Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Help migrate from Joomla 1.0.x Fireboard 1.0.5 to Joomla 1.5.x Kunena 1.5.4?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #1 by gwmbox
Hi guys

I know it has been a long time changing over, but better late than never.

OK I have a site that is running Joomla 1.0.x and Fireboard 1.0.5

I have now redeveloped the entire site to Joomla 1.5.x - rofl J1.6 is nearly out :)

I have installed Kunena 1.5.4 (this is the version I had at the time of setup quite a while back)

So can you please help me with as easy to follow steps as possible how I can migrate my J1.x Fireboard to my new J1.5x Kunena site please.

I am happy to myphpadmin to do manual exports/imports if that is the bets way to migrate but just don't want to break the forum posts etc.

Thanks all
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by gwmbox.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
You may be lucky! I write this as a cautionary note for others who are considering migrating from Fireboard to Kunena. We have many fine examples of cases involving this subject and you are most welcome to browse through them for information that will help you.

The migration procedure depends to some extent on what version of Fireboard you were running. Before you can change over to Kunena you need to be running Fireboard 1.0.5. If you are running with an older version of Fireboard, there is an kit you can download from this site that will bring you "up-to-date" with a version of Fireboard that is mostly compatible with Kunena. Look for the Fireboard converter tool (read the README.TXT and follow the instructions contained in it).

The README states "This standalone Joomla 1.0.x component helps with the automatic migration of FireBoard 1.0.x settings before the install of FireBoard 1.0.5" Notice the that it states that the tool is to be used on a J! 1.0 website. You may be able to install this tool if you are running a J! 1.5 website in "legacy" mode.

I write "you may be lucky" because, as time goes on, these kinds of conversion/migration utilities will lose their currency as further developments are made to Kunena. In time, K 1.0 may cease to be available from this website! So, as a word of warning to other users who see no urgency to upgrade from Fireboard, I urge people to make the most of the current opportunities available to them.

After you've upgraded to FB 1.0.5, you can then migrate to K 1.0.11. After that you can then upgrade to K 1.5.11 (and then you do not need to run your website in "legacy mode").

Another word of warning. K 1.5.4 is not supported and is definitely not recommended as a starting platform for new installations (or migrations) of Kunena. Don't use it and definitely don't ask for support for it if something goes wrong.

As always, please carefully examine the installation notes for Kunena. Make sure that you take a reliable backup of your website before you install anything that changes your data or software. If you don't take this precautionary step, there may be no turning back and there may be no way forward, either ... or no options that don't involve some expense on your part. ;)

Most of the time upgrades of this sort work. Sometimes there are a few minor problems. Please browse through these forums (while the information is still "relatively current") for information that may help you.

I hope some of this information helps ... and good luck! :)

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #3 by gwmbox
Thanks sozzled, so my reading in to that is;

1. I make sure I have Fireboard 1.0.5 installed on my J1.x site - done.
2. I install Kunena 1.0.x on my J1.x site and therefore convert the FB1.0.5 to K1.0.x

Then where?

3. Install K1.0.x on my J1.5 site first
4. Install the K1.5.x on my J1.0.x site and therefore update from K1.0.x to K1.5.x?

or

3. Setup K1.0.x in legacy mode on my J1.5.x site (Bugger)
4. Migrate K1.0.x data from the J1.0.x site to the J1.5.x site - is this a case of just copy tables or is there a script for this?
5. Update Kunena to K1.5.x

BTW - the previous post on K1.5.4 was simply that is what I have installed now, I was planning to update to the latest version after migration.

Sorry just don't want to stuff it up
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by gwmbox.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
gwmbox wrote:

1. I make sure I have Fireboard 1.0.5 installed on my J1.x site - done.
2. I install Kunena 1.0.x on my J1.x site and therefore convert the FB1.0.5 to K1.0.x

(2) The installation of K 1.0.11 automatically migrates FB 1.0.5 to Kunena. The only thing you have to do after that is to uninstall Fireboard and any menu links to it. All these details are contained in Migration from FireBoard .

You have a choice:
  1. Have FB 1.0.5 running on your J! 1.5 website (you will, of course, need to be running in "legacy" mode") then do the K 1.0.11 install, then install K 1.5.11 and then deactivate the "legacy" plugin.

Or
  2. Perform the conversion to K 1.0.11 on a J! 1.0.x site, copy the data across to the J! 1.5 site and then finish the upgrade to K 1.5.11 there. This is a much more involved procedure. You also have to make sure that you J! 1.5 site mirrors the user database on you J! 1.0 site.
Remember, that if you choose Option 1 you can't have K 1.5.4 on your site at the same time.

If you do not have a use for K 1.5.4 then kill it off. Delete it. Get rid of all the jos_fb_* tables on your J! 1.5 site before you transfer anything across from your J 1.0 site. Don't worry, if you want to make doubly sure, just keep asking questions. :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #5 by gwmbox
Thanks for your help, I think I can follow that, I will put it in to test (yes I have backups :) ) and see how well it goes and if I run into issues I will get back to you for more help.

Very much appreciated

More
13 years 11 months ago #6 by gwmbox
Just a quick reply to say thanks very much again and to say all went very smooth, happily using the latest Kunena now on our new J1.5 site :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #7 by Matias
Just make sure that you have indexes in your jos_fb tables after migration. If you used some of the old migration scripts, they may be missing.. If you didn't use them for FB, you need to check that tables are UTF8..

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds