Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Merged [Merged topic] New topic / wrong category

More
13 years 4 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #1 by Oscarfishlover
People can now just click on "new topic" at the top of the forum, rather than going to a specific category to post their question. However, I'm finding that on a daily basis people are not actually selecting the category in the drop-down so I am for ever having to move posts from the first category. I suppose we will just have to educate people as there doesn't seem to be any other way around this annoying problem.

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #2 by fxstein
Any suggestions on how to deal with that. We did not have this button in the past. You had to go inside a category to post a new topic. Many people asked for a central button - unfortunately you need to select a category for that.

If you don't like dealing with that you could unpublish that function - just like it was in 1.5

Other ideas?

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #3 by sozzled
There are a couple of ways to work around the issue - although everyone has a different perspective and other people may not see it as a problem.

For example, just about every day I post up to 50 messages here at www.kunena.org ; just about all of my messages are replies to other people (which means I don't use the New Topic menu tab very often). But we don't often encounter the problem here (at www.kunena.org ) where the first topic selectable in the dropdown list of categories is the Official Announcements and News about Kunena category - a locked category that normal users cannot post into - which therefore means that users have to select a "legitimate" category. Of course, a lot of people are just lazy and they select the General Talk about Kunena category when they actually want something else.

The moderators then sort out which category is more appropriate. I think this discussion (the one that we're now having) belongs where it was originally posted, in the General Talk about Kunena category. :)

So, that's one approach.

Another approach is to put the category where you expect most people will post as the first category on your forum.

A third approach is to delete the New Topic menu tab. It's not surprising that, throughout the life of Kunena ( - and probably the software, before it, that Kunena evolved from - many users found it difficult to find where they could create a new topic. So, the feature was added into K 1.6 to make it easier. Not every solution will suit everyone but we do appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, if you delete the New Topic menu tab there are still other opportunities to start a new topic within a category. B)

Perhaps others have their own ideas, too?
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4 by philiplardner
Is it possible to set a specific category as the default category for new topic posts - or better yet, have no default category and force the user to select a category from the drop-down list?

At present my Kunena 1.6 setup defaults to the first category in the list (which just happens to be open to the public.) The problem is that it is easy to forget to select the correct category for your new topic and new (potentially private) topics end up in the public forum.

Any help appreciated.

Philip.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5 by sozzled
Good question.

I agree, it wasn't easy to find this subject when I searched because who would have thought to look at a topic with the subject "Is anyone else having this problem?" Another good reason that people should try to use meaningful subject names.

We have the same issues here. I've written about those issues (and workarounds) in my earlier message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philiplardner

More
13 years 2 months ago #6 by Azure
I am having problems where new posts are created by users when they don't first select the right category to post in. This is an extra step to the process of posting a new topic from previous versions of Kunena and like most things in life, people get used to doing things a certain way.

Consequently, they fail to select the right category and it gets chucked in the first one which happens to be a locked topic containing the rules of the forum. The result is that anyone below moderator level can read the post but cannot join in the debate.

Is there any way to alter the drop down list so that it at least only shows unlocked topics, thus at least avoiding the scenario of starting a discussion and only mods and above being able to reply to these topics?

Screenshot provided as my explanation is often insufficient to spark a response. ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try..."
Attachments:

More
13 years 2 months ago #7 by Azure
A big thank you to the mods for placing my post here. ;) One solution is to have a back end function which enables admins/mods to disable any categories contained in the drop-down list that are locked to be accessible to admins/mods and above only. Meantime, I am going to have to reorder the forum so that the most used category/section is shown (Like Sozzled suggests). It's not very clean, but it will have to do until we find a better way forward.

Azure wrote: I am having problems where new posts are created by users when they don't first select the right category to post in. This is an extra step to the process of posting a new topic from previous versions of Kunena and like most things in life, people get used to doing things a certain way.

Consequently, they fail to select the right category and it gets chucked in the first one which happens to be a locked topic containing the rules of the forum. The result is that anyone below moderator level can read the post but cannot join in the debate.

Is there any way to alter the drop down list so that it at least only shows unlocked topics, thus at least avoiding the scenario of starting a discussion and only mods and above being able to reply to these topics?

Screenshot provided as my explanation is often insufficient to spark a response. ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try..."

More
11 years 11 months ago #8 by woonydanny
Hi, I have the issue that has been discussed before here on kunena, and that is where the first category that defaults to be the category for new topics is not a locked category and so most users (are either too lazy or unaware that they need to select a category) put their new topic in the first category.

fxstein, asked for suggestions www.kunena.org/forum/5-General-Talk-abou...wrong-category#70314

and my wish would be to be able to have no category to default and so they must select a category. This way they actually have to think about which category they need to put their topic in.

So in the drop down list would look like:
- Select Category -
Category 1
Category 2
Category 3

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
11 years 11 months ago #9 by 810
This feature is already in the K2.0. version. beta will be released this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woonydanny

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds