SiteGround becomes a partner of Kunena
Choosing a website hosting provider can be a difficult task. At Kunena we often are asked about website hosting, who we would recommend, and reasons why. Today we are excited to announce a partnership with SiteGround. SiteGround is a Joomla hosting company, whose focus is speed, security and support.
Those three key focus areas are why we found a natural partnership together. We know that Kunena customers would find great value in working with SiteGround hosting. They are committed to top-notch service and support. After researching hosting providers, SiteGround stands out as one of the best. We dig SiteGround because our products work wonderfully on their hosting platform, because they are dedicated to providing great product support, and because they are an affordable hosting option.
Kunena 4.0.6 Released
The Kunena team wishes to advise that Kunena 4.0.6 [K 4.0.6] is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 2.5.28 and J! 3.4.x. This version is a maintaince release, This Version has fixed 24 issues since the last release. Because of new languages added, when updating languages packages, make sure you have set more then 5M set on the php.ini post_max_size = 5M
The summary of important changes in K 4.0.6 are:
- new feature (hmvc templates): Improve TopicIcons. (Setting: edit template) You have now the possibility to use Default icons, Bootstrap 2/3 and Fontawesome icons
- Crypsis : Moderate - It lacks the checkbox on "Move selected message and all xx messages posted after it" #3358
- Crypsis B3 - poll options are missing.. #3357
- Crypsis: unordered and ordered list not working as expected #3372
- Crypsis : Several tooltips missing in the editor #3373
- Warning: imagecolorsforindex(): Color index 255 out of range #3376
- Blue Eagle: Remove profile class on edit profile button. #3377
- Crypsis B3 - icons missing #3381
- Fix error on default.js #3386
- Crypsis: Seo improvement #3388
- Crypsis : Wrong code tags #3389
- Crypsis B3 - Editor Preview #3393
- Moderators get a error in the email when setting = E-mail Moderators: All New Posts #3403
- Fix select icon on changing category #3408
- Crypsisb3: Allow update #3410
- Language: New standard joomla and remove duplicated strings #3413
- kcodetype typos #3416
- Crypsis : It lacks the topic title at the first messages #3433
- Template Manager : You can't install templates #3165
- Wrong path for attachments image in backend files manager #3447
- Article image (KunenaDiscuss) to large on forum #3453
- Blue eagle: Fix css issues #3454
- Need to pass files as raw to be avoid to be filtered and cause null #3455
- File upload result in COM_KUNENA_UPLOAD_ERROR_FILE_EXCEED_LIMIT_IN_CONFIGURATION #3456
Update about upcoming changes
What's upcoming on the next big version: Kunena 5.0?
Because of the substantial changes that this new version introduces (compared with K 4.0), We will tell you what you can expect on the new version.
Upgrading to K 5.0 involves changes that may affect Kunena's interoperability with other extensions installed on your site. For this reason it is advisable that you first test K 5.0 on a test site before you upgrade your live production site(s). At this stage the team is not treating interoperability with other Joomla extensions as the topmost priority. The main priority at this time is about installation/upgrade and operability as a standalone Joomla component.
I am not sure if the team is "getting their groove". I have written a couple of articles in my blog about some of these recent changes and announcements.
Josh wrote: And now you are telling me that more is to come. Seems like the Kunena team is getting their groove on these days.
I am very pleased about this. And now you are telling me that more is to come. Seems like the Kunena team is getting their groove on these days.
We waited for two weeks for the official response. I will try to explain what the autosubscription feature is about.
Josh wrote: I'm curious about the "Autosubscription" feature. I read through this entire thread and am still trying to better understand it. Is it a profile setting that allows the user to decide if they want to be automatically subscribed to threads? (phpBB has this feature as well as other forum softwares). This determines if the checkbox is checked or not by default based on a profile preference. Users then are not "forced" to check or uncheck it each time they post in the forums.
Or perhaps this means something else?
Yes, you are right, that phpBB has a setting that controls the behaviour of a checkbox that appears when people create a topic (or post a reply to a topic); the checkbox will automatically be checked or unchecked depending on this setting. This behaviour is also implemented in Kunena.
Until K 4.0 was released, the behaviour was controlled differently. We discussed this change in these topics
USER SETTING AUTO SUBSCRIBE THREAD ;
Please disable "Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic" at www.kunena.org ;
Kunena 4.05 bug (Subscriptions) ; and
K 4.0.3 Crypsis "automatically" subscribes to topic; Blue Eagle does not
The reference to "autosubscriptions" in the article Update about upcoming changes is about a new feature for K 5.0 that will force all users to be subscribed to topics on the forum. So, in answer to your question "perhaps this means something else" and because the developers have not replied to your question for two weeks, I can only offer my personal opinion. I believe the answer to your question is yes; it means something else.
Or perhaps this means something else?
According to the approved plan adopted by the Joomla Production Leadership Team (see Section 6.4 Minimum Technical Requirements),
xillibit wrote:We are going to have minimum as Php 5.5 but we haven't said that it will be in Kunena 5.0, we are following developpement of Joomla! 3.5 and if the technical requiements change with this version, Kunena will change too else it will not change. So the mimimun of Php 5.5 could be in Kunena 5.1, or 5.2....
ShockPuppet wrote: thank You Kunena Team for all your hard work.
Why the change to minimum PHP 5.5 ?
The minimum technical requirements, such as PHP version, database version, etc., can only be increased for the first release of a new major version.
This, therefore, means that the increase in the minimum technical requirements for Joomla are not envisaged before J! 4.0.0 whenever that may occur.
I overlooked the point made by ShockPuppet earlier (good point, by the way). What happens if a users has another Joomla extension that will not operate on PHP 5.5?
I really think this matter needs to be seriously reconsidered. In my (very) humble opinion, Joomla should be the driving factor for extension developments. We know that some parts of Kunena have not worked with older versions of Joomla in the past (and it's been a pain having to wait for Joomla to release something that will address those concerns) but that's the way of the Joomlaverse. I understand that some extension developers are unhappy with the speed that Joomla is playing catch-up; again, that's just a fairly common criticism among Joomla extension developers (just have a read of some of the material that Nicholas Dionysopoulos—the author of Akeeba Backup—writes!).
But getting back to the issue, I am a little surprised that the Joomla team seems to be ignoring the community's concerns. As I suggested earlier , it might be an idea to gauge community's opinions with a quick survey.
Kunena 4.0.5 Released
The Kunena team wishes to advise that Kunena 4.0.5 [K 4.0.5] is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 2.5.28 and J! 3.4.x. This version is a maintaince release, this version fixed 2 fatal errors on K4.0.4 issues.
The summary of important changes in K 4.0.5 are:
- Crypsis : To write is a problem with Preview. It loads the complete post for each letter. #3229
- Blue eagle: improve responsive
- Crypsis: add whoisonline and stats on topics
- File attachment problem when use special characters (Ñ...)
- Subscribe's box is always enabled #3303
- Breadcrumbs: Improve SEO
- COM_KUNENA_POST_ATTACHMENTS_NOT_ALLOWED #3299
- Display catpcha for crypsis on quick reply for Joomla! 3.4+
- Crypsis : It's not possible to upload attachments #3314
- AUP not working on hmvc. #3309
- Crypsis : Wrong avatars in the menu item Recent Posts #3307
- Hide image for guests - Hint does not appear #3254
- Images not showing in RSS feed #3328
- Crypsis : CSS Class Suffix - the color is not displayed
- Crypsis: Edit poll is not possible (it missing the poll symbol in the editor) #3332
- Max Links in message will divided by three if you insert a image …
- Open attachments files into new browser windows like for Kunena 3.0.8
- Blue eagle: Add colorpicker on edit template
- Crypsis: Too many poll options overlap the add button #3331
- Jomsocial: Wrong avatar when user is deleted
- Many improvements on CrypsisB3