Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged Last post First?

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by TVGrapevine
Last post First? was created by TVGrapevine
Is it possible to configure so the last post is the first shown?

Much thanks in advance for any assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Last post First?
This is configurable in a user-by-user basis.

(1) Edit your user profile
(2) Use Forum Settings tab
(3) Change Preferred Message Ordering
The following user(s) said Thank You: camsarim

More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by gayan77
Hi there,
I have installed Kunena 1.6.0 on a joomla website running 1.5.20. Currenty when you post, the recent post appear at the end. Is there a way to change this order so new posts at the begining and the oldest one at the end?
Cheers,
G

More
13 years 4 months ago #4 by gayan77
Is there any posibility to change the order of posts for everyone by changing the code or doing something else? In our website we really want to show the new posts/replies at the begining and the first post at the end.
I would like a solution to make the change for everyone at once instead of updating their user profile by each one.
Installed kunena version is 1.6.
Thank you for your time.
Cheers,
G

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Last post First?
As I have written before (and on dozens of occasions in this forum) this is configurable in a user-by-user basis. Let me explain what I mean by this.

Each user can choose how they want to see messages. Each user can edit their user profile in the following way:

(1) Edit your user profile
(2) Use Forum Settings tab
(3) Change Preferred Message Ordering

Some website administrators believe that they are doing their users a "favour" if they decide that their users are too ignorant or too whatever to figure these things out for themselves. Other website administrators feel that their users should not have any choice in the matter. I'm not saying that this is the case in your situation, gayan77, but I would like you to consider the possibility that whatever you decide for your users might not be what your users will be happy with.

Let me give you a practical example by referring you to a discussion we've had on this subject in only the past couple of days: Order of posts Oldest frst in backend .

I am not saying that some global setting feature is impossible to deliver. I am, however, saying that it may be counter-productive to impose a global setting, in any event, if your users don't want it. We all work differently. I happen to prefer the first post first; others prefer the first post last. Whichever way you look at it, you can always get to the most recent message by clicking the "last post" link on the Index, the Recent Topics or My Topics views of your forum. :)

While I have your attention. Please upgrade from K 1.6.0 - K 1.6.1 and from J! 1.5.20 -> J! 1.5.22. Thank you. ;)
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: camsarim

More
13 years 4 months ago #6 by gayan77
Replied by gayan77 on topic Re: Last post First?
Dear Sozzled,
Really appreciate your prompt reply and the detail explanation. I agree with you 100% with your point which users should be able to choose the preferred message ordering system by themselves. I must admit that, it is a ‘plus’ feature already exists in the kunena program. It will be a 'plus plus' feature if administrator can set the default order and then it get overwritten by the user's preference. ;)

But we have a special situation where we need the recent reply/post to appear at the start of the discussion. I understand this is currently not possible to set via the configuration page by administrator and just wondering is there any way I can change it in the code for now until you release a version in the future with that capability?

Thank you so much for pointing that out about the new versions. I tried already to update Kunena to 1.6.1 few days ago but it failed. I haven’t had a chance to browse the forum with error message yet. I will try it again and see whether any others had similar errors otherwise will post a new topic in the forum.

Thanks for you support.;)
Cheers,
G

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Last post First?
There's a really easy solution to this problem (and to everyone else who finds themselves int the same situation).

Create a sticky post (or an announcement) that says the following:

"Dear members,

We really want everyone to use our forums effectively so we want you read this very important message: www.kunena.org/forum/159-k-16-common-que...7272-last-post-first

Thank you"

There you go. Problem solved. ;)

gayan77 wrote:

We have a special situation where we need the recent reply/post to appear at the start of the discussion.

Your situation isn't really so special. You want your recent replies to appear at the first displayed message in topic. You users may not. That's the difference. The start of the discussion is always the start of the discussion.

If you agree with me 100% then we're certainly not arguing. The simple truth is that feature you have requested does not currently exist in K 1.6. If it essential that this facility must be included as a feature of your forum then, if someone else is prepared to make the changes for you (or other users are willing to support the inclusion of the feature and expedite the process by offering to contribute towards the development costs) then this can be achieved. I'm just a user - I'm not a developer.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 4 months ago #8 by gayan77
Replied by gayan77 on topic Re: Last post First?
That is not the solution i am looking for.
Our situation is special because all the admins, moderators and users want to see the recent reply/post first. In normal situations where users want to configure their preffered way of displaying, you are right and your solution works.

In my previous post i mentioned that, i know this feature currently not in the config panel. that is why i am asking other users whether they know anything else i can do to sort this list the other way around. for eg changing sql or something. i read a post from another user who had a solution for an older version of kunena. (i think 1.5.13)

Thank you.

More
13 years 4 months ago #9 by benshee
Replied by benshee on topic Last post First
Hello! could you please help me.

How can i do the same thing with kunena 1.6.1 ?

www.kunena.org/forum/139-k-15-support-ar...-post-order-solution

Please tell me how to change default post order at forum to desc ( Last post First ) (php)

Not in the profile! to change (post order).

Thank you.

More
13 years 4 months ago #10 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Last post First
Hello,

you can change only in profiles the post order in kunena 1.6.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds