Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question I am trying to get started to use kunena for a website!

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by XxVimsxX
Hello, Everyone

I have gotten WAMP server installed, I coppied the joomla files from the .zip folder, i went to the localhost and i was able to get it set up so joomla installer came up. i got to step 4 and i entered the host "localhost", username "root", pass "********" and then i didnt know what to put for the database part, so i put "test" and i cliked the "next" button and it didn't go on to the next step! :( I also accidentally changed the password for the admin of phplocaladmin, i tried to get back into the phplocaladmin and it said "access denied", and i tried to uninstall and reinstall the WAMP server and it didnt reset the password! :( If someone could please help me get that fixed and tell me how to get past

I have a couple questions. Here I go!
    What server is most used for Joomla/Kunena?
    How would i change the password for the phplocaladmin?

Thnks,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

please stop posting in every place, you will haven't answer more quickly.

Look the documentation dedicated for that : wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Config#password

You can here for instructions for an hoster : docs.kunena.com/index.php/Advices_when_y...for_a_community_site

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by XxVimsxX
do i have to pay for the hosting and the password for the phplocaladmin is changed and i can't get INTO the phplocaladmin to set up the server!

plz help me get rid of the password...

Thnks,

Tom

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by XxVimsxX
Will someone plz help me with these questions?

Thnks

Tom

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled
G'day, Tom :)

Let's try to separate the issues first, shall we?

WAMP is software that you install on your PC that "transforms" your PC into a webserver. WAMP stands for Windows Apache MySQL PHP. In other words, WAMP combines the three basic components that you need to run Joomla: Apache webserver, MySQL databatase and the PHP language.

But WAMP doesn't mean that you can simply hook up your PC to the internet and start sharing your work with everyone else in the world.

WAMP allows you to develop your own web sites for you or for others on your local area network. To get out into the "real world" you need other equipment. Most of us have neither the time, the energy or the know-how to do that. Most people buy this expertise and this support for a few dollars each month; for a few dollars each month it becomes someone else's problem! ;)

When you buy into a webhosting plan, the company may also offer you domain name registration. A quick telephone call to them will get you started.

But, if you really want to know how to get into Joomla I recommend that you buy or borrow and read a good book on the subject. For example,
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. This book explains how to setup and install WAMP server.
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
I own both these books, they're excellent value and I know they will answer all your questions for a long time to come! ;)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by XxVimsxX
What do you mean by local area network? and is there ANY way i can use like a sub domain for my site instead of just buying one?

Thnks,

Tom

More
14 years 1 month ago #7 by sozzled
You can find the answers to questions like Local Area Network and Domain Names if you use Google.

No, it's not a simple matter of getting hold of a sub-domain for free, not unless the owner of the domain allows it. That's something you have to negotiate with the owner of the domain. If you own your own domain, you can use any sub-domain name that you like (if you want). For instance, suppose you owned the domain tom.com; you could create a site called kunena.tom.com or another one called myhobbies.tom.com and so on and so forth. People who obtain their own domain names usually acquire them through a domain name registration service provider. The cost varies from provider to provider. Normally, you obtain the right to use the domain name for a limited time after which you need to renew your licence. A typical price for a .com domain name is about $5 a year for two years. Acquiring a domain name does not equate to having a webhosting provider. That's a separate issue.

Suppose you buy your internet hosting plan though sozzled's international webhosting company (sozzleds-iwc.net). And let us say that this fictitious company allows its users who don't own their own domain names to use their domain. They might let you use tom.sozzleds-iwc.net. These kinds of options vary between webhosting companies. Again, a phone call to them can answer this question.

More
14 years 1 month ago #8 by XxVimsxX
Ok, i live in Michigan in the USA. i play a game called jade dynasty and my alliance is called DarkOath, if i make a local area site, would people from let's say Miami, Flordia be able to view it?

More
14 years 1 month ago #9 by sozzled
A Local Area Network (or LAN) means the computer or two or more computers that are locally connected via a network bridge. They may be wired together or they may be connected wirelessly. Typically, if you live at home, this means the computers connected within the house. In order to get out of your house to someone else's house you need to use the internet.

Like I said, if you Google the definition, it's explained in much better detail than I am attempting to provide to you.

More
14 years 1 month ago #10 by XxVimsxX
what is a cheap domain service that you use for your website? that is $5 a year? for 2 years?

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds