Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Question Display "Reply" or "Create Topic" buttons before a person has logged-in

More
11 years 5 months ago #1 by ktbgreat3
Hi again :)

Im wondering if there is a way of showing the "Reply" or "make post" buttons before the person has logged in? Personally when I want to reply to a topic in a forum, I always look for those buttons first, then Im prompted to register... It hardly occurs to me to go register before Ive seen the buttons.

So yeh, can I see those buttons, while not being logged in, or registered?

Thanks
Katie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #2 by modernmagic
You can title your login module or a menu item: "Make Post".

We focus on creating, managing and optimizing Joomla websites so you can focus on your own business
modernmagic.com

More
11 years 5 months ago #3 by ktbgreat3
Oh thats cool, but still not really the best. I have honestly thought of using different forums just because of this one feature missing.

Is it really not possible to have those buttons showing, even if they just prompt a login/register?

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled

ktbgreat3 wrote: I have honestly thought of using different forums just because of this one feature missing.

May I ask you, in all honesty here, how long did it take you to figurre out that you needed to register and login to the forum at this website ( www.kunena.org ) and how much prompting was required on our part to require you to do this in order for you to view these "missing" buttons?
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago #5 by ktbgreat3
Well, I guess its just the way my mind works, which may be right or wrong! Im also thinking of what my visitors will be looking for too.

Personally I always go looking for the reply button under the comments, and when its not there I start to loose interest..my mind just doesnt straight away go to think.."Oh I must have to register"... also if Ive never seen this forum before how do I know that the buttons will automatically appear once Ive registered...I just think I cant see the button somewhere and I go ..bugger this!!

I love forums, and I guess its just what Im used to. I find this new "register first" thing sorta out of the norm. I love your work, I just think this could be an added benifit :)

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6 by sozzled
There's no right or wrong answer, it's just different strokes for different folks.

Although you did not answer my question before (and my guess is that it must have taken you only a short time to realise that you need to register and login to the forum when you see the message "The administrator has disabled public write access" - but maybe it would be better to change this message?) I think we can agree that Kunena is not all that difficult for ordinary folk to use with a bit of common sense/educated guesswork.

In my experience - which evidently differs from yours - I have not often seen a Reply button displayed unless I was logged-in. An example of this kind of forum is forum.joomla.org

Some forums do have the "feature" where pressing a button - one that is clearly labelled "Reply" - actually sends you off to a page that says "I know you pressed a button thinking you were able to contribute to this forum but you haven't logged in, yet, and the buttons won't work until you've logged-in first and that's why you're on this page." Yes, some forums work like that. Kunena doesn't work like that. Instead of displaying a button that cannot work as labelled (because the person using the forum has not satisfied certain conditions), the button is not displayed.

We could extend this line of reasoning to other buttons, too, such as Delete or Delete topic or Subscribe or all manner of other functions that require someone to be logged-in.

Returning to your question: as disappointing as this may be, there are only three ways that the Reply button is displayed on in Kunena:

(1) If you are logged-in; or
(2) If your forum allows guest posting; and
(3) The topic or category cannot be locked.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #7 by kmplr
Returning to your question: as disappointing as this may be, there are only three ways that the Reply button is displayed on in Kunena:

(1) If you are logged-in; or
(2) If your forum allows guest posting; and
(3) The topic or category cannot be locked.

I have seen, so many KUNENA Powered forum provide the features i.e. REPLY, QUOTE, REPLY TOPIC, NEW TOPIC to guest user. As we click on the any button they prompted for Login message/ Page.
For example visit www.smartaddons.com/forum/12-general-que...egory-images-problem

I dont know how they do this. Looking for help
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by kmplr.

More
11 years 5 months ago #8 by TKtemp
Hi kmpir,

this hack was added in Kunena 1.6 and it is already present in Kunena 1.7 but it mysteriously disappeared in Kunena 2.0.

There is no way to do this in Kunena 2.x without moving a lot of code from core files to template files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kmplr

More
11 years 5 months ago #9 by kmplr
Hi TKtemp
Thanks for the information. Its a big drawback of KUNENA

More
11 years 4 months ago #10 by ktbgreat3
Thats awesome TkTemp...I thought I had seen kunena forums with this feature too... It would be so cool if they added it to their next version. I even get annoyed having to scroll up to login instead of simply pressing "reply" right there under the topic... even now when I wanted to reply to this topic, I had to scroll all the way up.. its just annoying

Anyway, its great that there is a way of doing this, but I have just installed 1.7 on my site so that I can get these buttons before logging in, but unfortunately its not working with my SH404Sef... Is version 1.7 compatible with SH404Sef? If so could anybody give me a clue on how I can fix my site with 1.7?

Thanks
Katie

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds