Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Important [SOLVED] uddeIM 2.3 won't install

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1 by frenostanco
As suggested from many users, today I've decided to install uddeIM on my Kunena 1.6.4 running on Joomla 1.5.23.
I've examinated all of the readme, and all of the enormous PDF manual attached to the zipped uddeIM file.

So, excited like a child, I have started the installation of the component (com_uddeim.zip) using the Joomla installer. But... here the first stop :(
I've got this message:

There was an error uploading this file to the server.

So, I've checked again the PDF document and examinated all of the problem cominf from the FTP layer. After a post-universitary course about file permissions, I was more confused then before...
But I have understood the I must change the FTP layer options (I think..). So I have gone in the global configuration panel of Joomla and I have found the "Enable FTP" option disabled (I have never touched this setting before). So, I have enable the FTP and I have gone back to the Joomla installation manager.

After setting my administrator credential, I have again selected the com_uddeim.zip for installation. After pressing the "Upload & install" button I've got the message of installation success, but... but.. I've got also this two error messages together with it:

JFTP::connect: Could not connect to host "127.0.0.1" on port 21
JClientHelper::setCredentialsFromRequest failed

So, I'm blocked again... :( .I have checked the list of components and there is no uddeIM component installed (even if I've got the success message). I have set the "enable FTP" option back to the false value.

What I must do now? Any idea?

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 2M

Joomla default template details : ja_purity_ii | author: JoomlArt.com | version: 1.2.0 | creationdate: 02/02/10

Kunena default template details : Example Template | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.4 | creationdate: 2011-05-07

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.4 | Build: 4832 | Version name: Kerkrade | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

Hello to everybody!
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by frenostanco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Start if you can by increase the max file upload in your php.ini, actually you have only 2 MB which is a bit low.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #3 by frenostanco
mmmh... that's a good idea! Maybe this could be the reason!
where is located the php.ini file you are referring to?

Hello to everybody!

More
12 years 11 months ago #4 by frenostanco
Scanning the "Php information" tab coming from the "System info" menu, I have found thei path for the php.ini file:

/etc/php53.ini.d/

but I cannot access to the etc/ directory using the CPanel... :( I'm blocked again...

Hello to everybody!

More
12 years 11 months ago #5 by sozzled
Did you unzip the uddeIM installation files first? Did you then install each of the parts that you needed, one by one, as the uddeIM installation guide shows you? Ultimately, installing uddeIM is not really the business of this website and, if you have problems with installing uddeIM, you should take them up with the author of uddeIM.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6 by frenostanco
Hello magic Sozzled! :)

Yes, I have unzipped the file first (in my post I'm referring the com_uddeim.zip file only).
But I strongly suspect that the problem are the PHP settings. The com_uddeim.zip is larger than 2Mb (2108978 bytes on my Linux system).

I've read somewhere that I could create a php.ini file in my public_html to ovveride/change default settings. Is this true?
I'm using not a my own computer, but a shared one on a server-provider. So, the etc/directory is forbidden for me... :(

Hello to everybody!

More
12 years 11 months ago #7 by frenostanco

sozzled wrote: you should take them up with the author of uddeIM.

Yes, I wrote in the joomlapolis "uddeIM" area too, but no answers... :(
More than this, I think that solution of this problem could help Kunena users too here in the Kunena forum.

Hello to everybody!

More
12 years 11 months ago #8 by sozzled
I've installed uddeIM several dozen times and I've never encountered a problem. If you cannot upload more than 2 Mb, then you should use one of the other two installation methods (e.g. unzip the uddeIM component files and upload them to a temp directory on your site and install from there). I've read the uddeIM installation guide and this case study is covered in it.

You have several choices (1) Change webhosting companies (2) Try to get your webhosting company to increase the 2 Mb upload constraint (3) Copy your entire website to another webhost, perform the install there, and copy it all back again (4) Learn how to use the three different Joomla installation options and choose the one that's right for you (5) Pay me for my time to do the job for you. :D

Some of these options may seem a little extreme but they're all reasonable. uddeIM is no more a part of Kunena than it is a part of Joomlapolis. The best support for uddeIM is from the author of uddeIM.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #9 by frenostanco
Option 6? eheheheh... :laugh: I would cover you with gold, if only I can! You wrote a lot of tips on this forum, your work is simply priceless.

sozzled wrote: Some of these options may seem a little extreme but they're all reasonable. uddeIM is no more a part of Kunena than it is a part of Joomlapolis. The best support for uddeIM is from the author of uddeIM.

Yes, I've asked for help to the author, but his help was useless and his reply was full of... nothing. Only 'cause he don't want to admit that my case is not covered by his "magnific" manual (in many parts, just copied from the Joomla online docs...). His answer has greatly irritated me... I'm really surprised of his reply like "don't disturb me with your stupid problems"...

Ok... I will solve this problem by myself. No problem. There are more big problem in the world than this... ;)

I would kiss xillibit that addressed me in the right direction :laugh:

p.s: if I solve the problem, I will post solution to help other guys

Hello to everybody!

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #10 by frenostanco
SOLUTION:

The standard "upload_max_filesize" setting for the PHP environment prevents from uploading uddeIM when the component-zip is larger than 2 megabytes (i.e. uddeIM version 2.3).
Here the steps to raise the limit to 3 megabytes:

1) start a simply text editor (notepad on windows, gedit on linux);[/li]

2) write this simple line,

upload_max_filesize = 3M

(you can modify other php settings, if you want. For example:

upload_max_filesize = 3M
post_max_size = 8M
memory_limit = 128M
max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = 60
)

3) save the file as "php.ini" (all in lowercase);

4) upload this file in your "public_html" directory (using an FTP client or the file manager web-interface from your provider)

5) check if the upload limit is really changed. To do this, log in Joomla as administrator and

a) select the menu item "Help"->"System info";
b) select the "PHP information" tab;
c) find the string "upload_max_filesize" in the page (use the search-function of the browser)
d) you should now see "3M" as value.

6) browse ad install the "com_uddeim.zip".

This solution ha worked for me. If you google in internet, you will find that this trick is working almost in any case. But there is no 100% guarantee that it will work for you. If doesn't work, is better to erase the uploaded php.ini file.

Hello to everybody!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds