- Posts: 4
- Thank you received: 4
Kunena 5.2 Beta 1 Released (24 Sep 2020)
The Kunena team is thrilled to announce the first public beta release of Kunena 5.2, a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9. This is a development release and should be only be used for testing; this version is not recommended for live websites at this stage.
The purpose of this release is to encourage testing by downloading, installing and identifying any problems or shortcomings that people may discover. K 5.2.0 B1 is stable and we are aware that people will discover defects. We encourage you to use the forum to report defects, as soon as they are discovered, so that the development team can work through the problems before the release of K 5.1 as a stable product. Reporting defects does not mean that the problems can or will be fixed. The Kunena team is looking forward to hearing your feedback on how well we have achieved our design goals.
Idea Update about upcoming changes
What's upcoming on the next big version: Kunena 5.0?
Because of the substantial changes that this new version introduces (compared with K 4.0), We will tell you what you can expect on the new version.
Upgrading to K 5.0 involves changes that may affect Kunena's interoperability with other extensions installed on your site. For this reason it is advisable that you first test K 5.0 on a test site before you upgrade your live production site(s). At this stage the team is not treating interoperability with other Joomla extensions as the topmost priority. The main priority at this time is about installation/upgrade and operability as a standalone Joomla component.
I would like to ask a couple of questions, please.
The suggested improvement to add an autosubcribe feature as part of K 5.0 was first indicated as a "target" for K 4.0. The discussion at GitHub (that has now been closed) suggested that this feature would be factored into K 4.0.6, if my understanding is correct, but the blog article suggests otherwise.
1) Has the autosubscribe feature been deferred to K 5.0 or is it still intended to be included in K 4.0.6?
2) The article makes the point that autosubscribe will only be "allowed for B2B". How will K 5.0 ensure that websites where autosubcribe is implemented are used only for B2B purposes to ensure its legality ?
The article mentions that, from K 5.0, Kunena support for PHP 5.3 will be deprectated—I assume that there will be a check to prevent attempted installation if a website uses PHP 5.3 (or lower). The article recommends that people upgrade to PHP 5.5.
3) What is the minimum version of PHP required to install K 5.0?
Forum template options
4) With the arrival of K 5.0 and the removal of Blue Eagle support (and therefore all alternative templates that are derived from Blue Eagle) and the focus now on Crypsis, what resources will be made available for members of the Kunena community and other template developers to be able to design and construct their own templates?
5) Will resources be freely available for members of the Kunena community to be able to design and construct their own templates, or will an additional cost be required to make those resources available?
Thank you. I look forward to seeing the replies to my questions.
This feature is almost 4 years in the core package. We started to redo the feature to include it on K4.0. But the code isn't fully working. That's why we closed the topic. And move the task to K5.0
Webmasters are always responsible for the enabling on features. We can't detect if you are a business or working on a intranet. We can only give a warning when you enable the feature.
Php 5.3 will be deprecated from the install yes. The last months there found a lot of vulnerables in server software. That's why we increase the minimal php version.
The lasted 5.4 version is 5.4.45. So we are thinking of minimal version of 5.4.33
That we need to check what later version are available.
Forum template options:
4) After the first beta of K5.0 will be docs available for creating templates.
The easiest way is to edit crypsis or edit the new template.
5) What kind of resources do you mean. Template builders can use docs.
How do eg car manufacturers ensure that their cars are not used as getaway cars in a bank robbery?
sozzled wrote: 2) The article makes the point that autosubscribe will only be "allowed for B2B". How will K 5.0 ensure that websites where autosubcribe is implemented are used only for B2B purposes to ensure its legality ?
sharing = caring
rgblogs wrote: Will there be any feature to enable or disable fields in profile information?
That's not a feature planned for Kunena 5.0, we have couple of features planned ( github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/3396 ) for this release. But this is just a plan and all the features will be included if we have enough time.
I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
- Not Allowed: to create new topic.
- Not Allowed: to reply.
- Not Allowed: to edit your message.