Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Merged "Will it be possible ... ?" - A collection of all kinds of questions about Kunena 2.0

More
13 years 1 month ago - 11 years 11 months ago #1 by cymode
Hey,
I am planning to set up an online forum with Kunena, but I am thinking about waiting with the start up until 2.0 comes out. On the website it says "early 2011", but I would like to know if there is a more definite time.

Thanks
Cymode
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Merge topics: change subject and topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 11 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Kunena 2.0 Release Date
AS you already know, K 2.0 is currently under development. It is expected that a beta or release candidate version will be made available to the public within the next couple of months and that a stable release will follow shortly after that. The indications are that this will probably now occur before the end of Q2 2011 but, of course, no guarantees can be made at this time.

May I ask, what experience do you now have with K 1.6 and would that version suit your short-term needs in the meantime?
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cymode

More
13 years 1 month ago #3 by cymode
Replied by cymode on topic Re: Kunena 2.0 Release Date
Hi,
if Version 2.0 doesn't come out in the next 2 months, then I will be very happy to use version 1.6. I was just worried that 2.0 might come out right after I just set up 1.6. Upgrades are always a bit iffy.

Thanks for the super fast reply.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #4 by LN888
Replied by LN888 on topic Re: Kunena 2.0 Release Date
This thread is a couple of months old and I'm wondering how much closer to the K 2.0 release date you are? Also will there be provisions for importing my PHPBB 3 data? I'm using Joomala 1.6

Thanks.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by LN888.

More
12 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled
We are a couple of months closer to the release of K 2.0 than we were two months ago.

There are no special provisions on the table, at this time, for importing/migrating phpBB3, punBB, Agora, SMF, brand-X or any other froum structure.

Just like with K 1.6, you will be able to use K 2.0 in J! 1.6 to a similar extent that certain features in J! 1.6 are broken. At this time, the primary focus of the development team is concentrating on K 2.0 interoperability with J! 1.7. In other words, the aim of the project is to ensure that K 2.0 will work with J! 1.5, J! 1.6 and J! 1.7.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6 by etkritikonspoudon
Joomla 1.6 is quite close to its end of life...why bother with something that will be dead in a couple of months?

As I understand it, Joomla 1.5 has been around for much too long, so people are eager to upgrade...this creates pressure on developers to make their extensions compatible with anything new out there, but really why spend working hours on something which will no longer be supported by the Joomla community in a couple of months? Who will still be using J1.6 when it is no longer supported?

As long as working with J1.6 prepares the team for J1.7 and that transition, it makes sense, but really worrying about J1.6 compatibility does not sound meaningful, to me at least...sounds more like a waste of time and resources...why further "feed" and encourage use of J1.6, apart from what makes sense to you as developers (concerning transition) ?

Which brings up the main point...J1.5 seems to be a special case with its long file cycle, but now that the development cycle is shortening, what will Kunena's policy be with regard to support of Joomla short-term releases?

Will it make sense then to spend time on probably three projects at the same time: 1) long-term (J1.8) 2) short term (j1.9) and 3) short term (J1.10) (and maybe even next long-term 1.11) for the time that these overlap? Or will you concentrate on long-term releases?
Since the cycle will be shorter, one would suppose the new features will not be that many, making the need or push to upgrade to short-term releases in the feature less attractive...

...So how is it going to proceed?

Cheers
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by etkritikonspoudon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7 by woonydanny
1.6 to 1.7 i dont think is a major change so most extensions that work on J1.6 will be pretty close to working on J1.7

Im no expert but i think this is the case.

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #8 by etkritikonspoudon
Yes, that was part of what I suggested-supposed (no expert either)...but there is a difference between working with J1.6 to prepare for 1.7 (at least as long as J1.7 is not yet released), thus also preparing for the next long-term Joomla versions, and worrying specifically about the particular quirks and necessities of J1.6 compatibility...

To my mind this whole business of transition to J1.6 compatible extensions is a farse...
Who would responsibly advise anyone to install J1.6 on a professional, or at least serious website, when it took quite a few months to get this short-term release to a reasonably stable state and its end of life was vey close from the start, now only a couple of months away?

As I see it, developers should be more explicit about the lack of necessity and actual benefit of transition to J1.6 and they shouldn't encourage people to use it...not even Joomla.org uses it...that might suggest how trustworthy it is when a group of the most knowledgeable Joomla users and involved developers don't upgrade their site...or how unecessary the upgrade is...lots of tested extensions out there to make up for the bits of new features...

Because of the particular case at hand (J1.5 is around too long, people eager to use something new) most developers seem to have felt they might be left behind if they were explicit and decided that releasing official J1.6 compatible extensions (as opposed to working with it unofficially to keep up with the changes) would be a waste of time and effort (which would also cause more loss of time/resources, as people would then upgrade more readily to J1.6, if they thought they would be able to use their favorite extensions)...

But then again, 7 out of 10 people I have spoken to don't seem to know that J1.6 will NO longer be supported AT ALL a month after J1.7 is released (that means beyond August 2011 if I'm not mistaken)...
...if they knew that, if they were conscious that upgrading to J1.6 would mean also taking up NECESSARY upgrade to J1.7 and then J1.8 , with whatever problems that might mean for their website, they might reconsider...

Joomla 1.5, on the othe hand, will be supported AT LEAST 3 months after J1.8 release...

EDIT:

Let me be even more precise...

Why work making Kunena 2.0 compatible with J1.6, when the beta/release candidate version of Kunena 2.0 will likely follow the complete halt of all support for J1.6?? Who will be using J1.6 when they won't even be getting security patches after August 2011?

What I mean is, I'd much more likely prefer that Kunena 2.0 became available sooner, than having secured compatibility with a Joomla release no longer supported when Kunena 2.0 is actually out...
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by etkritikonspoudon.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #9 by sozzled
J! 1.5 will come to its end of life around April 2012 (assuming that Joomla's 6-month release cycle goes ahead smoothly).

I think that most serious web developers agree that J! 1.6 was a let-down and it probably will be remembered as a momentary blip on the Joomla radar screen. Let us hope that J! 1.7 is better. The early alpha release has not been very successful so far.

There is nothing basically wrong with J! 1.6. It works. K 1.6.4 works with J! 1.6.3. There are some defects in J! 1.6.3 - and that's a fact - but most people won't encounter those problems unless they really try to do some "fancy stuff". For uncomplicated websites, J! 1.6.3 is fine.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 10 months ago #10 by etkritikonspoudon

sozzled wrote: J! 1.5 will come to its end of life around April 2012 (assuming that Joomla's 6-month release cycle goes ahead smoothly).

I think that most serious web developers agree that J! 1.6 was a let-down and it probably will be remembered as a momentary blip on the Joomla radar screen. Let us hope that J! 1.7 is better. The early alpha release has not been very successful so far.

There is nothing basically wrong with J! 1.6. It works. K 1.6.4 works with J! 1.6.3. There are some defects in J! 1.6.3 - and that's a fact - but most people won't encounter those problems unless they really try to do some "fancy stuff". For uncomplicated websites, J! 1.6.3 is fine.

Sure...but even uncomplicated websites need security...they do need support...
They won't be getting any of those with J1.6 after August 2011...

So unless it's just a personal website it does not make any sense using J1.6...to my mind, J1.6 is not appropriate even then...because if your personal website is compromised because of immature security or further lack of support, there is trouble there...

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds