Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Kunena Latest plugin for 1.6.2 does not work unless logged in

More
13 years 2 months ago #1 by gkwatson
I have my kunena forum set up that it requires you to be a registered joomla user, however i have in previous version had the kunena latest posts plugin running at a unregistered user level to entice new visitors to the website to login to the forum. This functionality was working in version 1.5 and appears to have been deprecated. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by gkwatson

More
13 years 2 months ago #3 by Troneas
you mean the module yes? not the plugin?

and is your forum set up to read-only for visitors or disabled completely for visitors?

you should post your configuration settings it'll make it easier for the devs to find out where your problem might be.

More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by xillibit
Hello,

The kunena latest is only a module, displaying latest message or topics will work for guests, like he said Troneas please put here your kunena report configuration settings

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #5 by DuckJunkie
Is there a way to get the module to show the latest discussions to users that are not logged in even if your forum is closed to the public?
We have our forum open and set so that that public can only see the sections but the categories are set to Registered. (We have done this to keep "trollers" out.) This setting causes the Kunena Latest module to come up empty. I opened our category Welcome Mat to viewing by all users to test if the module would work at all and it does work. This proved that it does work but only with categories that are open to the public.

I agree with gkwatson that I would like to use this module to entice people to the forum with "teasers" without opening my forum to the public.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by DuckJunkie.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6 by gkwatson
Yes correct it is indeed a module. My forum is only available to logged in users. However again, the Kunena Latest module does not display anything unless you are logged in. Now this was working in 1.5 version of Kunena.

Kunen Foruma and the Latest Module have significant amount of configuration options, what in particular would you like me to post to help resolve the issue.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled

gkwatson wrote: Now this was working in 1.5 version of Kunena.

The "latest posts" module used in K 1.5 was never part of the Kunena project; it was not developed by the Kunena project team members, it was never properly supported or maintained and it was not endorsed by the project. If things worked (or didn't work) in a particular way with that module then that was just luck (or bad design).

I don't know much about the Kunena Latest module that was designed by the project team. I've kept my interests focused on the core product. It does, however, seem reasonable to me that if you deny access to the Kunena forum to those who are not logged-in or registered, then you deny access everywhere. This means that RSS feeds will similarly not work (and it's reassuring to know that RSS feeds will not produce anything if you choose to keep your forum private from non-registered guests who just want to look around but not participate). Likewise, if you want to stop guests nosing around your forum without joining your site, why would you want to provide with a back-door means to do just that by using the Kunena Latest module? Therefore, all I am saying is that the problem we're discussing seems a logical extensions of the security mechanism that is used in the Kunena forum component and its behaviour is consistent with the overall design.

If, however, I have wrongly interpreted the meaning of the topic, I should be grateful if someone can show me how I have erred in my reasoning. Does that make sense? :dry:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 2 months ago #8 by gkwatson
Ok so I have now set the forum so it requires registration to post topics and reply, however visitors should be able to view it. This indeed does not seem to work, visitors to the website can get to the forum but cannot see any topics, nor does the kunena latest module display anything.

More
13 years 2 months ago #9 by DuckJunkie
@gkwatson -Is your configuration set to public?
Are all of your sections categories set to public? Are your categories all set to public?
Only items set to public will be viewed when a user is not logged in. You also need to be careful to include child groups.

@sozzled - the reason we would want to display topics that are usually only available to registered users is to "tease" guests into wanting to register to read more. In theory, with the module, you are only showing a couple topics - hence you are not "showing all your cards" and when the user clicks on the topic, ideally it will ask them to register and hopefully you have snagged another registered user. :woohoo:

More
13 years 2 months ago #10 by GrdPa
If you are on Joomla 1.6, download my patch here
The following user(s) said Thank You: DuckJunkie

Time to create page: 0.827 seconds