Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Emailing to creator of post

More
12 years 5 months ago #1 by perryworld
Hi Guys,

We need to be able to send an email to the creator of the post when someone replies/quotes on it and not to everybody who has subscribed.

If this is possible, where would we look to apply the hack?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
I assume that I have correctly interpreted this most unusual request. I would like to know what happens when people (who did not create a topic) want to subscribe and therefore receive emails when someone else updates the topic with a reply? Are you suggesting that the only people on your site who can subscribe to a topic are those who start topics? Can you also explain how you would implement an exception case to those people who subscribe to categories.

Let's suppose you're able to implement the change as you asked for it. What happens if the creator of the topic prefers to not receive emails, or loses interest in a topic that they started? I assume that you would still want some kind of opt-out facility, yes? :S
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perryworld

More
12 years 4 months ago #3 by perryworld
Hi Sozzled,

Thanks for the reply.
I agree with the points you have made and will question our client about this requirement.

I think they will want any subscribed users to receive an email whenever there are any posts on the topic but will also want an email sent to the creator of the post when someone replies/quotes on a post.

I think that sounds a bit more logical.

Cheers
Richard

More
12 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled
Obviously, if the creator of a topic is subscribed to that topic, then the creator of the topic (as well as anyone else who subscribes to that topic) will receive a notification by email whenever someone posts a message in that topic. That's how topic subscription works and that's how Kunena has always worked.

As I see things, the issue in this case is to encourage people to subscribe to the topics that they have an enduring interest in. That, to me, speaks more as a matter of educating people to use their forums in more effective ways rather than trying to find find of technical "cures" for what others may see as a potential problems. By imposing technically prescriptive "remedies" people are more likely to realise more difficulties that they may not have foreseen or that would not have occurred if they'd approached the issue with better engagement and education of their users.

This topic was posted in the General Talk about Kunena category. I would remind people that this category is primarily for seeking feedback, observations and commentary about the product and suggestions about how the product may be improved. It is not a category for seeking specific technical answers to specific versions of the product.

More
12 years 4 months ago #5 by perryworld
Hi Sozzled,

They now agree that the users should be able to subscribe/unsubscibe as required but they still want the functionality which would email the creator of the post that they have just quoted/replied too.
They refer to the situation that would happen in facebook that if you have uploaded a picture you would want to be notified when someone passes a comment about it.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers
Richard

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #6 by sozzled

perryworld wrote: ... they still want the functionality which would email the creator of the post that they have just quoted/replied too.

It's a stock standard feature of Kunena. By default - unless you change it - everyone who contributes to a topic is subscribed to that topic. Users can opt-out from this default arrangement (it's a checkbox). Is that acceptable?
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7 by perryworld
Hi Again,

They want the email sending to the creator of the post even if the creator isn't subscribed.
So as in the facebook world they haven't subscribed but would be emailed if anyone commented on their image.

I tend to agree with your point of view, but there is an incentive payment to the guys participating so they want to encourage them to contribute.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Richard

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #8 by sozzled

perryworld wrote: They want the email sending to the creator of the post even if the creator isn't subscribed.

Let me understand clearly: you're saying that there is no opt-out for a person who creates a post. Therefore, if a topic generates 1,500 replies, the creator will be notified of each and every reply and will have no way to get out of the email bind. Is that the requirement?

Given this highly restricted arrangement, it might be possible to develop a procedure - at a mutually agreed cost - to implement a one-off, unsupported, feature for your clients that would not be supported except on an on-going, per version release basis ... if your clients are agreeable to this arrangement. I have not said that it's necessarily feasible, nor have I discussed this with my colleagues, but I want to be sure that when I approach them I will be doing so in the knowledge that this unusual request will be adequately funded. I think I can say with some certainty that your request has not been made before and that there is not widespread appeal for a forum where various users are unable to opt out from receiving email whenever a new message is posted on the forum (if you understand my meaning). Put the response to them in those terms and let's hear what is their reaction. :)
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9 by perryworld
Hi,

They can opt-in/opt-out of the subscription.

The request is even if they have opted out, if their post is quoted/replied upon then the creator of the post would be notified (even though they haven't subscribed)

So I created a post "Hi sozzled" but have not subscribed - you the reply "Hi" - I would expect to receive an email to tell me someone has responded to my post.

Does that make it any clearer?

Thanks
Richard

More
12 years 4 months ago #10 by sozzled
Allow me to summarise my understanding of the requirement:

(1) Whoever creates a topic (i.e. the author of the first message that starts a topic) will automatically receive emails whenever someone replies to that topic - no ifs, not buts, not maybes and no way of exiting from that contract. They're committed/doomed, for all time, to continue to receive email notifications of any reply to "their" topic.

(2) Other people may also subscribe to be notified by email whenever the topic is updated with a new reply. These people can opt-out (i.e. they can unsubscribe from that topic) and no longer receive email. However, the subscription facility has no effect whatsoever as far as the creator of the topic is concerned.

That's my understanding of the concept and my last reply to you was written with that understanding in mind. I think your meaning was perfectly clear.

Time to create page: 0.344 seconds