Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

More
12 years 3 months ago #1 by unleash.it
Hi Everyone,

Well this seems like it would be a common question, but after spending a bunch of time searching for answer on the forum I haven't really found one.

What I'd like to do is to allow new users to the forum to upload their avatars on registration (or choose from a gallery). As far as I can tell, there is no way to accomplish this without either Community Builder or Jom Social. So I've installed community builder (for this sole purpose) hoping that I can get the integration just right.

The problem is "don't" want to have to use CB profile pages (very poor design and usability, without a TON of work). Fortunately, the settings of the integration tab in Kununa allow us to choose to use Kununa for profiles and CB for registration and avatars. The only issue with this is with that combination, there is no way for a user to upload their avatar at a later time if they didn't do it during registration (because the avatar tab is now missing from the Kunena).

Short of using Jom Social which is not an option for this project, does anyone have an idea to allow avatars on reg AND be able to add them to Kununa profile?

That would be awesome.

Another solution that could work well would be if anyone has created a plugin for Kununa to use a Seblod image field as an Avatar, as I am using Seblod on the site. Long shot I know, but I'd be happy to help beta test :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
Kunena does not handle site registration. There is no "select avatar" when you register (even with JomSocial or Community Builder). Users must choose an avatar after their registration is accepted/approved/activated. This is quite normal and it's a good feature, too, because this means that users cannot add some image that may be inappropriate for your website.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #3 by unleash.it
Ooops... this can be deleted. Sorry, I somehow started a new topic.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by unleash.it.

More
12 years 3 months ago #4 by unleash.it

There is no "select avatar" when you register (even with JomSocial or Community Builder).

?? I do really appreciate the quick response but I think you must have misunderstand my post. That isn't true, of course there is a way. If not w/core Joomla (which I suspected and you succinctly answered), in both community builder and jom social... in fact when I just registered on your very site, I was given the opportunity to upload an avatar ;)

So if you or anyone else can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm stuck right now. What I want is actually in place right here on the Kununa site. Very simple:

A) user has option to upload avatar upon registration. Would be great if they can ALSO have the ability to select from a gallery. With CB, both of these are possible: example on my site: www.jasongallagher.org/component/comprofiler/registers.html . I did this 3 years ago (fireboard/CB), but leading to B...

B) able to use still use Kununa profile (not CB), and still be able to upload an avatar somehow.

So I'm not sure why you would move my post to the off topic department, but it appears you misunderstood what I'm trying to do.

CB has avatar moderating BTY... but in reality, many clients don't mind policing it themselves in excahange for the benefits of better user participation (the easier for them to upload a pic, the more pics there will be...the more of a personal/community vibe you will create)

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #5 by sozzled
Those are questions that are more properly addressed by JomSocial or Community Builder support. The simple truth is that Kunena does not have a registration function. See the sticky topics in this category and read the FAQs page How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?

The reason for the topic split is explained here: K 1.7.1 [BUG] reCAPTCHA causes topic split . I have merged the topics back together again.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 3 months ago #6 by unleash.it
Hi Sozzled,

Because of the way Joomla is set up (read: inflexible user registration, trust me I'm not a newbie), I realize that Kunena doesn't have a way to easily change reg unless it wanted to override it with plugins.

But Kunena does support integration. It's this integration that I am asking for a little help with. I think my question actually is much more appropriate to the Kunena camp than the others. In any case, WHOEVER is willing to help me is who gets my sublime thanks...

I find it difficult to believe that many others don't wish to be able to upload avatars on reg. It's way more user friendly, esp. for non-techy crowd who may never even visit their own profile, or if they do it's not all that user friendly (suggestion for Kununa: I would think by clicking on your avatar would bring up an upload box... but THAT may be getting a little off topic).

Sozzled, if you don't know for sure does anyone else know if there is a combination of prefs or other way to:

Have CB take over registration, use CB avatars. YES! I've done it, and this works fine.

But with this combo there's no way for users to upload an avatar after the fact rendering it pretty much useless. So, it would be great if it were also possible to still allow avatar maintenance in the Kununa profile.

More
12 years 3 months ago #7 by sozzled

unleash.it wrote: Because of the way Joomla is set up (read: inflexible user registration, trust me I'm not a newbie)

Yes, I agree with you that Joomla's basic registration process leaves a lot to be desired.

unleash.it wrote: I realize that Kunena doesn't have a way to easily change reg unless it wanted to override it with plugins.

That's true.

unleash.it wrote: [It] would be great if it were also possible to still allow avatar maintenance in the Kununa profile [at site registration time].

As I wrote earlier, Kunena does not have a registration procedure. If you read the FAQs page (and the sticky topics in this category, and the advice we have written tirelessly over the past three years) Kunena uses whatever you use for site registration and that's the way things currently stand. As you say, if someone is prepared to write the necessary inclusion for Kunena to perform user registration, they may have more than just your thanks. But, it hasn't happened yet and there are no current plans to implement this addition as part of the Kunena project in the short-term.

As a longer term matter, the project team is considering the possibility of improving Kunena profile management features (either as a core component or as an optional add-on) but some of these extensions will probably have to wait until K 3.0 or afterwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: unleash.it

More
12 years 3 months ago #8 by unleash.it
Yes I read that, but somehow I think you're still not listening to what my question actually is :woohoo:

But you're cool, you are trying to help and I thank you.

I've actually went through the trouble of adding 10 zillion lines of code to this site (installing CB), for the sole purpose of being able to adding an avatar upload to the registration (the client wants it). Kununa supports this, in fact IT USES JOM SOCIAL to achieve this very thing on this site. But is there a way if you choose CB in the Integration tab for reg AND Kununa for profiles (all in Kunena prefs), to give the user a way to edit/upload an avatar at some later date after they register?

Perhaps not, or you don't know? I think this is a Kununa question?

Thanks!

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9 by sozzled
The Kunena integration options (to use avatars, user profiles or other features of third-party Joomla extensions) are located on Forum Configuration » Integration. That's all there is.

How Community Builder uses those things is a matter for asking at Joomlapolis . I've answered to the extent of my knowledge. I'm not aware of any "avatar selection on registration" with Community Builder but, I must confess, I haven't looked into this area for my own site needs.

unleash.it wrote:

There is no way for a user to upload their avatar at a later time if they didn't do it during registration (because the avatar tab is now missing from the Kunena).

:huh: I'm puzzled by this. I've not seen that occur before. Users manage their profiles (including avatar images) with a CB user profile facility (unless you've removed the feature). It's all discussed in the CB installation guide.

[strike]For your sake, I will move this topic to our Community Builder category but, as I said from the outset, [/strike] site registration is a Joomla business (assisted by third-party extensions, perhaps) and the Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla is where those Joomla issues are usually discussed.

I'm sorry but that's really as much as I can tell you.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: unleash.it

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #10 by unleash.it

I'm puzzled by this. I've not seen that occur before. Users manage their profiles (including avatar images) with a CB user profile facility (unless you've removed the feature). It's all discussed in the CB installation guide.

Ah huh. That's where we're getting confused. You think that I'm having CB manage the profile. In my first post I mentioned that I don't want to use CB profiles, I'd rather use Kunena. The settings I have chosen (Kunena settings) are "use CB for registration" and "use kunena for profiles". With this combo, I have found no way to allow users to upload their avatars after registration. That's really my question, which I'm now pretty much assuming can't happen. I do understand what Kunena manages vs. Community Builder vs. Joomla, and I still think this is a Kunena matter.

I'm not aware of any "avatar selection on registration" with Community Builder but, I must confess, I haven't looked into this area for my own site needs.

No worries. If you want to check it out here's a link. See the drop down next to avatar... www.jasongallagher.org/component/comprofiler/registers.html (sorry the last time I posted it was broken). Also when you register to this site.

Anyways, thanks again. If someone else has experience with these particular Kunena settings I'd appreciate any help. Otherwise I'm now assuming I can't get it done unless I want to spend 10 hours skinning/hacking CB to make a user friendly profile page... (Kunena's is much cleaner).
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by unleash.it.

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds