Kunena 6.2.4 Released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.4 [K 6.2.4] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Please note: The Kunena project team takes NO responsibility for maintaining nor supporting anything in this category.

Question BPK - Blurred Posts For Kunena - Free Kunena Plugin for Joomla!

More
5 years 7 months ago #1 by Kubik-Rubik
Hey Kunena Community,

I've just published a new free plugin for Kunena: BPK - Blurred Posts For Kunena

With this plugin all posts (except the first one) in the Kunena forum are blurred and made illegible for guests. The text of each posting is replaced with random characters and a blur filter is placed with the help of CSS over it. Once the user is logged-in, the effect is not applied and the posts are visible as usual.

The purpose of the plugin is to show interested visitors that the request was already processed (e.g. question in a support forum) and to encourage them to activate an account or paid subscription to make the answers visible.

I've also added the inline noindex tag from Google to the random text so that this part will not be indexed by the search engine.

Tested only with the latest available versions (Kunena 5.1.2 and Joomla! 3.8.10). Do not install in Joomla! < 3.8.x and Kunena < 5.1 (though could also work with a lower Kunena version)!

This version is quite simple without any settings, please provide feedback and suggestions for further improvements.

Download: joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.de/downloa...-for-kunena/joomla-3

Have success with Kunena!

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: xillibit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2 by clippy3
What a fantastic idea, I may trial that as I do find if people can just read the content they tend not to become part of the comminuty.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3 by clippy3
I have it running now (installed like a dream and operates fine), I have a quick question ....

" The text of each posting is replaced with random characters" How will this affect SEO? If there were no random character applied then would SEO remain normal (i.e. google cant see the applied filter so SEO remain as per normal unfiltered text).
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by clippy3.

More
5 years 2 months ago #4 by Kubik-Rubik
Hey clipp3,

thanks for testing it!

This is a good question and it is already solved in the plugin. The plugin uses the googleoff / googleon tags ( support.google.com/gsa/answer/6329153?hl=en#82542 ) to tell Google not to index the random text:

You cannot leave the original text and only hide it using CSS or JavaScript. The text must be removed (or manipulated like it is done here) on the server before it is sent to the client.

What I could do to further mitigate this issue is to cut the text completely after 3-4 lines so that not too much garbage text is added to the page. :-)

Have success!

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds