Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Idea SPLIT Function / Option

More
14 years 2 months ago #1 by FreeThinker
it would be very nice and of extremely utility to introduce the SPLIT option / function in kunena

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:SPLIT Function / Option
FreeThinker wrote:

it would be very nice and of extremely utility to introduce the SPLIT option / function in kunena

Thanks

Yes it would be very nice if the split/merge function was reinstated in Kunena. :) If you search the forum you will see why this function was disabled and what are the developers' plans for it. ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #3 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re:SPLIT Function / Option
Hello,

The split function will come back in Kunena 1.6, the split function is very useful for moderation.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4 by FreeThinker
Thanks all (sozzled & xillbit) ;)

*will be awaiting for it :P

More
14 years 2 months ago #5 by freedomcoach
Can someone summarize what the split function does? Will it allow to break up a thread into more than one thread? Just a guess.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:SPLIT Function / Option
I can tell you what it is supposed to do - which is a different question to what you asked. It is supposed to be used to take a "child thread" and create a new topic (or "parent" thread) from it.

To answer this question we have to revisit the threaded vs. flat views of discussion forums. The threaded view displays the messages according to a logical flow of the discussion; the flat view simply lists the postings in chronological sequence.

Look at the following image. You will notice that the messages are not listed in strict chronological sequence. This is a "threaded" view:

Unfortunately for us, the "threaded" view doesn't exist in Kunena at the moment. Suppose, however, that we wanted to create a new discussion topic from the part of the discussion I've highlighted with the dotted box. That's what the split function is for. Pressing the split button would take the first of those posts (as well all the replies that descended from it) and create a new topic with it as the first message in it. Therefore, if you could use the split button now, you really have no certainty about what you're likely to create out of long, superficially disjointed, discussions ... especially if your users don't use the REPLY button as it was intended. :(

Because the threaded view caused problems in the past - it often had the effect of completely wrecking the whole forum - the developers decided that it was better to remove the option until the matter could be looked at later.

In summary, freedomcoach's guess is correct. :) Although you can have the threaded view without the split function, you can't have the split function without the threaded view.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 2 months ago #7 by freedomcoach
Great! This is fabulous and will be VERY useful. I was wondering about the threaded view and why it wasn't available in Kunena, now I know.

Will the threaded view be viewable for all users or only moderators? I'm guessing that the split function will only be available to Admins and/or moderators, right? K1.6 is getting more exciting as I learn more about it. Will we be able to play around with it on a test site soon?

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 2 months ago #8 by FreeThinker
For sure the SPLIT function is Moderation and/or Admin tool which normal users wont have access to it :P

More
14 years 2 months ago #9 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:SPLIT Function / Option
There are a few ways to split a thread:

1) moving subtopic (post and replies to it or its children)
2) moving all newer posts
3) movig a selection of posts (or just one post)

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds