Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Is there a way to set user restrictions based on forum-user posting options?

More
13 years 9 months ago #1 by testuser555
(I moved this question from another location on the site where I posted in the wrong section.)

I want to limit the ability of guests and registered, non-paid users, by restricting the ability to upload images/avatars; restrict the ability to embed videos and images/use of html in posts to paid members ONLY, but reading posts and starting new topics is allowed for all (just want to restrict what they can add in their posts if they don't have a paid membership). Are these restriction settings possible in Kunena? I'm new to Joomla and Kunena and am only just learning my way around the software; seems rather complicated thus far.

Thanks,

Rachel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by Cerberus

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #3 by sozzled
G'day, Rachel, and welcome to Kunena. Let's see if we can uncomplicate matters for you.

Kunena uses standard Joomla user registration. Whatever Joomla knows about the user, Kunena knows about the user. Obviously, Kunena needs to know a little bit more about users than Joomla does, such as whether the user is a forum moderator, for example. But, that's the basic idea.

Joomla user registration can be assisted by third-party products like Community Builder or JomSocial. These third-party products extend the information about users in order users to make use of other extensions developed for those products. One possible feature of such products is "paid subscriptions".

Kunena doesn't know about what lies beyond "basic" Joomla, although it is possible for third-party products to know some things (and to affect some behaviours) of Kunena. For example, it's possible to use the JomSocial user profile or the Community Builder user profile to view a user's Kunena posts. It's also possible for Kunena to use JomSocial or Community Builder avatar images.

However, because Kunena doesn't know about "paid subscribers", Kunena can't discriminate between them or any other user ... and there's your problem.

So, when it comes to setting up your categories, there is no current mechanism within Joomla 1.5 to define "paid subscribers". If we can define who are these users then it should be possible to adapt Kunena to suit your requirement. This can be done and I think you will find the background discussion on this subject helpful: [Merged topic] User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs .
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4 by testuser555

sozzled wrote: G'day, Rachel, and welcome to Kunena. Let's see if we can uncomplicate matters for you.

Kunena uses standard Joomla user registration. Whatever Joomla knows about the user, Kunena knows about the user. Obviously, Kunena needs to know a little bit more about users than Joomla does, such as whether the user is a forum moderator, for example. But, that's the basic idea.

Joomla user registration can be assisted by third-party products like Community Builder or JomSocial. These third-party products extend the information about users in order users to make use of other extensions developed for those products. One possible feature of such products is "paid subscriptions".

Kunena doesn't know about what lies beyond "basic" Joomla, although it is possible for third-party products to know some things (and to affect some behaviours) of Kunena. For example, it's possible to use the JomSocial user profile or the Community Builder user profile to view a user's Kunena posts. It's also possible for Kunena to use JomSocial or Community Builder avatar images.

However, because Kunena doesn't know about "paid subscribers", Kunena can't discriminate between them or any other user ... and there's your problem.

So, when it comes to setting up your categories, there is no current mechanism within Joomla 1.5 to define "paid subscribers". If we can define who are these users then it should be possible to adapt Kunena to suit your requirement. This can be done and I think you will find the background discussion on this subject helpful: [Merged topic] User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs .

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'm going to have to search for some other forum script. Kunena is a really great forum; however, it would have been a "super-script" with the paid members option. I do believe someone wrote (on one of the forums here) that they were able to manipulate the payment issue a bit using paypal on their Kunena forum, but that still doesn't solve my problem of needing specific user-restrictions :unsure: ;)

More
13 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled
That's OK if Joomla 1.5 doesn't meet your requirements and Kunena doesn't meet your forum needs. The Joomla community is eagerly awaiting a stable release of Joomla 1.6 that will have the required ACL functionality that will probably address your requirements. It is also planned that a future version of Kunena will, likewise, be able to leverage Joomla 1.6 is the way that you want to use it. These things are, however, matters for the future. Good luck in your search.

Time to create page: 0.635 seconds