Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Jomsocial groups are a good concept but:

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #1 by greg
Hi my site www.rainbowrv.com uses Jomsocial and CC board. I fought the idea of using a robust package like Kunena because site visitors often never go outside of a forum with so many features. This Kunena site has many top nav features and I would bet that few members here ever get to the blog???? You can see that here too there are few that use and join the groups.
Published since May 09 my site has 800 members and only 200 total members in the groups. I have constant request for email notifications of group discussions, text editors, and other features that are found in Kunena. I am sold on the Idea to add Kunena to our site and replace CC board ( ccboard is great for what it is).

I want to make a hybrid groups package and replace the Jomsocial groups discussions with a Kunena section or Catagory??? I want the section or category to show in the master forum package but the social group area to only contain the section or catagory that relates to that group. I may just scrap the groups function and build ('have built', as I am not code savvy) mini web pages for each group with Kunena hacked up in a discussions area?????
I am learning Kunena and trying to decide if it is best to set a section, category or how best assign a part to each group?? I want to make each group owner the moderator for their part of Kunena activity.

Please advise me on your thoughts and Ideas with this project I posted development of this on the GAF and Joomlancer but received no credible bids. I have one person making an attempt now but fear their ability and our communication stands in the way of a good result.
Greg
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by greg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #2 by trodebac28
Hi greg

We have develop a Joomla component to do just that: replace the Jomsocial groups discussions with a Kunena category. It's called and you can find it here:

Using this component you can assign a Kunena Forum category to each JomSocial Group, improving your online community user experience and making it easier to manage the user participation.

You can contact us if your need further information or advice in
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by @quila.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3 by @quila
Hi trodebac28,

please stop to spam our forum, you can't sell your product in this forum. Thank you.

matias wrote:

Please do not sell anything in our forum.

Kunena developers and moderators are doing all of this for free, and because of that we do not like others to be selling their services in our public forum either. This may change in the future, but currently I always get a bad feeling if our team does all the hard work and then someone comes and sells small modifications to it in our own support forum.

In private messages you may do what you want (no spamming, though!).

Regards

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #4 by goblin
Strong agree with @quila!

Even I really need the Kunena integrated with Jomsocial group function for my site, I believe Kunena team will come out something better soon, so I am waiting patiently here.

Go! Kunena Team, You have our support!

Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by goblin.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5 by sebkun
Ooooh ! I'm relieved to read something about him... I was kind of bothered by his spam since he wrote in every topic I follow anxiously waiting for good news ! ;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #6 by jdundon
Pardon the comment (I am in no way endorsing forum spamming), but even if an addon is commercial, it still may be very valuable for Kunena users. I for one found this thread and am interested in the component that integrates kunena with jomsocial groups. It is a drag not to be able to follow the link to that addon.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Kunena is free, but Jomsocial is not, and many users would gladly pay a few dollars for an addon that integrates the two of them.

@Kunena Devs -

Thank you very much for your huge gift to the J! community. Keeping it free is a hard thing to do, but what exactly is your motivation? If it does not include making money, is it to simply get as many people using Kunena and Joomla! as possible? I know that many people who go for Jomsocial do so because of the community features, then go looking for an integrated forum. The first big forum to nail the integration with jomsocial groups will take precedence.

I guess my point is that you have a lot to gain by promoting all Kunena addons, paid or free. The better integrated Kunena becomes with other J! components like jomsocial, the more often it will be picked by joomla admins as the forum of choice.

Again, thanks for your huge contribution.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7 by Matias
We are still trying to figure out what to do with 'commercial' advertising. We are not totally against it, but Kunena project should get something in return -- I mean that advertiser should pay for it -- but not nessessary money. It could also be participation to the project, in a way or another.

We are also trying to find a model, which would bring us some money to keep developers motivated in the future. Releasing Kunena 1.6 will give a lot of possibilities, so we are trying to focus our attention into it as much as possible. Kunena will stay free, but some of the new features may come first to our supporters.

More
14 years 6 months ago #8 by xpozay
Matias wrote:

Kunena will stay free, but some of the new features may come first to our supporters.

Can you elaborate on what features will require "support". One of the reasons many are desperately waiting for 1.6 (aside from performance) is for additional features that have been lacking in FB and the 1.5 series.

Also, what is the definition of a supporter? Somebody who contributes in the forum? Somebody who donates? Somebody who out right purchases extensions?

Thanks

More
14 years 6 months ago #9 by Matias
Kunena 1.6 will have a lot of minor improvements (because of the rewrite), but I'm not sure if we want to push release into the future to have a lot of new and cool features. There will most likely be some, but I'd rather publish K1.6 sooner with less features than after a year with everything you can imagine. Features should be fairly easy to add, so basically K1.6 means changing from maintenance mode to new features.

I believe that supporter is anyone who contributes to Kunena project, but we still need to define what it means. ;)

More
14 years 6 months ago #10 by xpozay
I do agree with the principle that releasing 1.6 sooner with less features is better than delaying for additional features. However, this decision (a good one) is not correlated to a decision on whether to charge for additional features or not. Ie They are independent decisions.

While, I do not mind contributing, being it financial or otherwise, I do believe it is in the communities best interest to know well in advance if there is going to be a shift in the revenue model, in whole or in part. Many people spend time and money working to integrate Kunena into their overall environment. In fact, many are tolerating issues in today's Kunena (due to legacy) waiting for a better world powered by Kunena. Knowledge of a change in the revenue model will allow those people to make an informed decision to a) wait and see; b) continue spending resources with kunena knowing where they should invest $ or time in the future; c) shift their resources to competitive products that are available today.

Again, I do not disagree with revenue generation and think it would be best to define what is free and what is not in advance. After all, if one is to pay for feature ABC and I can buy it today elsewhere, it may be in that person's best interest to do it now.

Thanks for your feedback

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds