Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

The error code HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is a general-purpose message this indicates a general error in a web application. Please note that there is no general solution for this general error. You should first read HTTP 500 Internal Server Error before posting in this category.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question URL Rewriting Setting turns off my Kunena forum in the front end

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #1 by Martin-123
Hello,

I've installed Kunena 3.0.4 in a Joomla 3.2.1 test site, as detailed in config report, below.
I've carefully followed the SEO optimisation instructions from here
My problem seems to be that when I set "Use URL rewriting" to "Yes" and click the the forum menu item in the front end, I get this messaage:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

... when I set "Use URL rewriting" to "No" the front end returns to the forum as normal. Should I contact the server administrator, as suggested?

Many thanks for any assistance.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 50000 seconds | Max execution memory: 90M | Max file upload: 40M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : protostar | author: Kyle Ledbetter | version: 1.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.4 | creationdate: 2013-12-22

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.4 | 2013-12-22 [ Ukko ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Martin-123.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
Have you tried to rename the J! 3.2.1 htaccess.txt to .htaccess and use that file?

More
10 years 2 months ago #3 by Martin-123
Hi Sozzled,

Thanks for your reply.

I have renamed the file, yes. However, I don't understand what you mean by 'use it'. The instructions say rename it, so that's all I've done.

More
10 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
As long as you followed the instructions in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) then K 3.0.4 should work with no problems (at least, this is how I have set up hundreds of websites in the past and I have never had this kind of problem).

I cannot see anything else from your Kunena configuration report that indicates why you cannot use Joomla's User URL rewriting option with your website unless, perhaps, you are using a third-party SEO "optimiser" product that we're unaware of. :unsure:

One possible suggestion you might consider is the When all else fails, try this approach to prove that the problems you're having are not caused by your webhosting platform. From the looks of your site, it looks to me that you have a "vanilla-flavoured" Joomla website to begin with.

99% of these kinds of problems are not caused by Kunena but they're caused by the way that people setup Joomla. The Joomla forum has hundreds of topics about how to use Joomla's SEO features. While this may not necessarily be a Kunena problem, the more we know about how you setup Joomla, the better that someone in the community may be able to help you. Pictures of your global settings may provide us with a clue or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin-123

More
10 years 2 months ago #5 by Martin-123

As long as you followed the instructions

... to the letter.

perhaps, you are using a third-party SEO "optimiser" product

... no, I'm not.

it looks to me that you have a "vanilla-flavoured" Joomla website

... Yes. It's a test site and I've done nothing but install Joomla and Kunena.

I've also installed joomla using my host's 'click & build' feature, and by uploading the latest version of the zip file. I've done the same with Kunena, i.e. I've used the web-install feature within Joomla and used the 'upload package file' installer. All combinations produce a problem. either the one described above or Kunena simply doesn't show up at all in the front end (even though the 'forum' menu item in Joomla is published).

Thank you for your help, Sozzled.

I hope these attachments work... (PDFs?)

File Attachment:

File Name: GlobalConfig1.pdf
File Size:161 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: GlobalConfig2.pdf
File Size:117 KB
Attachments:

More
10 years 2 months ago #6 by Martin-123
Could it be anything to do with permissions?

More
10 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled
Your problems could be caused by any number of things. Your Joomla "one-click" install could have been faulty; file permissions (somewhere) could be incorrect; your Joomla menus might be a completely tangled. I really cannot say.

One thing that I can say, with absolute certainty, is that the URL for your forum is oddly-formed. There should not be any "index.php" in the URL if you are using standard Joomla SEF URLs. You do not see any "index.php" in the URL at this site, do you?

I am looking to see why it is that I never have a problem with Joomla SEO and so many other people do have problems with it. I will post again later on this subject whenI have made some discoveries. Maybe I'm just lucky that I have never had a problem with Joomla SEF URLs in the 300+ Joomla sites I have worked on? (I don't think it's luck, of course; it's all about how one goes about building a Joomla website right from the word "go".). I distrust those one-click Joomla install scripts and I never use them. Maybe there's something in that approach?

More
10 years 2 months ago #8 by Martin-123
Appreciating all your assistance, Sozzled.

Taking your points in reverse order;

My background as a safety electronics engineer taught me to build good foundations and then add components, testing as you go, so I'm with you on the approach, and that is what I've done. This problem, though, is in the foundations.

I'll take your advice on the one-click install features. Do you also distrust the Joomla web-installer in the Extension Manager?

I look forward to your post when you've done your research. If you remember, could you flag it up for me please?

You do not see any "index.php" in the URL at this site, do you?

No, I don't, and I don't see it on my site either. Where do you see that???

your Joomla menus might be a completely tangled

I'll download the latest Joomla zip file again from the joomla site and start again from the beginning (for the umpteenth time!).

Thanks again.

More
10 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled

Martin-123 wrote: I'll take your advice on the one-click install features.

My approach - call it "folklore" if you like - is to install Joomla in the time-honoured "traditional" manner. This means that you take the original Joomla distribution kit, download it to your PC, extract the .ZIP file and then FTP the files thus extracted to your webserver. This means you should also use your cPanel (or other tools provided by your webhost provider) to create the required SQL database, create a SQL username and give that username all privilges necessary to add/update/delete tables. Then it's a straightforward case - or it should be straightforward - to run the initial Joomla installation procedure.

As far as file/folder permissions are concerned, see Securing Kunena .

After doing that, implement Joomla's SEO as we've talked about before making sure that you've got the [renamed] htaccess.txt file located in the site root folder.

Martin-123 wrote: Do you also distrust the Joomla web-installer in the Extension Manager?

I use the standard Kunena installation procedure described in K 3.0 Installation Guide (watch the video, too).

Martin-123 wrote: sozzled wrote:

You do not see any "index.php" in the URL at this site, do you?

No, I don't, and I don't see it on my site either. Where do you see that???

I see the URL in the browser address when I click the "Forum" menu item on your site. In your case it looks like this:

http://<your-domain-name}/index.php/forum

Strange, isn't it?

A "nicely-formed" Kunena URL should look like this:

http://<your-domain-name}/forum

More
10 years 2 months ago #10 by Martin-123

install Joomla in the time-honoured "traditional" manner

Right. That's what I'll do from now on. In fact I'll adopt every procedure and piece of advice from this post. Many thanks, Sozzled. I really appreciate it.

I see the URL in the browser address when I click the "Forum" menu item on your site

How did I miss that? Ok, I'll watch out for that when I re-install.

Martin

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds