Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Can I change user access for individual categories/forums?

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by friend
I have a client that wants one category/forum to allow unregistered users to post jobs for his members (with captcha system) -- no problem

BUT they also want a "Ask Us" section for unregistered users to POST a question, but only registered users to REPLY.

I tried a lot of googling and browsing these forums but haven't found anything substantial, so I appeal to the community for direction.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
friend wrote:

I have a client that wants one category/forum to allow unregistered users to post jobs for his members (with captcha system) -- no problem

BUT they also want a "Ask Us" section for unregistered users to POST a question, but only registered users to REPLY.

The dilemma is this: you want to allow users to post once to a forum but not be able to post again. That about sums it up, doesn't it?

I know this question has been asked before and there really isn't a satisfactory solution for it. The best idea that I can suggest to you (in Kunena terms) is this:
  1. Create a forum category and allow unrestricted public postings. Call this public forum "Questions" (or something similar).
  2. Have your moderators look at these questions and, if they seem "legitimate" or "answerable" move them to another forum that's restricted (in other words, put them into a "Questions on Notice" forum) that only your registered users have the ability to write into. You may also want to hide this category from public view - that's up to you.
  3. When the question has been answered, the moderator can place the thread back to the original forum and lock it. If the "Questions on Notice" is publicly viewable (but not writeable) there's nothing more to do. If, however, the "Questions on Notice" category is not publicly viewable, you will have to move the topic to another category that is publicly viewable but not publicly writebale.
Whatever method(s) work for you, you need a dedicated and active moderator group to juggle the topics around.

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by friend
Well thank you for your quick reply! Unfortunately this solution will not fly for this particular client... He has a very exacting view of how the site should perform.

I think I am in over my head.

Much appreciated.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Tell your client that a forum solution is probably not the best answer and that he needs some kind of "help desk" application ... and it won't come free. Look at the Joomla Extensions Directory for "help desk" or "service desk" apps.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by friend
That is a great idea! Thank you for the direction :)

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds