Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Manual Install Help

More
14 years 10 months ago #1 by solmartin
Hi there,

I am wondering if it is possible to manually install Kunena? I have not found information regarding this on the boards yet.

My situation involves the mySQL has gone away error, and simple timeouts (this happens with every install, not just Kunena).

Can someone instruct me as to where I should upload each folder via ftp? Below is what I am doing:

1. Unzip latest stable Kunena
2. Upload all files via ftp to appropriate folder (need direction here!)
3. Go to Extensions / Install-Uninstall
4. Install zip file
5. Done!

From what I understand from past installs, the zip folders don't unpack during install, and thus it times out the SQL table creation. That's why I manually upload everything.

Thanks!

(ps: joomla 1.5.11, kunena 1.5.3, php5)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #2 by Lintzy
Replied by Lintzy on topic Re:Manual Install Help
Manual installation of database will not be possible:

docs.kunena.com/index.php/Installation_Issues

But you can ftp the unzipped package into a seperate folder on your server and use the Joomla option to install from an existing directory.

That way you don't go through the slow Joomla installer and the sinatllation will finish quickly.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3 by solmartin
Replied by solmartin on topic Re:Manual Install Help
Lintzy,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually not looking to manually upload the database info. To expand my question, I would like to place the unzipped Kunena folders into each appropriate sub-directory manually. Once they are in place, the install works. I am just unsure as to where each folder would go.

eg: to install jce editor, I would unzip the files, and then place them within plugins/editors/ and then install the zip via the joomla installer.

Hope this makes sense.

More
14 years 10 months ago #4 by Lintzy
Replied by Lintzy on topic Re:Manual Install Help
Did you try this?

But you can ftp the unzipped package into a seperate folder on your server and use the Joomla option to install from an existing directory.

More
14 years 10 months ago #5 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re:Manual Install Help
Lintzy wrote:

Did you try this?

I'd second that.

Use the install from folder option in Joomla.

Upload the entire package to a folder of your choice on your server. Unzip or untar it.

Use the Joomla installer to install from there.

No it is not possible to install by hand. Way too many files, settings, Joomla internal settings and entries, database setup, version control that must be handled by the installer and our install code.

Not even we developers install it by hand because it is too complex and failure prone.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 10 months ago #6 by solmartin
I just tried - I uploaded the unzipped com_kunena_v1.5.3_stable_b1688_2009-06-15 folder to my /tmp directory, and did the install. The result was a DB error, as shown below. As a clear understanding (so no one browsing gets mistaken), this is not a kunena issue.
Code:
* Component Install: DB function failed with error number 2006 MySQL server has gone away SQL=INSERT INTO jos_components VALUES( 0, 'Kunena Forum', 'option=com_kunena', 0, 0, 'option=com_kunena', 'Kunena Forum', 'com_kunena', 0, 'js/ThemeOffice/component.png', 0, '', 1 ) SQL = INSERT INTO jos_components VALUES( 0, 'Kunena Forum', 'option=com_kunena', 0, 0, 'option=com_kunena', 'Kunena Forum', 'com_kunena', 0, 'js/ThemeOffice/component.png', 0, '', 1 ) * JFTP::delete: Bad response * JFTP::delete: Bad response * Error Loading ModulesMySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT id, title, module, position, content, showtitle, control, params FROM jos_modules AS m LEFT JOIN jos_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id WHERE m.published = 1 AND m.access <= 2 AND m.client_id = 1 ORDER BY position, ordering

It's a really annoying situation for me, because it does this for every component, plugin, etc. All joomla installs are on a shared server, which includes shared bandwidth (I cannot control this - I'm just the designer!).

The only workaround I've found is to do the file upload to its end destination. Then it works - joomla assumes that the add-on is already installed, and then just uploads the DB info.

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #7 by solmartin
Sweet - found a solution!

For the fact that someone else will surely have this issue at some point in the future, I would like to give a solution that may help:

If Kunena does not install via Extensions > Install/Uninstall Component, go to global configuration > Server, and set Enable FTP to No.

Some shared Apache servers apparently have installer issues otherwise!
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by solmartin. Reason: found an answer

Time to create page: 2.845 seconds