Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Fireboard to Kunena 1.5.7 to Kunena 1.5.9

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #1 by heatrs
I might sound stupid but here is the scenario,

I have a fireboard forums and while updating my whole website to joomla 1.5 I try to update fireboard to kunena which I failed because I just followed what my friend said.

So we started a new fresh forums of Kunena 1.5.7 which we successfully upgraded to 1.5.9 it has a lot of data now.

My question is it still possible that I can somehow get my old data from fireboard forums?

Or its Impossible.

Basically I just wanna merge my old data(which is still present in my archive folder) with the new data.

Thanks a Million.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #2 by sozzled
It's theoretically possible to convert your old Fireboard data and merge it with Kunena. But, unless your Fireboard and Kunena forums are similarly structured, the merging process will be very risky.

For good or bad, some time ago you took the decision to forego converting Fireboard to Kunena. Rather than working through the problems that you encountered, you took the decision to leave Fireboard behind and start afresh with Kunena 1.5.7. It may have been the only decision you could have taken but, for your own peace of mind, I would not worry now about second-guessing whether those decisions were correct.

As you know, you cannot run Fireboard and Kunena together on the same website; this is because they use the same jos_fb_* tables. If you say the Fireboard is present in an archive folder, I assume you mean that this archive is a separate website to your current site where you use Kunena. That's OK. Leave it there. Have I correctly assessed your situation?
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #3 by heatrs
Yes sir u have correctly assessed my situation,

So if I structure them exactly same there is a chance n how it is?

Thnx again.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
Yes there is a chance of success, but it's probably only 50-50. If you are going to attempt the database merge, please do it in a separate area away from both your current live site and your old archive site. Good luck.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #5 by Matias
You can merge databases, but it's not going to be easy. There are few things which have to be taken into account:

- Users need to be the same (imported from the old site)
- All categories need to have same ID in both forums

If those two are OK, importing old messages should be quite easy for someone who knows how to do it (maybe a paid job if you do not have skills to do it?).

----
First step is to make a new copy of your migrated site. Drop all jos_fb tables from that copy and manually import all jos_fb tables from the old J1.0 site. After that check that all text fields use UTF-8 -- change table/field collation if not.

When you have all the data available, install latest Kunena. Now you should have working Kunena forum with old data.

I assume that the users got imported and are the same (with the exception of new users). Next step is to check that categories id's are the same. You can do this in the paper -- just write down every difference you are seeing: Category name: 10 (old) -> 12 (new). If there are no differences -- fine. If there are, you need to write a small script to change category ids in the (old) test forum. Please backup before starting this, if you decide to do it by yourself. :) If mapping is not trivial, it may be easier to make archive from old messages.

When everything is the same, you can start importing messages from the new forum. It's quite easy for someone who knows how to write complicated queries in MySQL (maybe few hours job). The idea is to append new messages after old ones by changing their id to id + last message in old forum.

If other info needs merging, that could be done as well. But if only messages are sufficient, last task is to replace messages tables with the new ones in the test site.

So in any case this is not trivial -- you need some skills to make it to work.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #6 by heatrs
thnx guys.

Team Kunena n forums helpers ROCKS.

Stay Sexy.

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds