Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Merged Adding new default Topic Icons and Category Icons

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #1 by GJSchaller
I plan on using the default Blue Eagle 2.0 theme, which works well with the "blend" feature and a touch of custom CSS for the Joomla template itself. Perfect solution - thank you folks!

However, I have a set of custom Topic Icons (Unanswered, Answered, Locked, Deleted, etc.) and Forum Icons (New, No New, No New Small, etc.) that I would like to use. I'd like to set them up so that they don't get overridden when an update to Kunena comes out, but hopefully without also needing to make a custom template (so that I get the benefits of any updates to the default template).

How would I set up these new default icons, so that they are used by Kunena, but are in their own folder? Where in the file structure do both sets go, and do I need to tell Kunena to use them, or will they appear by Default?

Thank you!

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
11 years 9 months ago #3 by Matias
I would backup the icons and look what happens. I would also try it first in a test site.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #4 by GJSchaller
Hi 810, that doesn't answer my question - I don't want to change the icons available in the editor, I want to change the basic, default ones for a topic (Plain, Locked, Sticky, Deleted, etc.), which are normally stored in:

/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/topicicons/system

NOT the User ones.

Also, I'd like to override the ones in:

/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/icons

In both cases, I'd like to do it without replacing the image files, or by using an XML file that will be overwritten on update - is this possible? Is there another location I can place the files, that will override the default location?

I do have a test site - I'm testing everything before I apply 2.0 to my live site. ;)

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by GJSchaller.

More
11 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled
It's rather difficult dealing with two subjects within a single topic:
  • Topic icons is one subject.
  • Category icons are a different subject.
As far as I know, the approach to K 2.0 category icons is the same as we've talked about before in K 1.7 (viz., Category icons

Topic icons, on the other hand, have always been a more problematical and, as far as I know, the approach to dealing with them in K 2.0 is different. As I understand, from reading Custom topics icons K 2.0 the approach should be fairly straightforward but, as I have little interest in creating customised much of anything for my own websites, I haven't actually experimented with the approach. As I also understand, someone has promised to write an article for the Wiki that explains the process. Oh, wait, I think that's number 24 on the my "top 10 items to write for the Wiki" list.

All joking aside, just remember that any files that you replace in the standard Kunena file locations, they will be overwritten when you upgrade to the next version of Kunena. In cases when you require custom changes to remain "forever", the only "self-maintaining" mechanism for achieving these things is to create your own templates. Regrettably, that too is another in my list of "top 10 items to write for the Wiki" but, fortunately, it's only number 8 on my list! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller

More
11 years 9 months ago #6 by GJSchaller
Thank you, Sozzled. I'm hoping there's an easier solution than "re-replace the files each time you upgrade," but am willing to wait a bit for the method / documentation to come around.

I was hoping there was an easier override than a full template, that I could share with everyone... looks like Template it is for now.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
11 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled

GJSchaller wrote: ... am willing to wait a bit for the method / documentation to come around.

... as an aside, this might be a fair-sized wait. :( :pinch:

More
11 years 9 months ago #8 by Matias
I think that all icons are searched from a few locations, so it's likely that such a feature already exists for you... It just hasn't been tested.

Try to create a new template where you only include template.xml file and the files you want to override. Then select it as default.

More
11 years 9 months ago #9 by GJSchaller
I'm getting errors upon generating the new template, I'll sumbit them to the Dev Team to work out the bugs. Once it's worked out, I'll post a "skeleton" template here for folks to work with.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
11 years 9 months ago #10 by Matias
Did you remember to modify template.xml (rename the template) and template.php (rename the class) files?

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds