Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved Changing from phpmailer to Joomla default

More
1 year 8 months ago #1 by rwillems
Hi there,

I run a website with quite a bit of traffic (over 200 subscriptions per forum category) and we are running into some issues with the following things. My assumption is as following. Kunena does not use the standard email settings from Joomla but uses a phpmailer that runs via the hosting server. This leads to the following challenges. 

Current site:
- Setup to run joomla emails via a paid gsuite subscription (SMTP connection)
- Hosting via a local party with a phpmailer protection against spam

1. The emails sent are not verified via DKIM/SPF due to our current setup, what can do I? Other then adding the SPF for the hosting provider
2. We reach out limit on sending emails via the hosting provider, is there any way we can NOT use the phpmailer but switch to a different authentication method?

Much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2 by rich
Depending on the Joomla settings, mails are sent either via SMTP as well as PHP mailer. The sending can be limited in the Kunena configuration (at Subscriptions).
Quote from the backend:
"If value > 1, send a single subscription e-mail to multiple recipients. Using relatively large value prevents your site from sending too many e-mails if your web host limits the amount of e-mails per second or per hour. Larger value also improves performance as less e-mails needs to be sent."

More
1 year 7 months ago #3 by rwillems
Hi Rich,
The option was already set to a 100. Our webhoster does put us in the spam and stops our emails from being sent. Somehow it is not using the Joomla default email settings (SMTP). Can you help me out please?

More
1 year 7 months ago #4 by xillibit
Hello,

Kunena uses the Joomla! settings to send the emails, some mail provider like Microsoft 365 can blocks the mailbox when if you sent more than a number of mails in the same time

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
1 year 7 months ago #5 by rwillems
Is there a way to check it? Our hosting provider states were using a phpmailer script however it's all set up to use a smtp service outside of our provider

More
1 year 7 months ago #6 by xillibit
The send() method from MailTemplate class from Joomla! which is used by Kunena github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/4.2-de...ailTemplate.php#L187 , send at the end the mail by by PhpMailer class. Then PhpMailer send to SMTP service defined in Joomla! configuration

More
1 year 7 months ago #7 by rwillems
That actually makes sense and after checking the code I cannot find anything odd there. Ill reach out to the hosting provider again why it's flagging something for spam when it should not be involved at all due to the SMTP service which is routed via a different service outside of the hosting provider.

More
1 year 7 months ago #8 by rwillems
Alright reached out to the hosting party. They can actually see the PHPmailer being used via their service thus blocking us. So why is it that Kunena does not use the SMTP service that is set up via the Joomla configuration? Can anyone maybe reach out 1 on 1 to help here?

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #9 by rwillems
Hmmm I cant seem to insert the email message that is actually received. There I see the hosting server is used via PHPMailer and not the Joomla setup?
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by rwillems.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #10 by xillibit

Alright reached out to the hosting party. They can actually see the PHPmailer being used via their service thus blocking us. So why is it that Kunena does not use the SMTP service that is set up via the Joomla configuration? Can anyone maybe reach out 1 on 1 to help here?

Like said previously Kunena uses Joomla! mail classes, then Joomla! mail classes uses PHPmailer to send the mail

Hmmm I cant seem to insert the email message that is actually received. There I see the hosting server is used via PHPMailer and not the Joomla setup?

The news users can't add attachments to their messages untill their reach the numbers of posts allowed, you can use the confidential tag

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by xillibit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rwillems

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds