Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Multiple categories/pages so I should install Kunena as many times?

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by Kindness
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie here. I am thinking of making an international forum for example let us say Fruits! There would be a home page that would have icons of ten different countries, like Canada, USA, China, UK etc. and clicking on those countries would open a specific forum that would list the different fruits, like Apple, Banana, Orange etc.

So basically the first page will look like:
Canada, USA, China, UK etc.

If you click on Canada you will see Apple, Orange, Grapes
When you click on Apple you will see Red Apple, Green Apple, Golden Apple etc.

and so on and so forth.

Now my question is, in order to have different separate links like
www.mywebsite.com/Canada
www.mywebsite.com/USA
www.mywebsite.com/China

would I have to install Joomla as many times as the names of the countries and name the folder everytime the name of the country and then install Kunena in it every single time?

Or is there any easy and efficient way to do it, so that I just install Joomla and Kunena once and then can link Canada Forum to the url www.mywebsite.com/canada ?

Kindly keep in mind that, in future it should be able to let me just use the Canada forum for having just display ads from my Canadian clients and the China part should let me configure and show the ads from only China clients. I mean I should separately be able to show separate group of ads for all the different forums in future

And also, in future be able to sell my particular forum and it's knowledgebase/posts/threads to a particular company, for example the Canada forum to an apple factory in Canada and China forum to Apple Industry in Chine.

I hope I am clear. I know it is a long post, but it would be really really KIND of you to help me out! Thank you very much for your kindness!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
G'day and welcome to the forum.

Let's see if we can help you out.

Basically you only need to install Kunena once. In fact, you can only have one instance of Kunena running per website.

Some of the "mysticism" might be eliminated if you read this: Standard (consistent) Terminology?! . After getting some of the "jargon" out of the way, what I'm about to say next might make some sense. B)

I think your solution is to create a number of categories (for you countries). Within each category you should have a number of forums (dedicated to the fruits of those countries). Within each forum you can have topics devoted to whatever is appropriate within the forum context. Your category/forum structure would therefore look something like this:
  • Canada
  • Apple
  • Red Apple
  • Green Apple
  • Golden Apple
  • Orange
    • "Child boards" devoted to various types of oranges
  • Grapes
  • etc.
  • USA
    • Forums for USA fruits, similar to Canada category
  • China
  • UK
  • etc.
  • A lot of work, if that's how you want to organise the hierarchy, based on country as the category, fruit as the forum and fruit variety as a child forum. It's feasible, though. Good luck :)

It's also feasible to display ads based on a context context. If you browse the different categories/forums here at www.kunena.com , you will get an appreciation for what I mean.

If you want to create separate menu items for categories, you can do that. I wouldn't try to do that in the first instance. First of all you want to get the basic forum structure working.
    Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
    14 years 1 month ago #3 by Kindness
    Thank you very much Sozzled! You are very kind and helpful.

The reason I want separate Menu items for all the Categories is, so that there could be a dedicated place for that Category of the Forum and also I can display articles, news etc. for that Category in the same place.

www.mywebsite.com/canada would have a Category of Fruits and Forums of Apple, Grape and Child-Forums of Green Apples, Golden Apples, Red Apples etc.

Now the problem I am having is that how do I make Canada as a separate Menu and how do I make sure that this URL www.mywebsite.com/canada when clicked opens the Canada Category and shows all the related forums and child-forums ONLY.

The HomePage lists the name of the countries Canada, USA, UK, China etc.
    And when you Click on Canada it leads to the URL which looks like:
    www.mywebsite.com/canada
    and then this page has the Canadian fruits forum, child forums and also shows the related articles relevant to Canadian fruits and news just relevant to Canadian fruits etc.

I hope I am clear. If not kindly let me know and I will do my best to explain again.
    Thank you very much. Your kindness would be much appreciated! :-)

More
    14 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
    Yes. You don't need to elaborate your reasons for designing your website's organisational hierarchy. How you design it is your prerogative. :)

If you want separate menu items on your home page to separate forum categories, that's easily achievable (see Link menu item to forum category ).

I think you can address the URL issue (the "search engine friendlines") if you assign a menu alias to each menu link (for each forum category). That's something you can experiment with. Do you need me to elaborate more? :dry:

More
    14 years 1 month ago #5 by Kindness
    You are simply amazing!!! I would experiment with this and let you know how it turns out! Once again, thank you very much :-)

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds