Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important JS Error: $ is not a function (Slimbox)

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #1 by kdpickett
Hi,
I am getting a Javascript error when I bring up the Kunena Front page (Indicated by Firebug). It says $ is not a function and points to a variable declaration for Slimbox:
Code:
var Slimbox=(function(){var U=window,a...ddEvent("domready",Slimbox.scanPage);}

Has anyone else seen this?

My core configuration:
Joomla 1.5.21
Kunena: Installed version: Kunena 1.6.0 | 2010-10-03 | 3620 [ Spika ]
jQuery set to noconflict mode
Mootools is set to whatever default is.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by kdpickett.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Can-you post here please, the Kunena report configuration settings ?

I think Mootools isn't loaded in your case, do you see the bbcode toolbar in your forum and the quick reply works ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by kdpickett
Hi Xilibit:
I had a big response written out here including my config settings. However, before I posted anything back I wanted to take another look at some things. One thing I found that kept resonating when considering jQuery vs. Mootools in Joomla is the order in which things are loaded. The opinions are that you can load Javascript / frameworks in one of the two following orders:
Code:
Mootools jQuery jQuery.noconflict() Or jQuery jQuery.noconflict() Mootools

I have the scjquery plugin installed. It has a jQuery.noconflict mode set automatically. I also have jQuery Tools and jQuery UI loaded (on some parts of the site). In addition, I'm using a Joomla module for rendering a suckerfish/superfish Menu that uses jQuery. This component gives you the option to either load its own version of jQuery (versus loading from some other part of the site) in addition to giving you a choice to run in jQuery.noconflict mode. I had load jQuery set to NO and set noconflict set to YES. This was installed and running without any problem prior to installing Kunena.
Here is the order I had:
Code:
jQuery <---| jQuery.noconflict() <---| From scjquery Mootools ~~~ other JS files( jQuery code) <script type="javascript"> <----------| Superfish/Suckerfish jQuery code placement jQuery.noconflict </script>

Now, after I install Kunena, it puts a bunch more JS file loads in addition to some JS code in the header just after the Mootools JS load and before the superfish code section. It's at that point where the problem occurs. The reason is the second jQuery.noconflict mode is grabbing the $ global and claiming it for its own. At that point, anything defined previously in the Kunena Mootools code is basically NULL when Mootools wants to call it.
My solution was to go into the Superfish module and uncheck the noconflict mode setting. I should have done that anyway once I installed the scjquery plugin. I had forgotten about it. Anyway, once I disabled that noconflict, the error message went away and the Kunena JS works fine. Quick Reply works and so does the BB code (neither did before). So, hopefully this will help someone else with JS framework conflicts.

You can mark this as solved. Thanks for the quick reply and for a great product. You guys have put a lot of great work into this ( since I started using it at 1.5.9) and it's really impressive at all the improvements you have made.

Thanks,
Keith

More
13 years 3 months ago #4 by ssnobben
I hope Kuena solve those problem also.

I am investigating when its the right time to switch for a fully working phpBB 3.0.8 with a lot of mods to Kuena 1.6.+ but there seems still to be some problems with this ever Joomla mootools/Jquery conflicts that seems to be so much work for everyone to care about.

I also have Superfish and I get so tired of seeing these javascript problems in the Joomla world everywhere...

sorry for this negative post but this is realty when you have a lot of Joomla addons and cache settings...

All the best hope Kuena will be the next choice of a great working forum for all Joomlers!

More
13 years 3 months ago #5 by kdpickett
@ssnobben:
You are going to encounter problems like this on Joomla regardless. The JS problems occur, in my experience, when you use another JS framework along-side MooTools and it almost always involves the "$" getting claimed or taken away from MooTools. If it's not Kunena, then it would be something else. You can't blame Kunena for this kind of problem because MooTools, at the moment, is native to Joomla. You have to make sure the ordering for which you load your JS frameworks is correct.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds