other components, plugins and modules.
3. I chmod'd all directories to 777
4. I turned on Debug mode in Global Config and it looks like it's failing on this step (I made sure that all directories and files in libraries were chmod'd to 777):
Code:
JFolder::copy() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php:86

Code:
-1 - An error has occurred. It was not possible to copy the selected file. Call stack # Function Location 1 JAdministrator->dispatch() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/index.php:67 2 JComponentHelper->renderComponent() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/includes/application.php:136 3 require_once() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:162 4 JController->execute() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/components/com_installer/admin.installer.php:44 5 InstallerController->doInstall() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/application/component/controller.php:236 6 InstallerModelInstall->install() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/components/com_installer/controller.php:71 7 JInstaller->install() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/components/com_installer/models/install.php:86 8 JInstallerComponent->install() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:332 9 com_install() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/installer/adapters/component.php:293 10 JFolder::copy() /home/wakulla/public_html/administrator/components/com_kunena/install/kunena.install.php:149 11 JFolder::copy() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php:86 12 JError::raiseError() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php:97 13 JError::raise() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:171 14 JException->__construct() /home/wakulla/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:136
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
jayw wrote:

I've searched through the forum and found several other users that have similar issues but no posted solutions.

I get an installation error trying to install Kunena 1.5.11 with both Upload and Install from Directory but the installation appears to work in that after I get the error page I can access Kunena.

Should I just ignore this and move forward or could there be some lingering problem that did not get cleaned up by the installation process?

I recall seeing many discussions that have been titled "Installation error: -1 - An error has occurred. -It was not possible to copy the selected file." and, you're probably right, that the users who reported the errors did not follow up their postings with "Hey, guess what? Your suggestion was right and I've fixed my problem! :woohoo:" Well, sadly, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. :(

Short answer to your question - should you just ignore the error message and move forward or could there be some lingering problem ... ? - is no. From the looks of several other questions asked by users in these forums, there is probably some latent problem waiting to snare you when you least expect it. Whenever I install a software package on a system that I run, I want to be as assured as possible that the installation phase was a successful as I could possibly get it. That way, if other problems surface later, I can eliminate the installation phase as a possible cause. Having a "rock-solid" installation doesn't provide an ironclad guarantee that your software will operate 100% reliably, but it does give you a greater reassurance that you can count on other people's support later on.

From the sample of other messages I read before I replied to this one, the error message that you received seems more indicative of certain types of webhosting platforms. May I suggest that you search the Joomla forum site for the same error text to see if there have been similar problems reported that involve the installation of other software components (not only Kunena) and what remedies were suggested in those cases.

I am sure that many users will appreciate your feedback when you have succeeded in finding an answer. :)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by Matias
Call stack indicates that JFolder::copy() has failed -- it's most likely a file permission issue.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by carsten888
@matias
I have released an update of one of my own components a few days ago, using the same xml doctype as Kunena, for easy updating, and am getting tons of mail with these same issues. (sight). Only now I see there are issues here too with that doctype.
Code:
<install type="component" version="1.5.0" method="upgrade">

Would you know what could be causing this?

More
13 years 10 months ago #6 by carsten888
thank you. I read all that. Seems to point to a rights issue, but no conclusive answer. No one reporting back that when the needed files and dirs where set to 777, the update actually worked.

More
13 years 10 months ago #7 by jayw
I don't buy the "it's a permission's" explanation.

I've chmod'd all directories under webroot to 777 and all files within the different Kunena file space to 777 and it still does not work.

Regardless, it's a bad security practice to set directory and file permissions to 777. We're just asking for trouble down the road.

Fwiw I haven't discovered any problems from the aborted installation yet but as one of the previous posters predicted there's most likely bad consequences down the road.

-jay

More
13 years 10 months ago #8 by Matias
Idea: what happens if you fist uninstall Kunena and then try to install it again? It will surely break menu items, but could work on this error..

It's Joomla issue; which web server are you using?

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds