Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Karma logging in db and karma_time

More
14 years 9 months ago #1 by mraab
A question regarding the logging of IP addresses of people giving or substracting Karma points:
1. Is the IP address of a user logged when changing somebody's Karma? I thought I found it once in the database but cannot find it now (using 1.0.8).
2. What is logged in the table fb_users under karma_time?

The reason that I am asking these questions is that I seem to have one user in my forum apparently taking a lot of pleasure in deducting Karma points of other users in the forum over and over again...

Thanks,
Matthias

Deutsche in Melbourne | Deutsche in Perth |
Deutsche in Brisbane |

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
I don't have anything definite (by way of answers) for you except for a few thoughts on the subject. I don't think that Kunena has any logging mechanism about user "karma". I recall a discussion we had here a while ago when one of the developers indicated a major overhaul of the karma points system in a future version.

Like many people, I think that "karma" without accountability is a system that's more abused than used the way it should be. It makes no sense to me that "karma" points should be deducted at all. Where's the incentive for people to contribute to your message forums if cowards can attack your contributors with impunity, hiding themselves within the fog of anonymity? Karma without accountability isn't a reward system at all! It mostly serves to boost the egos of "karma whores". My recommendation is to turn it off. B)

I'm not worried that I used to have twice (or more) as many "karma" points as I currently have. If someone wants to waste their time obsessing about how much karma I have, that's their problem. It won't affect what I say or how I think one little bit!

I don't mind that people disagree with me. As my signature says "If you think I'm wrong then say 'I think you're wrong' ...". It shows greater integrity to engage the issues rather than occupy one's time in karma bashing, wouldn't you agree? I think that removing karma, removing the desire to compete, levels the playing field. It certainly eliminates one opportunity for cowards to undermine your efforts to reward your site visitors.

Serious message forums reward their contributors in other ways. People may vote for, or award points to, their favourite discussion threads. The site administrators or moderators can highlight/"sticky" important discussions. Those are real, tangible ways to reward effort. Visitors to your website know who are your decent, hardworking, honest and/or helpful contributors not because they've got "karma" or they've got a higher "rank". People aren't fools and they don't need to be shown who works the hardest to give your site value.

Cheers

sozz :)
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3 by mraab
Nice thoughts, sozz. I may turned it off, indeed.
Matthias

Deutsche in Melbourne | Deutsche in Perth |
Deutsche in Brisbane |

More
14 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
*bump* This discussion may be interesting to some people.

More
14 years 9 months ago #5 by Matias
karma_time is used to prevent users to overuse karma system. Only one point in 6 hours is permitted.

We already have code (hack) for logging karma -- I need to talk with our responsible dev to contribute it. I also hope that we could at least integrate it to K1.6. Better choice would be to get rid of karma and have a better (rewarding) system instead. IMHO it should be just a way to give feedback from your messages (dislike, like and reason). That information should be private and point you what the other users would like to see and where you need to pay more attention.

I totally agree with negative karma -- it can often be seen as a way to smoke unwanted person out of the forum. This is usually done by one person or a small group. Message # based ranks have also their use, but sometimes people see only your message count, not what you have contributed.

More
14 years 9 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Bad Karma
Thank you for your supportive reply, Matias.

It may be worth noting that, when I wrote my "opinion piece", my Karma was about 7 points (it had been 15 about a week before). Two days ago (and a couple of hundred messages later) my Karma was 14. Yesterday it was 13. When I first logged in this morning (an hour ago) it was 9. Now it's 8! :ohmy:

I don't put any stock in this number. B) Evidently some people do, or they think that by bashing a particular individual they can apply pressure to force them from the group.

I say this with the utmost charity to everyone at www.kunena.com . If I like something, I'll say so. If I disagree with something, I'll say so. I'm honest enough to say these things in public. Just because I disagree doesn't mean that I'm wrong any more than someone who disagrees with me should not be entitled to their opinion. However, to be fair and honest, let's eliminate the negativity that exists at www.kunena.com , or at least let's bring some accountability into the system.

Thank you :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic My Karma is a yo-yo
Two seconds ago, when I posted my message, my Karma was 8. Now it's 10. What the hell ...? :laugh:

More
14 years 9 months ago #8 by Lintzy
I would suggest, to disable whole karma pointing system and wait, until it becomes that, what Matias wrote:

Better choice would be to get rid of karma and have a better (rewarding) system instead. IMHO it should be just a way to give feedback from your messages (dislike, like and reason). That information should be private and point you what the other users would like to see and where you need to pay more attention.

And no Karma for persons. Karma for answers, this is the best way in my opinion.

More
14 years 9 months ago #9 by Lintzy
Okay, we have discussed about it yet in Kunena Team and we decided to disable Karma and find a better and juster (vote /thank you /karma) system.

More
14 years 9 months ago #10 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Happy Karma
:woohoo:

This is a better, more honest, more equitable and more "open" system. This means that people can contribute without expecting any specific rewards but, more importantly, they won't be "punished" for expressing their opinions. Thank you, Lintzy.

If people want to show a preference for those discussions that are helpful, or more interesting than others, they can choose them as "favourites". This may help guide new, novice users in seeking rewarding sources of information. The "sticky posts" method is also good, too, if used sensibly. B)

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds