Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Forum not showing in google results

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by themoneytank
Hi

I have a forum at www.ukweddingreviews.co.uk/index.php?opt...com_kunena&Itemid=54 which as far as i can see is not showing up in google search results.

I've tried searching for instructions on how to set this up but cant seem to find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Sally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2 by GoremanX
Do you mean that you look it up in Google, and it's not there?
Do you use Google Analytics? Or Google Webmaster tools? Have you checked if Google is indexing that page?

Or do you mean that you use Google search on your site, and your own search results don't include forum posts?
Did you enable the Kunena Search plugin in the Joomla plugin manager?

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: themoneytank

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #3 by sozzled
As far as I can see, your forum shows up in Google. What's the problem?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #4 by themoneytank
I mean that when i look it up in google it's not there, in fact the same seems to apply to other parts of my site such as the articles i have. For instance i have an article titled 'What are wine glass charms and how can I use them at my wedding?' now when i put this exact phrase into google my site is nowhere to be seen despite there being no other exact matches to that phrase.

The forum posts i cant seem to get to show up in google, even when i put 'uk wedding reviews forum' or an exact phrase into google which someone has said on the forum, nothing shows up at all. My home page appears in position 2 for 'uk wedding reviews forum', but why isnt the forum as its own thing? Surely the forum page is the most relevent to this search term, not the homepage. Confused!

Could this have something to do with the global settings in joomla? Like ive seen search engine friendly urls are turned off, but when i turn them on my whole site goes like black and white and everything else disappears which scared me a bit so i turned it all back off!

Is this all just a case of my seo isnt up to scratch on my site or is there a certain setting i need to turn on like sef urls to make everything show up properly?

Sorry for the long post!

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled
See www.google.com.au/#sclient=psy&hl=en&saf...&fp=5cff416d1709d818

What are you complaining about. The topic subject says "Forum not showing in Google results" Your forum shows in Google results. I don't think it's fair to claim that, just because your site isn't ranked at the top by Google, this is a failing of Kunena. do you?

themoneytank wrote:

Surely the forum page is the most relevent to this search term, not the homepage.

The algorithm for rating page relevance in Google is well-documented, your personal views on the subject notwithstanding. Again, this is unrelated to Kunena. These things are related to site metadata. The Kunena project makes no specific claims about the value of metadata used by search engines.

I agree that Kunena might be made more "metadata effective" but it's a far distant issue - in a support sense - from comparing the effectiveness of a Google relevance factor to saying "Forum not showing in Google".

K 1.5 is not as "metadata effective" as K 1.6. This fact has already been mentioned several times over the last 12 months. If you want your forum to be more effective in Google, I suggest that you upgrade to K 1.6 as soon as possible. I'm sure that you will notice an improvement. :)
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6 by themoneytank
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, no where did i say or suggest that this is a fault of Kunena, or that the articles not showing up which are not kunena related had anything to do with Kunena.

I simply want to know what I am doing wrong, not what is wrong with kunena.

When i first submitted the question about the forum i submitted it because i did a search on google and realised that i couldnt find any of the topics in the forums on my site through a google search. I was wondering whether i had not optimised something properley in the kunena settings or indeed in the joomla global configuration settings. It was not until after i had posted this question that i realised that other things were proving difficult to find via a google search too, in fact the only things i ever get found from according to google analytics are companies listed on my site under the jreviews extension. So generally i was wondering what i was doing wrong?

At this point i also asked the question over in the joomla forums, the question being about my entire sites content except for the jreviews content which seems to do pretty well in google results.

I realise and always did realise that something is not right in the settings somewhere whether that be in the kunena settings or the joomla core settings themselves and that this is something which i myself have not done correctly, no blame was ever put on kunena for 'failing me'

More
13 years 1 month ago #7 by themoneytank
Sorry have just noticed your part at the bottom about upgrading kunena, i will do this now and also go and try to work out how to enable sef urls without it messing up my site. Thanks for your help.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled
See Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in the Wiki, read the guide very carefully and thoroughly, and if you are having problems with your site going "black and white" please seek help at forum.joomla.org

More
13 years 1 month ago #9 by themoneytank
Thanks, will do

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds