Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question Help creating custom template and bug report

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1 by etkritikonspoudon
I need your help creating a custom template for my site, based on the default Blue Eagle one...

Initially, I started doing tests with the code provided in this very useful thread but it provided too many limitations if I didn't want to copy most of Kunena's CSS code into my Joomla template.css file...

So I started looking around and found this informative documentation on Kunena's template customization ...but this guide also has two faults:
- It involves copying the "example" template's files and folders, thereby missing the easy customization provided with the newest edition of Kunena.
- It seems more files are needed to be copied into the new template's folder, which are not included in the "example" template folder (more on this to follow).

I took the intermediate approach and initially copied the following files from the Blue Eagle (default) template folder, with the contents of the "example" folder as criteria, supposing that the extra files missing in comparison to the default template would somehow be "served" from it (how is the "example" template meant to operate, anyway?)

Folders:
/css
/images
/language
Files:
index.html
params.ini
template.xml

After some testing I realized that the posting buttons were not being displayed. So I went to my host's CPanel and checked the "Error Log"...there I found "File not found" 404 errors pointing to images within the /media folder...so I copied its contents to my new template folder. Now its contents are

Folders:
/css
/images
/language
/media
Files:
index.html
params.ini
template.xml

But given that this problem came about, I want to make sure so my first question is
1) What files and folders do I need to copy from the default template folder into my custom template's folder?

Another issue is the task of minifying the CSS files one has changed, since Kunena only loads the minified versions of the CSS files used.
I have found the following Minifiers, all within Kunena Documentation
refresh-sf.com/yui/ (also check this page for a downloadable archive)
www.minifycss.com/css-compressor/
code.google.com/p/minify/

I have found the first more handy, but I wanted to ask the Kunena Team:
2) Which Minifier do you use to produce your minified css files and what settings do you recommend Kunena users to choose?

My third question (more of this kind will follow on this tread, as customization progresses) is much more particular and concerns changing the colour of the highlight selector stripe in "Search" (see image)

3) How do I change that colour? I have tried locating the relevant code with Opera's DragonFly (i.e. FireBug alternative, very improved in the latest browser version) but I have failed...

Since I don't like the default blue colour of Kunena, I also edited some key images to fit my new template design...I did so with Paint.NET...
It could be low quality work from a newbie (with little time available) like me, but if you like it, you are free to use it:

And now for the Bug Report

I found the integrated "Edit CSS" function in Kunena very useful, but it was giving me errors...specifically, I found it introducing new code with every single "Save" operation:
I was editing the "kunena.default.css" file, which starts with this code
Code:
@charset "utf-8";
and I realized that the "amp" code would multiply, adding two such instances, one before one after "utf-8", every time I pressed "Save"...
It also did so somewhere in the middle of the file, for whatever reason, before and after a specific Font designation, "Courier New", if I remember correctly.

These surely weren't the only places where amp;quote was inserted...in my CPanel's "Error Log" I also found these weird references in "File not Found" reports
Code:
/css/"../images/icons/rss.png"] /css/"../images/icons/stats.png"] /css/"../images/icons/folder_nonew.png"] /css/"../images/icons/who_is_online.png"] /css/"../images/pathway_finallink.gif"] /css/"../images/shrink.gif"] /css/"../images/icons/folder_nonew_sm.png"] /css/"../images/pathway_start.gif"]
It was way after midnight, so I did not have the strength or patience to locate all the instances of errors, so I did the easy thing...I deleted everything and started over...

Another issue I came across, which I don't know if it is hosting related, is that after editing the CSS file through Kunena, the permissions of these files would change to 555 from 644...

To avoid the two aforementioned issues I am no longer using the Kunena integrated CSS Editing function, but CPanel's "Code Editor" or I edit the files locally...I have not witnessed any such issues since.

That's it for now...of all the questions the first (1) is the more pressing right now, if you could help
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by etkritikonspoudon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #2 by etkritikonspoudon
Just to update this thread, it seems another file is necessary to create a working custom template out of the default one, "initialize.php"...

As I understand it hasn't been worked out (?) up to now what files exactly must be copied from the default Kunena template, but there are some other questions here as well...

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #3 by etkritikonspoudon
Can you help me change the menu highlight color, as in the forum jump function or in the search box, from blue to something else? (see question 3 above)
What is the CSS rule I need to change? I can't figure it out...

Also, I need to repeat the question, which has not been answered...when creating a custom template out of the default one, does one need to copy the "js" folder into the new template as well?
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by etkritikonspoudon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Menu highlighting is controlled in two parts:

Depends on how you setup Kunena menu in the first place. Some people have this problem when they try to use menu as "external URL" instead of "alias menu". This point is covered in Customised Menus .

K 1.6.4 Blue Eagle template has new options for changing the menu colours.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #5 by etkritikonspoudon
I am sorry, you might have misinterpreted my question...I suppose you didn't read the first post but only the first clause of my last reply?

The 3rd question posted above concerns the way to change the blue color that defines the selected item of the quick-forum-jump menu (from one forum category to another) or in the search box (see screenshot in the first post), but also other parts of front-end Kunena where a drop-down menu option appears
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by etkritikonspoudon.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds