Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Advice on HOSTING Kunena?

More
13 years 6 months ago #1 by markxcool
My current website hosting provider might not useful for muy KUNENA intense site anymore, since it seems inevitable that I must upgrade to more expensive options in order to not have my site go down.

I admit that I have some pretty resource-demanding components on my Joomla 1.5 site (e.g.: JoomlaWatch), but Kunena seems to take the cake with users clicking "Recent Discussions" and posting in very intense bouts at times.

So when I have 5+ users logged in to my site/forums, some sort of limit is reached and soon gives an "Internal Server Error" or just loads the page without any graphics (like just text)...basically server errors.

My hosting provider (DreamHost) pointed me towards a Virtual Private Server that I tried for a week. But the problem still occurred (though not as much); I then tried a Private Server for just the Mysql Database - some result (better, but still server issues); lastly I moved my site to another server - it still ocurred.

Clarification: I tried these options one by one, not incrementally nor altogether. Each one of these options would have cost me $15 per month to stay with (if all together about, $40, including the $10/m hosting charge).

Evidently the cost was way out of my budget for a popular but still hobby website of mine.... I can pay $120 / year for fun, but not $40 / month ($480/yr).

Over the last day I have being trying to research my might be a good hosting option, but its hard to decided on the next option (it seems most hosting services bait customers with initial cheap monthly costs, but then force them to upgrade in order to have reliable service, something required for spike usage hours).

So! My question to all is

1) Have you experienced this issue?

2) What have you done to resolve it? Any specific feature that I should request from my hosting company?

I take the liberty to talk about this here since it really is just intense Kunena usage that has caused this issue, so it may be of interest to all.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Sharing and caring!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Advice on HOSTING Kunena?
Since you are posting this in a Kunena 1.5 section I assume you are running Kunena 1.5

You really need to consider Kunena 1.6

A MAJOR investment of our time went into performance. Kunena 1.6 runs 1/10 or even less the amount of queries compared to 1.5.

Whatever hosting you end up going with, I would recommend you test Kunena 1.6 - the performance will be very different than older versions.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: markxcool

More
13 years 6 months ago #3 by snilloconator
The speed is much greater with K1.6 and even faster than other popular forums. Ever since I moved to K1.6 I have had guest tell me how much faster the site was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: markxcool

More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by markxcool
Replied by markxcool on topic Advice on HOSTING Kunena?
Yeah... I'm using Kunena 1.5.x

Excellent to know that K1.6 might solve the problem! This is priceless information. Thank you.

Other than the upgrading angle (i.e.: 1.5 to 1.6) I still wonder if anyone can speak to the HOSTING aspect of this question. Thanks!

Sharing and caring!

More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by sozzled

markxcool wrote: I still wonder if anyone can speak to the HOSTING aspect of this question. Thanks!

Off-topic as far as Kunena is concerned, but you might look at the topic Your web hosting provider? and continue the discussion there.

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds