Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question After log off no new posts

More
11 years 8 months ago #1 by alsthom
Hi!
This is the most important issue that I am facing with kunena 2.0.1.

Let's say that a user login, read some new posts -not all of them-and then logout. When he returns back he misses the remaining new posts.
Also This happens when a user's session ends.

Is this happening to any of you? Please look at mhy settings and give me an advice.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 100M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : shadows_ii | author: ThemeKat | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: March 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.1 | creationdate: 2012-07-07

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.1 | 2012-07-07 [ Balozi ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.8

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #2 by Pinkeltje
Yes alsthom,
Just a week ago I received complaints from some moderators about the exact same issue. At first I couldn't reproduce it, but then a few days ago I disovered that a lot of posts of which I was sure I hadn't read or opened them weren't marked New.

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 300 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 32M

Kunena menu details:

Joomla default template details : joomlanl | author: Angie Radtke | version: 1.7.0 | creationdate: 25 November 2009

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.1 | creationdate: 2012-07-07

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.1 | 2012-07-07 [ Balozi ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: Jomsocial 2.6.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: JomSocial - My Kunena Forum Menu 2.0.1 | JomSocial - My Kunena Forum Posts 2.0.1 | JomSocial - Kunena Groups 2.0.1

Modules: Kunena Latest 2.0.1 | Kunena Stats 2.0.1 | Kunena Login 2.0.1 | Kunena Search 2.0.1

More
11 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic After log off no new posts
In part this is related to Joomla (and requires some changes to Joomla) and, in part, this relates to Kunena (and requires some changes to Kunena). There is an issue on GitHub that relates, in part, to these experiences: see github.com/Kunena/Kunena-2.0/issues/971

More
11 years 8 months ago #4 by rjdevries
Sozzled, it seems like you are familiar with this problem. Can you be more precise on what needs to be changed in Joomla and Kunena? In other words, what is going wrong.

If you need some more information from Pinkeltje or me, let us know. We will be more than happy to help you find the appropriate solution for this disruptive issue.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #5 by sozzled
As I'm not the world's foremost expert on Joomla session management, this is difficult for me to answer and put my feet well and truly in "it". I am relaying to you what the development team have conveyed to me.

In effect, the development team have said to me, "we're aware of the problem and wouldn't it be great if we could rewrite Joomla and then we wouldn't have these problems." That's kind of like poking the Joomlashpere in the toe with a thumbtack instead of doing major surgery on the problem but, if you understand the analogy I'm using, you'll begin to see why this is "tricky".

With a very small number of developers wrestling with a sizeable workload of issues that have been reported (see github.com/Kunena/Kunena-2.0/issues ) I think you'll get the picture. Combining these activities with other work that we're currently engaged with, time to resolve these matters is not a commodity that we have in abundance, either.

In short, the NEW indicator is driven by two factors: (1) Joomla sessions and (2) Kunena sessions. I understand that the Kunena team is looking at ways of addressing this matter but, as far as what technical solution they have in mind, I am as clueless as to the details.

We welcome anyone - with the appropriate skill and understanding of Joomla, PHP programming, working in a collaborative software development environment like GitHub, a knowledge of SQL and Kunena, specifically - to join the development team. For those who do not possess those skills, people can support the project in a variety of other ways. My involvement in the project is, primarily, forum moderation and "public relations" and I try my best to give help where I can.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 8 months ago #6 by Pinkeltje

and I try my best to give help where I can.

Which you are definitely doing! And so is the rest of your team!
I don't have enough skills to help, but what I discovered is, that when you stay logged in (using remember me) everything works as expected.

More
11 years 8 months ago #7 by alsthom
Replied by alsthom on topic After log off no new posts
@Pinkeltje what do you mean?
If I understand correct, you mean;
-Login to forum, using remember me.
-See the new posts
-Read some of them
and then? What do you do when you want to log out? Press the x button for the forum page to close, or press the log out button?

And when you return? You just log in becouse the forum "remembers" you?
That's it? Am I correct?

More
11 years 8 months ago #8 by Pinkeltje
@alsthom,

and then? What do you do when you want to log out? Press the x button for the forum page to close, or press the log out button?

I don't log-out. Just close my browser window, or indeed press the x button.

The only thing that happens then is that my fellow mods think I am still logged in, as Joomla then remembers me as logged in as long as my session lasts. But for me at least the NEW is still visible when I return to the forum.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled

Pinkeltje wrote: I don't log-out. Just close my browser window, or indeed press the x button.

This changes the whole perspective. Reading the topic subject "After log off ..." but, if you don't actually log off.

What we need to look at, in this case, is how you've defined the Joomla session time and the Kunena session time. This will probably explain why everyone thinks your online and it may also explain why the "new" indicator is behaving bizarrely. Equipped with these two pieces of information we may be able to see what's going on behind-the-scenes.

What are your settings for
  • Global Configuration » Server » Cache Settings » Cache
  • Global Configuration » Server » Session Settings » Session Lifetime
  • Forum Configuration » General » Basic Settings » Session Lifetime
Turn off server caching and make Global Configuration session lifefime (in minutes) the same as Kunena session lifetime (in seconds). If Kunena session lifetime is 1800 seconds, make Global sessions lifetime = 30 minutes.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsthom

More
11 years 8 months ago #10 by alsthom
Replied by alsthom on topic After log off no new posts
Thanx @sozzled.
I checked mine settings and I realized that I had set global sessions lifetime to 15 minutes. Kunena's session lifetime is 1800. So I changed my global session time to much with kunena's lifetime.

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds