Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question vBulletin to Kunena 1.5

More
14 years 5 months ago #1 by douglass29
I prefer Kunena on a website that I'm working on.

I used jFusion to move over all of the user accounts. And I have an integration with JomSocial.

What I'm looking to do now is move over the forums from vBulletin into Kunena. I was going to switch to Agora, but I really don't like the setup that they offer. Kunena is perfect for what I need.

I have seen some threads on here going from Kunena to vBulletin, but what's the best and easiest way to move vBulletin over to Kunena??

Thanks,

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beerallica
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #2 by beerallica
Replied by beerallica on topic Re: vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
Almost two months later, there has been no answer to this question, which means that there is currently no migration script from vB to Kunena. I am running a busy website using vBulletin as the forum solution but I hate it that users need to have two separate logins, plus the new version broke compatibility with our custom-made skin and now we have to pay again to have it ported to the new version. I'd prefer having everything under the same hood seamlessly working together.

Is there a notification list I can enter my email and get notified whenever a vB->Kunena migration script is crafted?

Thanks,

Alex

More
14 years 3 months ago #3 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
Currently there is no such list. I believe that the best solution is to follow our twitter feed (for official converter) or take a look into our site time to time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaRe

More
14 years 3 months ago #4 by kirblam
Replied by kirblam on topic Re: vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
I highly recommend using Forum Migrations for this. www.forum-migrations.com/

The guy who runs it is very responsible and responsive. I used them to migrate vbulletin to kunena and they did a great job.

Eventually, I'm sure someone will create a migration script for this but until something rock solid comes along I would use the FM service.

K

More
14 years 3 months ago #5 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re:vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
This is a commercial thing, your datas are manipulated by a third party, so you have no guarantee, if the guys by example resells your datas like email...

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
14 years 3 months ago #6 by kirblam
Replied by kirblam on topic Re:vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
I guess that's a risk, however a decent commercial enterprise has a lot to lose by selling email addresses and ruining their reputation.

There are definitely scams out there however:
    You are taking a risk *any* time a Joomla extension vendor asks for your admin login.
    You are taking a risk any time a template vendor works on your system and can view your configuration.php file.
    You are especially taking a risk any time a developer has access privileges to your database.

Ideally, you would always have internal staff work on your Joomla site but that's not always possible - especially for a very small company or single joomla site owner. I am a FT joomla developer and I manage a small group of contractors. Every now and then I am put in a position where I need to staff up with a freelancer. In those cases, I try to lock down privileges to a specific directory (module, template etc). I also try to hire people who I believe would have more to lose by acting unethically, meaning, they have a real business built up and it wouldn't make sense to risk it over some resold email addresses.

Also, that's why you should always include a few "fake" accounts in your forums if you are concerned that a conversion service might use the email addresses unethically. If those accounts, which should have email addresses that do not appear anywhere else, suddenly start to get spam emails, then you know your data has been compromised by a vendor. Of course, it's a little late if it's after the fact, however, you can still warn others about an unethical vendor and let that vendor know that you've caught them. If everybody did this, it would force some people to reconsider before they engaged in reselling email addresses - they would get caught.

Specifically I can say that Forum Migrations seems to have handled everything ethically. And yes, I do have fake accounts in my converted forum and no, none of them have received spam.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7 by forum-migrations
Hello,

About the risks, yes i think that you take risks with every extension/plugin/component that you install, and isn't just a problem of bad intentions of programmers, vulnerabilities that makes possible SQL injection attacks, remote file inclusion and cross site scripting, for example i like to install lot of components, but i take a big risk if i'm not updating each one every month, or sometimes every week.

About the service, part of this problem is the distribution, because i have to see how all paid scripts and products are available on warez websites, and of course i can include limitations and serials but in my experience i can tell that everything is vulnerable, to cracking, doesn't matter what programmers do, the piracy isn't going to stop ever, maybe a business service-oriented will be the next paradigm (in fact the cloud is coming!).

I want to have a good and legal service, offer migration solutions that you can't find on the market, not just forums, every application, because of that you wont find any kind of spam or that kind of problems.

Anyway you are free for send opinions and suggestions about the service or the model of business.

More
14 years 3 months ago #8 by damsella
Replied by damsella on topic Re:vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
I need this too, and I have just applied on your site forum-migrations.

More
14 years 2 months ago #9 by JBMoney
Replied by JBMoney on topic Re: vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
kirblam wrote:

I highly recommend using Forum Migrations for this. www.forum-migrations.com/

The guy who runs it is very responsible and responsive. I used them to migrate vbulletin to kunena and they did a great job.

It's been a while but I forgot to second this. The fellow in charge was very thorough, and even went as far as to refine/upgrade his converter to help in my case. He was very committed to making sure I was satisfied with his product.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #10 by SEOLord
Replied by SEOLord on topic Re: vBulletin to Kunena 1.5
It's actualy an simple deal...but you got to go through another board first!

I have converted SMF to Kunena ...so It's a easy, working thing.
Also I have converted Vbulletin to SMF with SMF convertors with success.

You got the ideea? :)

You can try it...let others know if you made it out ok...and always take backups ;)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by SEOLord.

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds