Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question quote function

More
3 years 3 months ago #1 by xreliable
quote function was created by xreliable
the new quote functionality is really clunky and confusing the heck (PG version) out of my users.  quoted replies are getting mixed into the quoted message.  is there any way to get back to the previous method or if not we'll need to completely remove quoting as an option since it is hosing threads and confusing members.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #2 by fiat4x4.gr
Replied by fiat4x4.gr on topic quote function

xreliable wrote: the new quote functionality is really clunky and confusing the heck (PG version) out of my users.  quoted replies are getting mixed into the quoted message.  is there any way to get back to the previous method or if not we'll need to completely remove quoting as an option since it is hosing threads and confusing members.

I dont think that is so dificult. But sure is very different than previous.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #3 by rich
Replied by rich on topic quote function
If you click on the red symbol the cursor will placed either above or below the quoted text.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by rich.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #4 by xreliable
Replied by xreliable on topic quote function
It's not so difficult but those kind of assumptions creation poor UI/UX and I'm experiencing the result. Assuming that users will intuitively know to click on the red symbol is a big leap. The world is a big and diverse place. Not everyone is as smart, capable or quick on the uptake as you. Also from my own testing in firefox the red symbol does not instantly appear. Assuming the user will wait for something is also another dangerous assumption. So here, the user clicks into the field which clicks into the quoted text.  THEY HAVE TO DO THIS BEFORE the red icon appears.  So right away setup for problems because the cursor is already in the quoted text before the red icon appears.  In addition, there is an additional step here.  And the assumption that the user will know or care to be bothered with doing the next step.  The result is they post their response into the quoted text.  Which creates unreadable threads.
The world/Internet is full of different types of people accessing from different types of devices. Case: octogenarian internet user. Anything new is a problem. Case 2, visually impaired user, small symbols always a problem. Case 3, can't be bothered, infinitesimal attention span teen. Anything that slows down communication is a problem and they will just move on. Case 4, small screen (fat fingers) user. Clicking small symbols, always a problem.... etc.
Also you should note that the red cursor will also appear within the quoted text, not just above/below. This is another messy ux issue.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by xreliable.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5 by xreliable
this is a comment I just now received from a user:

the quote function made me seasick

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #6 by rich
Yes, I understand the problem when there is something new. But there will always be changes, otherwise we would have still Kunena 1.5 now.
The BBCode Editor is not contemporary, so it has been replaced.
The CKEditor is not a development by us, but we have adapted it as much as possible to our needs and of course, we are happy to accept suggestions if many users want to it.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by rich.

More
3 years 3 months ago #7 by xreliable
I've been administrating forums since Compuserve and participating since I had a dial up modem logging into local bbs. So I'm familiar with change and welcome it when it is an improvement. But not all change is good. I'm giving you user feedback direct from source. The last thing that I want is to get you entrenched defending things that I believe are problematic. The issues here are not simply about change. There is some added complexity and issues that defies good ux principles. Point taken re: ckeditor. But honestly does not look contemporary to me. Wastes a lot of real estate and the default styling looks 20 years old.

More
3 years 3 months ago #8 by rich
I'm not defending anything, I don't care which editor or what changes are made to it. And yes, you are right, the option with the red line isn't' optimal.
It would be better if the cursor is automatically placed after the quoted text or you can do it itself without the red symbol.
I will ask the developers how we should change this option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xreliable, Charles

More
3 years 3 months ago #9 by btc
Replied by btc on topic quote function
I'm going to hold off updating to K5.2 because of this. All it needs is for the cursor to be placed below the quoted text and it would be fine, an improvement on the old functionality, but as it is I think it's completely unacceptable.

More
3 years 3 months ago #10 by xreliable
would it be possible to disable the quote function completely until there is an update or fix?  Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds