Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Problems editing user profile

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #1 by gero9mo
Hi,

I have problems editing the profile in my Forum (kunena 1.5.9). I've got the exact same problem as the dude in this post

My birthdate is set to 0001.01.01
I'm old, but not THAT old lol

I use Aplpha UserPoints, but tried to disable all settings etc, nothing helped. I've set a requirement for people to edit their profile properly - but aint so cool when i cant offer something that actually works hehe

(uninstalled phpbb3 and installed kunena instead - hope i made the right choice)

Thanks for any help
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by gero9mo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

How can i reproduce your issue ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #3 by gero9mo
Hi,

Well, all i did was installing Kunena. I did a migration from phpBB3, but exept from smileys not being updated - everything seem to work perfect exept the edit profile. But, i don't think the migration is the cause. Other people have had this issue, so I think it's a Kunenea problem. The problem i have is exactly the same as in the post i linked to in the firt post here.

I cant replicate the problem, because i dont know what triggered it.

My forum is located here:

3wpoker.com/3wpoker-forum

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
gero9mo wrote:

I have problems editing the profile in my Forum (kunena 1.5.9). I've got the exact same problem as the dude in this post

It's difficult to know how to reply, when you read one of these " I have the same problem ... " questions. One of our problems in these forums is that we offer help, ask whether the suggestions help solve the problem (in order to help other users, like you, who may be in the same situation) and users don't respond. When a new problem comes along, points us to a similar situation (one that should have solved the problem) what do you expect we should tell those users? "Well, if you have exactly the same problem then you should use exactly the same solution." I suppose that would be a reasonable response, wouldn't you agree? :dry:

However, the plot thickens.

gero9mo wrote:

I can't replicate the problem, because I don't know what triggered it.

My forum is located here: 3wpoker.com/3wpoker-forum

Now, it's not easy for us, helping you (and believe me, we are trying to help you), to reproduce the symptoms of your problem because the issue involves modifying a user profile on your website. Sure, you've provided us with the URL of your website, but you haven't provided us with a test account so that we can attempt to simulate your current predicament. Do you see our problem in helping you? :S

So now I'm left with a jigsaw puzzle missing several pieces: we "can't edit user profiles" and we "can't replicate the problem" either. I only have one question for you and forgive me for sounding a little naïve: "Do you know how to edit your user profile?" :S

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #5 by gero9mo

"Do you know how to edit your user profile?

hehe, I think I know where the button/link is yes.

Listen, i understand what you mean, but it's not easy for me either, to replicate a problem when i don't know where it started...

I'll set up a user account for you - details i send by PM if it's ok?

Thanks for helping

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #6 by sozzled
There is no problem here: I was able to change the birth date of the account that you provided me with.

As I wrote before, "Do you know how to edit your user profile?"

I searched the forum and the documentation Wiki for information that would help you, and others, about how to change their user profile. I was surprised that I did not find a simple answer. Perhaps we should write something?

The first step is to click the "My Profile" link at the top of your Kunena forum page. Depending on whether you have a third-party product like JomSocial or Community Builder integrated with Kunena, you will be taken to your Kunena user profile page which looks like this:

You will observe that there are a number of links on the left side of this page that allow you to change some of your preferences:

The link that I've circled in the above illustration is the one you use to change the birth date information. If you investigate the other links on this page you will be able to change other user preferences such as message ordering, subscriptions, forum "signature". Perhaps, after you have worked out how these features work for you, you might like to contribute an article to our documentation Wiki that explains to others how these features work?
Attachments:

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #7 by gero9mo
Hi,

lol - you are almost rude dude. I installed this forum 5 days ago. How do you demand that i have provided a FULL documentation within this time??????

Listen, on the left side, there is a link called "EDIT YOUR DETAILS" by all means, shouldn't this be the button that edits my details - NOT a link saying "MY Profile info". My profile info should be an overview of the profile info, the edit should be an edit area..man...sorry for missunderstanding and not clicking a link that i cant believe is the edit link. Check my image to see why i started wondering when i clicked EDIT you details.

But, despite the fact that you treat me like a "not so wice guy" - i thank you for your help :)
Attachments:

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #8 by gero9mo
lol - reading my inbox

members have started asking me the same question i ask. They click on "Edit Your details" and they think the profile can't be changed. Even the edit of you avatar is in the first "block" of the controll panel on the left side. Now i gotta tell them that it's the "Profile info" that edits your details.

The "Profile Info" is even placed under "Forum Settings". Your details ain't forum settings, they are "Personal Information".....and should belong under the "Personal Info"

Is it only me and my members that find this linking a bit "weird"?

Sry for getting confused by the "dizzy" linking and headers

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #9 by sozzled
This has been an interesting subject. What started as one of those " I have the same problem " questions (which, I always suspected that it wouldn't be) resulted in making the astounding discovery that one of the most basic features of Kunena: - how to edit your user profile - lacks the most superficial level of documentation. :blush:

Of course, that's not unusual with a project that is as complex and functionally rich as Kunena.

It may come as a surprise to this user (and to others reading this thread) that I have had nothing to do with the construction of Kunena. I am just a humble user, like everyone else, and my knowledge is largely the result of my own research and questioning. What may be intuitively obvious to me may seem quite arcane or absurd to someone else. Oh well, vive la différance! :laugh: But the fact remains that we do appreciate and value the feedback that users provide every day that will help improve the Kunena project for a long time to come.

Regrettably it's too late to do anything, or change anything, with K 1.5. The obscure behaviours, the confusing terminology and the awkward procedures that users have to endure to perform everyday tasks are just going to have to be things we will have to endure.

However, we do have an opportunity to make a difference. We have an opportunity to correct some of the mistakes made in the past. We can provide real constructive feedback to help redesign the next version of Kunena. To do that requires positive feedback. It's not a case of saying "that's weird" ... it's more about "I think it should look like this" and then go on to describe how you'd like to see it changed.

But, in the short-term, there's not much else that can be said other than "that's the way things work" ... and be patient ... and keep your users informed about what's happening.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #10 by gero9mo
Hi,

A great reply - and I thank you for it, and your kind help

I agree on everything you say in fact, and I gotta learn how to post a "start topic" if I encounter problems hehe.

I hope the team behind Kunene will change the issues in this post on the next version. It is kinda obvious that the link for "Edit Your Details" should contain a page where you in fact "Edit Your Details" :)

I hope the best for Kunenas future

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds