Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Migrated from PHPbb3 but now can't view posts

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #1 by jgcallisto
I followed the instructions on the wiki page for migrating from phpbb3, and everything seemed to go smoothly. However, now when I click on a post, it takes me back to the same page listing the category and the posts saying "there are no forums in this category". It seems that because I posted to "categories" on phpbb, that it didn't create forums.

I created a new forum and made a test post, which seems to work as designed.

So my question is... is there any way to move these orphan posts to forums?

Many thanks!

[Edited after a bit of troubleshooting to determine the issue is moving orphan posts to forums. HOW?]
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by jgcallisto. Reason: did more troubleshooting and have clearer question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #2 by sozzled
Your problem may or may not a consequence of the phpBB migration. Depending on your understanding of Kunena, the answer lies in using the Forum Administration facility in the backend.

I'm not familiar with how phpBB3 organises its categories, but it helps to understand the difference between categories and forums in a Kunena sense; Standard (consistent) Terminology?! helps to explain these differences. Equipped with your understanding of the terminology, you should be able to now better understand the Forum Administration facility.

jgcallisto wrote:

Is there a way to "create" subforums and then assigning each post to a specific one?

Yes and no. As long as you can see the topics in the frontend, as an administrator/moderator you can move them, individually or as a group, from one [level-1+] forum to another forum regardless of what category they are in ... but here is where I have to warn you: you must never move a topic to a category (i.e. a level-0 forum). If you do, you and your users won't be able to find it again.

Again, it's getting past the terminology that's the main hurdle. I would hope that, in a future version of Kunena, the administration of forums and categories and the moderator tools to administer moving topics will be made simpler and less accident-prone.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #3 by jgcallisto
Thanks. I ended up creating new "bucket" categories and then moving the sub categories beneath them. Somehow I lost a couple of posts and their replies, but I'll consider it acceptable losses. I think I'm okay now.

Next question, can I password protect just a single category or forum?

Thanks!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
I was preparing my earlier remarks before I saw your late edit.

I'm not aware of any built-in mechanisms in Kunena that automagically repair orphaned posts. It would be a very useful thing to have. Unfortunately, this really only leaves direct manipulation of the raw data using a tool like phpMyAdmin. It's not easy. :(

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #5 by jgcallisto
Thanks for the addition. At this point I'm considering the lost posts acceptable losses, since I was able to get the lion's share by simply moving my existing categories into forums under new category names. It was a small board so easy to do. Thanks again!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #6 by sozzled
jgcallisto wrote:

At this point I'm considering the lost posts acceptable losses, since I was able to get the lion's share by simply moving my existing categories into forums under new category names. It was a small board so easy to do.

That's a relief, I suppose.

jgcallisto wrote:

Next question, can I password protect just a single category or forum?

Kunena doesn't have a "password protect" concept. You can assign certain permissions controlling who can view messages and who can post messages, and these can be controlled on a forum-by-forum basis to a certain extent. The tutorial Forum Setup, Permissions and Forums for special Groups provides a some case studies that may help you.

As we have now dealt with the question that you originally asked, and you have accepted the "collateral loss" as a consequence, I am closing this topic.

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds