Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question Kunena display width?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #1 by sunrunner_pei
I just installed Kunena (1.6.3) on our Joomla (1.5.22) website, but instantly I'm faced with an issue... Our 3-column website design scrunches up the forum badly. Is there any way to have the forum load without one of the columns to allow more screen real estate? Or am I SOL?

I've attached a screen shot to show what I mean.

I really appreciate any advice you can provide!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #2 by GoremanX
Replied by GoremanX on topic Re: Kunena display width?
Short of modifying the template, there's no real easy way to do this. Most forums depend on at least a certain amount of screen real-estate to be visually functional. This isn't specific to Kunena. You could try making the modules on the right side of your site not show up on Kunena pages. That would give you back a big chunk of screen space. On our site, we frequently have modules on the right and/or left side of the page, but not on forum pages. There, I only ever have one side column or none at all, depending on the page. Joomla makes this fairly easy.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #3 by severdia
Replied by severdia on topic Re: Kunena display width?
Yes, most people have only their forum showing when in that section instead of trying to cram it into a tight layout. It's pretty easy to add conditionals to your Joomla template to make side columns/modules only appear on non-forum pages. Here's the countModules reference:

docs.joomla.org/JDocumentHTML/countModules

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
11 years 11 months ago #4 by virulent
Replied by virulent on topic Re: Kunena display width?
Hi, I really really want to keep a colomn of modules on the right side on the forum...

Is there a way to minimize the forum width just a little ?? (It's only a matter of like 20px so it can display perfectly)

Thanks

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Kunena display width?

virulent wrote: Is there a way to minimize the forum width just a little?

Yes. Easy to solve by using web design tool like Firebug for Firefox.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 11 months ago #6 by Computer Candy
Edit the css.

Here is the entry:
#Kunena {
min-width: 700px;
}

Just change 700px it to whatever you need.

Or add this with your changes to anywhere you like in the css:
#Kunena {
min-width: 700px !important;
}

More
11 years 11 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena display width?

Computer Candy wrote: Edit the css.

Here is the entry:
#Kunena {
min-width: 700px;
}

Just change 700px it to whatever you need.

Or add this with your changes to anywhere you like in the css:
#Kunena {
min-width: 700px !important;
}

Thanks, Computer Candy. That may work but there's a high chance that the Joomla site template will override those settings. We want to make a very important point, when people say "edit the CSS": we strongly advise against changing any files created by the Kunena installation process. In particular, we advise people to not change any of the files in the folder ../components/com_kunena/template/default/css ... not unless you really know what you are doing and you are prepared to accept the risks involved that you may completely ruin your chances of running your forum trouble-free.

For simple changes - like the one in this topic - the change is easy to make by editing the Joomla site template CSS file.

For highly sophisticated and much more complex customisation, especially if you want to share and distribute your work with other people running Kunena, it's better to design your own complete template.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Computer Candy

More
11 years 10 months ago #8 by LightflowMark
Replied by LightflowMark on topic Kunena display width?
I just had this exact problem. I copied the example template as per instructions, edited the template.xml with a new name, author etc. and then edited kunena.forum.css #Kunena .overflow to have a width of 500px. It works; it looks OK.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds