Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Kunena Groups Plugin Issues

More
12 years 2 months ago #1 by Beccam
Hi - I have the following issues with the Kunena groups plugin. Can you tell me how and if these can be resolved?

1. Group creation requires a description. The forum it creates for the group takes the full description used. This means that if someone puts in a description that is 5 paragraphs long, you will end up with a forum section title and description that long.

2. The description is for some reason wrapped in HTML tags. Even if I go back in and edit the HTML and remove the tags they remain on the forum.

3. Creating a new discussion in Kunena does not create a new thread in the forum, and vice versa.

Not issues but feature inquiries:

Is it possible to allow group admins to create additional forum categories under the forum section? For example, the top level category is Groups, then someone creates GroupA and Group A is added as a section under that category. Can GroupA moderator add additional sections such as GroupA general chat, GroupA Events, etc?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
I don't necessarily think that your question (about category descriptions) relates to JomSocial but I could be wrong. I could be wrong because I don't know how JomSocial works and how JomSocial may (or may not) create Kunena categories. Does JomSocial create Kunena categories? What are you using to create and administer Kunena categories?

Kunena category descriptions are edited, modified, etc., with the Kunena Category Manager. You can use BBcode in category descriptions. You cannot use HTML in category descriptions. I don't know how HTML found its way into your category descriptions. Please read Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1)

Beccam wrote:

1. Group creation requires a description. The forum it creates for the group takes the full description used. This means that if someone puts in a description that is 5 paragraphs long, you will end up with a forum section title and description that long.

Yes, that all makes sense to me.

Beccam wrote:

2. The description is for some reason wrapped in HTML tags. Even if I go back in and edit the HTML and remove the tags they remain on the forum.

See what I wrote earlier. You cannot use HTML; you can only use BBcode. This is stated in Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1)

Beccam wrote:

3. Creating a new discussion in Kunena does not create a new thread in the forum, and vice versa.

I don't understand this. Kunena is the forum. Perhaps it's just that you're using the word "forum" in a different way? Maybe you mean category?

Beccam wrote:

Is it possible to allow group admins to create additional forum categories under the forum section? For example, the top level category is Groups, then someone creates GroupA and Group A is added as a section under that category. Can GroupA moderator add additional sections such as GroupA general chat, GroupA Events, etc?

Slightly different question. Please read How to assign a moderator in Kunena?
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #3 by Beccam
First please allow me to clarify the terminology I am using, using an example of these forums
By "Forums" I mean, the forums as a whole - kunena.org/forum
By Category, I am referring to the area that houses various sections. For example, the category for this would be "Kunena User Contributions and Third Party Options"
By "Section" I mean a section of that category - it's more spread out in the one I am viewing/replying to so I'll use "Translations" as an example.
By "Thread" I mean all the various topics created under that "Section" - I'll use what I created and am conversing with you in as an example of a thread.

I may be misunderstanding the plugin. I downloaded the Kunena Groups Jomsocial plugin which (I believe is supposed to) automatically create a forum Section named for the Jomsocial Group created (under a Category you specified in the plugin options) and the Section will have that groups name, and automatically be viewable and accessible by all members of that group.

It does this fine, with the exception of the description bugs. When you create the Group in Jomsocial it prompts you to add a description for that group. The plugin then creates a new Section in Kunena and applies the name and description from the Jomsocial Group (those are the threads you see in my screenshot) However, the plugin doesn't limit the description in anyway, so if someone posts a long description (which they are likely to do) it will all transfer over to Kunena - with the HTML tags for some reason.

The second part:

I also believed (perhaps mistakenly?) that this plugin would "sync" the Jomsocial Groups with the Section it just created in Kunena. So when someone creates a discussion in the Jomsocial group - a corresponding thread is then added to that groups Section in Kunena. Vice versa, when someone replies to the thread created - it updates the discussion in the Jomsocial group.

The syncing is not happening at all.

The other inquiry:

When the plugin creates a forum Section for the newly created Jomsocial group, it makes that Jomsocial groups creator, the Admin of that section. I was wondering if it would be possible to allow them to create more sections in that area - from the front end? Or is the only way to add sections/categories etc in the Joomla back-end?

Thanks!
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Beccam.

More
12 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
Category descriptions cannot have HTML. Category descriptions can only contain ordinary text or BBcode.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5 by Beccam
Thanks..but that is sort of what the issue is..the plugin is automatically adding HTML into it.

More
12 years 2 months ago #6 by Matias
Yes, unfortunately Kunena doesn't use HTML in the description, so it needs to be converted to bbcode in the backend. This will change in Kunena 2.0, which allows group administrator to manage his Kunena categories from Kunena itself. This is limitation in the JomSocial groups plugin, which was actually designed to Kunena 2.0 but backported later...

Kunena 2.0 also allows group administrators to create new categories under their main category. I still need to find a way to add option to Kunena to not to allow that. :)

The purpose is not to sync data between JomSocial and Kunena, but to create forums that obey JomSocial Group ACL. If you join the group, you will find a new category in Kunena. If you resign, the category will wanish.

I hope this answers all the questions.

More
12 years 2 months ago #7 by Beccam
Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here...but I am extremely confused about why the plugin would be specifically designed to take the description from the Jomosocial category and apply it to the Kunena description when the two apparently have known conflicts such as not accepting HTML. I mean, if the plugin creator was aware of these issues..then why not atleast add an option that says "dont automatically use Jomsocial group description" or something to that affect? Or, if this is completely unusable (which it is) at this point until Kunena 2.0...why is it even available for download here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PIC

More
12 years 2 months ago #8 by PIC
Replied by PIC on topic Re: Kunena Groups Plugin Issues
I have the same exact problem Beccam. I ended up just not using the group plugin because of this. It just auto pulls the description from the Jomsocial group description(which is html). Completely unusable. If it would simply ask for a forum description when creating the group(with no wysiwyg) then it wouldnt end up pulling html.

Another option is to use a plain text editor for your JS groups. But users like the editor and I think it's more important than having group forums(since JS has discussions already)

That said, hopefully we will get this feature soon.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9 by Matias
The feature was originally tested only without JomSocial editor, so we weren't aware that using another option would cause these issues. Actually this is the first time I have seen the issue with my own eyes.

The bug has now been reported in here:
github.com/Kunena/Kunena-1.6-Addons/issues/4

More
12 years 2 months ago #10 by Beccam
Thanks for submitting the bug. Unfortunately, even without the editor I would still have the issue of it porting over the entire group description - which is generally a few paragraphs in length.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds